How long does it usually take a barrel to break in

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by revturbo9967, Jul 7, 2017.

1. revturbo9967

revturbo9967 Well-Known Member

Now I have to consistently do this. Not an easy task for me who's technically a beginner. . Next range day I'm bringing the target back to 100 and getting this load zeroed. Then start pushing it to 400+

2. Zerk

Zerk Well-Known Member

Sounds great to me. I'd be happy with it. My loads and shooting are not there. Under 1",but 1/2 at 100. Starting to experiment with seating depth now.

3. darldavidson

darldavidson New Member

I just had a custom rifle built by Valhalla Rifleworks. It was built around my old Rem Mag action ... HS Precision stock, Precision Research barrel (1:8 twist), Jewell trigger, and a Nightforce 5.5 by 22 scope. I shot and cleaned after each shot for the first 15 then 3 shots and cleaned. It only took 24 rounds before I found the correct load: 69.1 grs H1000, GM210M primers, 162 gr Amax Match ... round 25 was a fouling shot and 26, 27, 28 were .072 group.
    IMG_0183.JPG
    When reloading: full resize works best for this rifle (head space .003), clean with ultrasonic, adjust powder by tenth of a grain to get best group, adjust bullet depth (5000th of lands best for this rifle).

strap14, TwoMore and longgunshooter like this.
  4. tim odum

tim odum New Member

Nothing wrong with anything, the deal is there is so much surface on this bullet its just laying that much copper down the barrel
    i'm shooting a 7RUM and a 28 and they both do the same thing, this bullet is over a inch and a half long.
    300 RUM shooting a 210 is not as bad but it also likes to be clean.
    i'm one of those guy who don't clean anything until it opens up but these longer bullets will change your habits. Clean it with the Sinclair paste and sweets it really does not even need a foul shot!
    15 or 20 shots just clean it!

5. maninthemaze

maninthemaze Well-Known Member

R33 is dirty powder as well. Ryan Pierce and a few others who specialize in the 28 are recommending VihtVouri N570. I'm running it in my 28/195 combo. It's throated long for the 195s though. But I'm right around 80 grains and getting 3040 fps. YMMV

6. strap14

strap14 Member

7. strap14

strap14 Member

What caliber? You mentioned the load of 69.1 grs of H1000,
    Primers, 162 Amax but I wasn't seeing which caliber. Also I've been a machinist most of my adult life, so the amount you said your bullet was off (you wrote of), the lands I presume was meant to be, five one thousandths of an inch, is that correct? That would usually be marked as .005". With these longer bullets, we really need to have a good gage to consistantly set them don't we? They have so long of an tangent/ogive area, reducing slowly from the shorter major diameter, especially if they are a BT bullet that you have to creep up on the seating depth, to get it set just right. Great shooting, I've never had a rifle that accurate myself.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  8. TwoMore

TwoMore Well-Known Member

on his target where he sized his group it says .284

9. TwoMore

TwoMore Well-Known Member

I am shooting a big Seven with the 195 , one thing I do is after cleaning and before my first shot I dry patch, then run a patch of graphite thru it, amazing how that relieves copper. I only do it before the first shot but it has really helped keep the copper down. and my first shot is always in the group

10. TracySes23

TracySes23 Well-Known Member

11. TracySes23

TracySes23 Well-Known Member

Only 60 rounds thru your rifle. I'd try changing your load some up or down your powder charge. I'd be flinching on a load that heavy myself. I bought a new rifle 5 years ago & even with hand loads it never seemed to shoot well. I tried everything except factory loads. It was depressing to say the least. I was thinking maybe it was my age, I was 70 at the time. Finally I invested in a premium barrel from Shilen & after getting it sighted in, I was no longer depressed. I still ain't as good as I was when I was 30 years younger, but I don't feel so bad anymore. Now I'm 76 & can't see those fine crosshairs on a 36X target scope well. They sometimes seem to disappear. Changing back to a lower powered scope with a thicker crosshair solved that problem. But it sounds to me you're doing pretty good!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  12. Switchback2

Switchback2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it all that much till 140-160 rds though barrel.. Not sure which brand barrel you running but all my Bartleins seem to be in that range when they speed up and steady in,, I also have a 28 Nosler mine is Thoated just for 195s (3.800)like you with only 60 Rds on barrel and its shooting Great but I know when I get to that point I will have to tweak my loads alittle as I am on the Higher Node of RL33 and 195s,