How does Barrel contour relates to precision

nctta

Looking to build a light weight hunting rifle in 6.5/06. I have a Hart built 6.5/06 that is very precise and accurate but is a varmint contour and fairly heavy. I like the 6.5-06 and would like to build one for my wife. All that said, how light of a countour can I get away with while still maintaining the potential for precision?

In a 6.5mm...I'd go with a standard magnum contour (~.650" at the muzzle).

That should be plenty enough steel to give a good stable, yet reasonably light, hunting rifle....should be around 9.25 lbs with a 24" barrel, that is fully equipped loaded and ready to hunt.

A picture is worth 1,000 words...the one on the right is my 280 Ackley (.650" at the muzzle), the one on the left is a 270 Winchester in a Model 70 Featherweight.

Krieger will make a 6.5mm Chromoly barrel in any contour including their smallest, a #0 contour. If they didn't think a contour that small would be accurate, I don't think they would offer it.

If you want one made from Stainless Steel, the smallest they list is a #4 contour. I think they will make a 6.5 barrel in a #3.5 contour if you ask them to.

Krieger will make a 6.5mm Chromoly barrel in any contour including their smallest, a #0 contour. If they didn't think a contour that small would be accurate, I don't think they would offer it.

If you want one made from Stainless Steel, the smallest they list is a #4 contour. I think they will make a 6.5 barrel in a #3.5 contour if you ask them to.
I just talked to them this week. The smallest stainless non-fluted 6.5mm barrel they'd make is a #4. The smallest stainless fluted barrel would be a #5PLUS.
Yes, they'd go much smaller with their chro-moly barrels.

I went with Brux for my 6.5, largely due to their willingness to make a smaller stainless barrel. I got a #3 fluted. I originally wanted a #3 non-fluted or maybe a #4 fluted. The fluted 3 may be a little light. We'll see.

Why do you think the flutted 3 will be too light?
It won't, really. I was thinking one particular rifle I have seems a little lighter on the front end than I prefer. I wanted something a tiny bit heavier. A non-fluted #3 or a fluted #4 was what I estimated would be about right for me. Fluting the #3 may make it a little lighter than I originally planned. I considered calling back and asking him to change that to a fluted #4, but decided to leave it alone. I am a novice at this. All my rifles have been factory built. I was just taking calipers to my barrels and saying, "I'd like something a little thinner than this one . . . but a little thicker than this one." So, I'm really just guessing. :rolleyes:

I did not specifically ask that, but I was told on the phone that the smallest they'd make was a #4 in stainless.

Sometimes additional stuff is available if you ask for it.

When I was more active in competition I'd use standard palma barrels - .82 at the muzzle.

When I shifted the same rifles to hunting use, I went with Bartlein #3 barrels. The only change in accuracy I noticed was longer strings. The more thin barrels don't dissipate heat nearly as well as palmas. 1st and 2nd shot accuracy didn't change IMO.

Accuracy wise, if you reload you can do amazing things with a thin barrel. At least for the first few shots, and that's all you really need for a hunting rig.

All thin barrels are not created equal for the effects of heat either. Some thin barrels will walk a bit when they get heated. Some thin barrels will walk A LOT when they get heated. Most often inaccuracy due to barrel heat is not a concern for a hunting rifle.

IMO, I would rather go hunting with a thin barrel... rather than a clean barrel. (Which people do all the time).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.