Hammer Bullets compressing my powder charge.

I remember the first time I was using monolithic slugs and came across this phenomenon. yes, there are better powders for the 270 Win. I was an H-1000, AA-3100, H-4831, and H-4350 guy. I went with all the powders and found that for monos my guns shot best with H-4831 and AA-3100. since AA-3100 is no longer made (cryin shame too) and H-1000 is as scarce as hens teeth: my 270 Win's get H-4350 and H-4831 SSC with monos (Cutting Edge, Berger, Hornady, and Hammer).

This is a max load for cup and core bullets not mono's. Vihtavuori lists for their N165 in a 270 Win:
52.8 gr. MAX w/ 140 Barnes mono and 50.5 gr MAX w/ 150 Barnes mono.

I got that. I posted exactly what he was using for reference but I think you missed the part about his seating depth technique, see #109.

I just looked an you are correct that will likely fix my problem.
It may and MAY NOT! YOU NEED TO KNOW ALL Your chamber measurements, searing depths, etc. first. Start 10% low on power charge and work up to pressure before you blow something up and get hurt!

Tech4,
For reference, here is a photo of 3 of my cartridges loaded with Hammer bullets. A 6.5 Creedmoor, a 25-284 and a 243Ack Imp. These bullets are seated where they shoot best at a specific base to ogive measurement. The rings (driving bands) have nothing to do with seating depth. Note that all 3 are different. Depends on the gun/chamber/cartridge and magazine.

20200323_190207.jpg

I did read the whole thing and not to be rude, but it doesn't seem like you entirely know what you're doing. That is why I think you should read more loading manuals and do some more research before you hurt yourself or your rifle. You can't use the same powder charge for every bullet you intend to shoot. Also seating the bullet based on looks because of the rings on it is a terrible practice. I seriously don't want to see you damage your rifle or hurt yourself.
First I didn't shoot it I saw there was a problem and stopped. I don't think you understand the the problem. I will try to explain it better.The OBTO is 2.7 when I install the bullet it is hitting powder at 3" that is .3" into the powder so I removed powder as a test and to have a uncompressed I would have only 40 gr of powder in the case and min is 51 gr. That could blow up my rifle. So I measured the Hammer bullet is OBTO. 942 the ELD-X is .738 that is the problem. Steve is going to send me a box of 117 I will have to work up a load with a different powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.