Hogs Take over Texas

I have a client who's Brother is comming in to Austin in March and he wants to hunt a hog, where can I go to find a hunt for this guy?
The client is a big loan client and I want to keep her business in a tight mortgage loan environment. I have a 25-06 to let him use, I think that ought to drop em like a bag of dirt.
I'm in Houston.
Any info would be appreciated.

In california ( The land of fruits and nuts ) don't even think about waveing
at anyone or you will ether be mugged,cursed,or sexually assalted.

You left out SUED by the ACLU or CAIR for "Offending" someone or "harrassing" someone.
Now if your smoking pot or molesting a youth, you can do what you like.
NICE PEOPLE THOSE CA AHOLES. THTS WHY THEY ARE BROKE!
NOT EVEN ARNOLD CAN HELP THEM. IOUs going out in the mail instead of tax refunds - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....NOW your offended!

"Some ranches have even stocked them against the warnings
of large hunting clubs of what would happen."

Some people relased some hogs in southern ks and got caught. wildlife and parks fined them $20,000 each per hog, the let 20 go total!

I have a client who's Brother is comming in to Austin in March and he wants to hunt a hog, where can I go to find a hunt for this guy?

There are hogs here as well as exotics as well as fossil limestone formations

diamondaranchtexas.com
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f56/diamond-ranch-25273/#post204669

There are hogs here as well as a lot of wetlands and birds

Big Woods Ranch

Experience the THRILL!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f69/jeff-texas-pig-hunt-27467/

I don't know where Austin is but maybe you do, so you can decide if these are close enough.

The food will be great at either.

If you will take me hunting I wll listen to your mortgage troubles. :D

WOW, you guys are the best friend I ever had.
If any of you live in Houston, and shoot at American, I'd like to meet up with yall ansd do some 300, or 600 yard plinking.
In the meantime, I'm a Loan Officer, and a Realtor - I got SUCH A DEAL for my shooter friends...Let me know if I can offer you any info back as a thank you.lightbulb

If you will take me hunting I wll listen to your mortgage troubles. :D
HAHAHA, we are not going to live that long!
Where are you? Houston? Texas?
I have a trip booked for upstate NY in April for Wood Chuck hunting. NOW THATS A FUN HUNT...
Saw an Albino once. It wasnt my turn to shoot, and my pal got so spooked he couldnt wet himself.
It was TOO funny.

I guess this post is FYI because its not going to help anyone very much but as J E Custom said finding a place more friendly than Texas will be a hard chore. In my community if your dog is in the road and someone runs over it they will find out who owns it and tell you about it then offer to replace it with what ever you want.

I have lived in Motley Co for 60 years and have hunted for 53 of those years mostly around my home as it has pretty well furnished everything I ever wanted to hunt. I have a good friend that was raised at Crowell Tx and he always talked about how bad the hogs were there and told stories of how much damage they did. At the time I thought to myself how I wish that I had some on my place to hunt and there's no way they could be as destructive as he said. WRONG!!! What they won't tear up they poop on. Our state game biologist said that to maintain an even population we have to kill 80% of the population each year and that ain't gonna happen. The state brings in a helicopter several times during the winter to kill off what they can and have killed over 600 a day several times in my area. A couple of months back they came and shot 42 behind my house and several days later came back and shot some more and that night my neighbor and myself drove around his field and seen 30 more and this was a mile from my house. We've been pretty open minded who we let hunt and this summer we let some people hunt and one of them was from Wisconson. As a joke I told them what I wanted for my calves and cows if they should shoot one and guess what, yep they shot a calf but they owned up to it. I would have never known what happened to it if they had not been honest. I could have lost $800 dollars just as easy as them paying for it. I got lucky, they were good people! These kind of experiences leave you with mixed emotions about letting people hunt. Also these incidents educate the whole community on guest hunters and sometimes the education is not a positive thing. This relates to what LewisH posted.

Here the hogs seem to "hole up" during the summer months when everything greens up and they seem to roam around during the winter months. Feeders work great but if you shoot them at the feeder they change their feeding habits or move to another area. Shooting them in a field doesn't seem to affect their schedule as much for some reason. I think this is why some days you see a hundred and for a week or more you might not see a single one.

The only thing that comes to mind that they seen to help with is snakes. We just don't have many snakes anymore but that can also be said about Turkeys and Quail. They will eat ANYTHING dead or alive.

Sorry about the drivel, guess I just had to say something.

How hard or expensive is it to hog hunt in Texas if your out of state?
What is the best time of year?
And were would be a good area to hunt? I have a friend That lives in San Antonio, anything in that area?

I know its a lot of questions, but it sounds like it could be easy, conveniant, and beneficial to the state. Any resources would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
You can find places for free, but about $200 to $300 per weekend with a place to stay is the going rate. Within 75 miles of San Antonio should be several places. The spring or early fall is a good time to hunt. Summer is OK, but hot!!! Hogs move more at night in the summer. Also summer provides more snakes that can be a problem. Winter is fine to hunt, but deer hunting takes precedence and most landowners do not allow hog hunters that might upset the deer hunters. In Texas you can hunt at night with a light, but hogs become light shy pretty quick. Your freind should be able to find a place for you to go. If they can't find a place PM me and I will give you a name. Good luck!!

well took a few extra months but finally get to come back stateside.. got some new toys i cant wait to try out.. how goes the hunting? anybody doing well..?
keith

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts