Hogs in west tn.

I was at my local john deere dealership and a salesman had this sitting next to his desk. He said he found it in the land between the lakes area last weekend. He also said there were live traps put out by the feds. He said people told him the hog probably was not very big. I am thinking it was pushing close to 300 lbs. I have a skull from a 240 pounder and this one is a little bigger not to mention the tusk holes in the lower jaw are at least 3/4 inch in diameter. I maybe off but I don't think by much. My property is about 10 miles on the other side of the tn river . If they learn to cross bridges, I maybe in trouble
Don't they swim pretty good?

I have yet to see a hog in the middle TN area while hunting. While hunting in south Texas the hogs were thick as the thorns on the vegetation.
I have seen what I thought was a hog in Williamson County. Its the only thing I can think it would be. I was walking down a logging road and something shot through the brush like a rocket. All I saw was the back. Definitely not a deer, dog, or cat of any kind. They were actually listed in the area of the Williamson and Rutherford county line are which is not far from where I was. They say there used to be a game reserve in the area that had hogs behind a high fence.

Hog hunting is also illegal in TN, except for a couple of WMA's in east TN, and even then it's only legal as incidental take while legally hunting deer or bears. There is one particular east TN wma that has a couple week hog only season in late January. Hog hunting anywhere in middle or west TN is illegal any time of year.
I believe that is the Big South Fork

Hog hunting is also illegal in TN, except for a couple of WMA's in east TN, and even then it's only legal as incidental take while legally hunting deer or bears. There is one particular east TN wma that has a couple week hog only season in late January. Hog hunting anywhere in middle or west TN is illegal any time of year.
Well it's a good thing that I didn't see one. Good to know and it seems I need to look closer at the regulations.

From the TWRA website

Landowners have more opportunity than ever before to control wild hogs on their properties. They can shoot wild hogs year-round during the day without limit and trap with bait outside of big game seasons. Furthermore, landowners may obtain an exemption from their TWRA regional office enabling them to kill wild hogs at night using a spotlight, trap year-round,etc. Once an exemption is obtained, family members and tenants that qualify under the Farmland Owner License Exemption Statement and up to ten additional designees may help private landowners with wild hog control efforts. For properties over 1,000 acres, an additional designee per 100 acres may be assigned. In order to renew each year, exemption holders are required to report the number of hogs killed on their property and the manner in which they were killed to TWRA. Landowners may also take advantage of technical assistance provided by TWRA to help with a trapping program or additional wild hog control techniques. USDA Wildlife Services personnel are also available to provide technical assistance for wild hog control by calling (615) 736-5506.

n't they swim pretty good?
Missouri Conservation Dept. STRONGLY prefers individuals NOT hunt feral hogs. MoCon has a very aggressive live trapping program working to control hog invasion from Arkansas into Southern Missouri. Maybe should dispatch MoCon to southern Texas border!?!?!!? They use an elevated circular fence that drops catching the whole sounder as they feed. Hunters may take a few from a sounder but seldom wipe out the whole sounder. The escapees become educated real quickly and become much harder to hunt and trap. MoCon research indicates hunting actually serves to disperse the hog population causing greater widespread infestation. I know numerous Dept biologists and program managers, and discern no indication that the Dept is just trying to "thwart hog hunter fun", as some have contended. Family members and friends with properties in southern Missouri report very positive relations with MoCon and excellent hog control on their properties where they have coordinated with MoCon resources..

From MoCon wwebsite: Feral hogs can be aggressive and have been known to attack humans. But the greater risk is that of contracting diseases and parasites from handling or processing infected hogs. Swine brucellosis and trichinosis have been documented in feral hogs in Missouri and can affect humans and domestic animals.

WHY IS HOG HUNTING PROHIBITED ON PUBLIC LANDS? Hunting is an effective tool for managing populations of wildlife. Feral hogs are not wildlife. The goal is to eliminate feral hogs, not manage them. When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders. Shooting into a group of 15 hogs and killing one or two hogs does not reduce the population. Shooting scatters the sounder, making trapping efforts designed at catching the entire group more difficult. Hogs are very intelligent and quickly become trap-shy and wary of baited sites. With their high reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce populations. Feral hog hunting also creates incentive for illegal releases. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than shooting the animal so we can work together towards elimination. WHY NOT PUT A BOUNTY ON FERAL HOGS? The Feral Hog Elimination Partnership does not support a bounty on feral hogs. Bounties have been used across the United States for decades on a variety of species, including rattlesnakes, groundhogs, foxes, beavers, bears, coyotes and others and have never been shown to eliminate a species. A bounty would also provide financial incentives to those who illegally release feral hogs. The Partnership's goal is to eliminate feral hogs in Missouri, and a bounty will not help achieve this goal.

