Hearing Protection

carl.gotwald

I've been wearing earmuff hearing protection for years and is a pain when using a long gun. Ready to move to an ear protection that fits properly in your ear and provides the proper protection needed?
Thank you

Great idea to care about your hearing!:)

I wish I could use these ear bud style noise attenuators! Unfortunately my inner ears are oddly shaped and the buds just don't fit and stay in place.

I went to a reputable Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to have a set of custom molded in the ear sets which have the noise cutoff feature and let you hear normal stuff. Not cheap but comfortable and they work!

There are kits you can buy for making a cast of your inner ear which you then send off to a company which will make you a set from the molds. There are also off the shelf sets which are complete DIY.

I have the earbud style of Sound Gear and love them. But like sable tireur, when I replace them, I will get a custom molded pair. I shoot a lot of braked rifles and double up at the range, but for hunting, now I don't leave home without them. My only complaint with the axils is the cord around my neck, but that's simply personal preference.

I have some peltor TEPs. I don't think that's super useful for the average person, but, they have a non com version that's made for civilian use. They supposedly have the same tech.
It's the peltor EEPs.

I prefer the Comtacs though, or muffs in general (not specifically the comtacs) because they tend to filter out the wind better when the super hearing microphones are on.

Last edited:
I've been wearing earmuff hearing protection for years and is a pain when using a long gun. Ready to move to an ear protection that fits properly in your ear and provides the proper protection needed?
Thank you
I know what you mean. For my proper cheek weld, the right ear muff hits the comb and gets displaced for a proper fit/protection. I still have a couple of e-hearing muffs, but I have transitioned to Axil, and it works well for me. This might boil down to personal preference. Good luck!

Axil 1 of 2.jpg

Axil 2 of 2.jpg

I do not have a problem with muffs. I shoot shotgun, rifle, and pistol. I use Walker's Digital Razor X-trm.

This company is supposed to be great for in the ear. They use actual audiologists to make the impression of your ear for a custom fit.

I use EAR Inc molded inserts. They work great in the field and are relatively comfortable. They are like wearing a hearing aid and amplify the noise until it reaches a certain decibel then shuts it off. One downside is when you hear noises you can't tell which direction it is coming from. The other is cost?

I use Otto Noisebarrier ear buds when hunting. On the range, around brakes, I use double protection, foam in the ear and muffs over the ears. The Ottos have great dB protection, batteries last for days and comes with a battery charger that last months if you're remote camping. I'm 75 and still have great hearing because I always use ear protection while shooting, using power tools, etc.

I use the Sound Gear electronic plugs. I am very happy with them. They are expensive but my health insurance covered them.

With Oto for five? years. A few brands of muffs ride along. Had custom molded in my crazy canals and broke them. At 77 I may be too deaf to do another evaluation anyway.

"The other key problem with the laboratory measurements, as commonly utilized, is that averaged (mean) values for a group of 10 subjects are used to predict the performance for an individual wearer in an occupational setting. Even if the laboratory data were representative of the actual group using the device, the individual variability is large enough that attempts at predicting one person's performance from group data can easily err by up to 20 dB.2"
From: https://hearingreview.com/hearing-p...ducing-f-mire-testing-background-and-concepts

Point is, NRR 26 plugs can offer in-ear reduction of 6dB. Not nearly enough to protect against hearing damage. Individual testing is necessary. Or cut the noise to acceptable levels at the source, if increasing proximity isn't an answer. For shooters, sound suppressors are the best method. Sometimes not affordable or not legal, but turning the volume down is the only proven way to prevent hearing damage.

Many other scientific articles have been published on the matter. Seek for yourself as desired.

I suffer from tinnitus because of long term noise exposure and insufficient protection by means of EAR yellow cylindrical plugs and later NRR26 orange plugs which sound good but measure 6dB due to bone-transmission of loud impulse noises. Guess where those came from. I wouldnt wish the ringing on anyone and only offer this blurb to protect anyone savvy enough to listen and research for yourself.

Cut dB at the source or get away. Or suffer from the ringing fairy.