How Big was your biggest turkey

J E Custom

After taking several "Very" large Turkeys I became curious about the weight compared to other
turkeys taken in Texas.

We only have two species where I hunt (The Eastern and the Rio Grand) and the largest eastern
that I took weighed 29.2 lbs and the Rio Grand weighed 26.4 lbs. These weights were verified on
two different scales.

The largest Rio Grand taken in Texas that has been reported was 28.8 lbs. Mine was 2.4 pounds
lighter.

But the largest Eastern reported in Texas was 28.12 lbs and mine was 0.6 pounds heaver(29.2).

Not that it is a big deal, but I could have potentially had the largest reported in Texas.

The point to this post is that anyone that hunts Turkeys should know what there state record
is so they won't make the same mistake I did.

There are other things that you need to know that must be recorded for a total score for your
Turkey(Beard length, number and size of the spurs, Etc).

So before you go hunting, Make sure you have this information so that if you have an unusually
large that might be a potential record you can get it verified by the Parks and Wildlife in your
state.

Good hunting and good luck.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.