Last edited:
Missouri Conservation Dept. STRONGLY prefers individuals NOT hunt feral hogs. MoCon has a very aggressive live trapping program working to control hog invasion from Arkansas into Southern Missouri. Maybe should dispatch MoCon to southern Texas border!?!?!!? They use an elevated circular fence that drops catching the whole sounder as they feed. Hunters may take a few from a sounder but seldom wipe out the whole sounder. The escapees become educated real quickly and become much harder to hunt and trap. MoCon research indicates hunting actually serves to disperse the hog population causing greater widespread infestation. I know numerous Dept biologists and program managers, and discern no indication that the Dept is just trying to "thwart hog hunter fun", as some have contended. Family members and friends with properties in southern Missouri report very positive relations with MoCon and excellent hog control on their properties where they have coordinated with MoCon resources..
The government is so successful at everything they do I'm sure we all know how it will turn out... They have a foolproof plan that only failed because they were unable to fully implement it due to lack of proper funding. The Hunters made it more difficult to catch them so we need to stop all hunting and double funding so our plan can succeed. Sound familiar to anyone?

The government is so successful at everything they do I'm sure we all know how it will turn out... They have a foolproof plan that only failed because they were unable to fully implement it due to lack of proper funding. The Hunters made it more difficult to catch them so we need to stop all hunting and double funding so our plan can succeed. Sound familiar to anyone?
No one dislikes........OK hates, despises, detests, fights........government "public teat suckers" and functions more than me. Opposing government surpasses baseball, football, and comes close to my hunting/shooting/fishing passions as being my personal favorite past time. But, MOCon seems to break the stereotype. In addition to the feral hog eradication program, they have brought back deer and turkey populations from near extinction in Missouri. They have brought back black bears to the point where we had our first hunting season last year. Elk are being re-introduced into Missouri on the Peck Ranch. They have made available vast resources available for outdoor enjoyment....hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, et el, et el. They have provided excellent resources to property owners to improve wildlife and habitat and control erosion on their private lands, and fight poaching and trespass.. I understand how politicians and government functions see We The Little Peeps' money as theirs to skim, scam, squander, launder and pocket, and with which to by the votes of the Government Plantation Dwellers. But, for my 70+ years, I have observed and experienced that MoCon tax dollars are well spent, managed, providing an excellent ROI to taxpayers. MoCon comes as close as we will ever find to being what a government function was intended to be. They are an outlier in the world of government. However, I'm not surprised that your experiences with Government differs vastly.

Last edited:
No one dislikes........OK hates, despises, detests, fights........government "public teet suckers" and functions more than me. Opposing government surpasses baseball, football, and comes close to my hunting/shooting/fishing passions as being my personal favorite past time. But, MOCon seems to break the stereotype. In addition to the feral hog eradication program, they have brought back deer and turkey populations from near extinction in Missouri. They have brought back black bears to the point where we had our first hunting season last year. Elk are being re-introduced into Missouri on the Peck Ranch. They have made available vast resources available for outdoor enjoyment....hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, et el, et el. They have provided excellent resources to property owners to improve wildlife and habitat and control erosion on their private lands, and fight poaching and trespass.. I understand how politicians and government functions see We The Little Peeps' money as theirs to skim, scam, squander, launder and pocket, and with which to by the votes of the Government Plantation Dwellers. But, for my 70+ years, I have observed and experienced that MoCon tax dollars are well spent, managed, providing an excellent ROI to taxpayers. They are an outlier in the world of government. However, I'm not surprised that your experiences with Government differs vastly.
Actually, I think our Game and Fish does more with less than any other Government Agency I'm aware of. some of their accomplishments. Restored the wild turkey. Imported mule deer to breed with out whitetails resulting in a population explosion of larger, more disease resistant animals. Restored Black Bear and Elk populations to huntable numbers. Created the best Brown Trout fishery in the World. Bought and opened a lot of land to public hunting etc... This being said I shouldn't be knocking yours, I just have a really bad distrust of anyone in government right now.