Featured How long does it usually take a barrel to break in

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by revturbo9967, Jul 7, 2017.

1. revturbo9967

revturbo9967 Well-Known Member

Now I have to consistently do this. Not an easy task for me who's technically a beginner. . Next range day I'm bringing the target back to 100 and getting this load zeroed. Then start pushing it to 400+

2. Zerk

Zerk Well-Known Member

Sounds great to me. I'd be happy with it. My loads and shooting are not there. Under 1",but 1/2 at 100. Starting to experiment with seating depth now.

3. darldavidson

darldavidson New Member

I just had a custom rifle built by Valhalla Rifleworks. It was built around my old Rem Mag action ... HS Precision stock, Precision Research barrel (1:8 twist), Jewell trigger, and a Nightforce 5.5 by 22 scope. I shot and cleaned after each shot for the first 15 then 3 shots and cleaned. It only took 24 rounds before I found the correct load: 69.1 grs H1000, GM210M primers, 162 gr Amax Match ... round 25 was a fouling shot and 26, 27, 28 were .072 group.
    IMG_0183.JPG
    When reloading: full resize works best for this rifle (head space .003), clean with ultrasonic, adjust powder by tenth of a grain to get best group, adjust bullet depth (5000th of lands best for this rifle).

TwoMore and longgunshooter like this.
  4. tim odum

tim odum New Member

Nothing wrong with anything, the deal is there is so much surface on this bullet its just laying that much copper down the barrel
    i'm shooting a 7RUM and a 28 and they both do the same thing, this bullet is over a inch and a half long.
    300 RUM shooting a 210 is not as bad but it also likes to be clean.
    i'm one of those guy who don't clean anything until it opens up but these longer bullets will change your habits. Clean it with the Sinclair paste and sweets it really does not even need a foul shot!
    15 or 20 shots just clean it!