Hammer bullets coexist with Cup/Lead Core bullet loads

It's worth testing to ease your mind but I haven't noticed a loss of accuracy due to switching over without cleaning. I may shoot 5-8 different loads at the range and only clean when I get home. It wouldn't be unusual for me to shoot 5-6 groups with c&c bullets and then test a few Hammer loads (or visa-versa). I have found many excellent Hammer loads that were shot after the c&c testing. It may be possible that shooting the Hammers would group even tighter on a squeaky-clean barrel but I'm normally seeing .5moa with a carefully developed load without any special attention to bullet type switching.

Personally, I have tested much of the common thought-out and repeated loading/shooting methods only to determine that they often didn't pan out in my testing. There are just so many variables when dealing with individual rifles, components and loading methods that it's hard to say what works better in your rifle without testing.

There are few absolutes in this great and intriguing hobby.

It's worth testing to ease your mind but I haven't noticed a loss of accuracy due to switching over without cleaning. I may shoot 5-8 different loads at the range and only clean when I get home. It wouldn't be unusual for me to shoot 5-6 groups with c&c bullets and then test a few Hammer loads (or visa-versa). I have found many excellent Hammer loads that were shot after the c&c testing. It may be possible that shooting the Hammers would group even tighter on a squeaky-clean barrel but I'm normally seeing .5moa with a carefully developed load without any special attention to bullet type switching.

Personally, I have tested much of the common thought-out and repeated loading/shooting methods only to determine that they often didn't pan out in my testing. There are just so many variables when dealing with individual rifles, components and loading methods that it's hard to say what works better in your rifle without testing.

There are few absolutes in this great and intriguing hobby.
I don't find any pattern or formula. Kinda like some brass bullet combos seem to be more prone to cold welding. I just bring the cleaning station to the range and if something seems funky the barrel gets a cleaning. If we get a rifle from someone else then the first thing that happens is it gets all the old copper out of it. We have had some that took a couple of days of scrubbing to get all the layers of copper out.

I have been swapping between my 115 HHT load with H4350 and my fireforming load with 115 bergers and rl16 in my 25CM and haven't noticed any accuracy issues. POI is off but that's it. Haven't cleaned the barrel yet either. These were shot yesterday.

Attachments

• 20240416_165803.jpg
    20240416_165803.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240416_174800.jpg
    20240416_174800.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 33
So if I understand the process, it's the composition of the copper and zinc, specifically the ratio of copper to zinc.

I am sure it's proprietary information, but I would like to know if there is a zone, this ratio to this ratio you are OK, above or below this ratio all bets are off.

Interesting information for sure and I have heard it in the past about switching from cup and core to solid copper should be avoided without a deep clean.
Not exactly proprietary, 2 alloys are used for Guilding metal, 95/5 or 90/10 or in other words, 5% tin or 10% tin. These 2 have differing hardness and friction numbers. Pure copper is stickier than Guilding metal, the more tin content, the less friction and increased hardness. This is why my 338 & 375 target solid brass bullets (non expanding) are HBN coated to decrease friction. We tried a few alloys, including pure Bronze, but it is sticky like gum, as is pure copper jackets or solids.

Cheers.

In my 6mm creedmoor i shoot a 87 vmax and 88 hammer hunter and I have shot these two loads side by side and have noticed no difference. Could be my specific instance though. They utilize the same power and charge weight even, they're literally identical loads in every way except the bullet. Try it on paper and see.
I even used the 90 hht some and didn't notice any difference in accuracy potential and poi.
I actually have a video on YouTube of me shooting then side by side.

I have experienced it in Shilen SS match grade barrels and Winchester factory barrels. I am in processes of breaking in a Proof 7PRC but haven't mixed bullet types yet. We'll see shortly! It would be great if it's not an issue.

Any chance this comes down to match grade vs factory barrels or rifling type?
No, my big bores all have match grade barrels, even my 375 Weatherby has an aftermarket cut-rifled barrel. Going from a 260g Accubond to a 250g TSX has woeful accuracy if not cleaned.
My 500 Nitro has button rifled barrels that were lapped, it will not regulate if I shoot banded copper solids after a Woodleigh RNSP.

Cheers.

Love to know who it is trying to sell something because I have never seen it…

Cheers.
So this thread has me thinking about HBN coating all my bullets - including the mono's. Has anyone coated their mono's and observed the results?

As I rarely clean down to bare metal, my "go to" c-c and mono loads appear not to affect one another as my barrel baseline is semi-fouled. I always leave trace amounts of copper in the deeper barrel imperfections. Perhaps I'm too lazy to run it out... I'll ask my analyst (wife). I see more range time in my future.

In my experience it has been alot more noticable in a factory non lapped barrels ,then it does in high end lapped barrels .
I started out just cleaning between different bullets only , but then after a powder change with the same bullet.
Its easy for me to clean between load trials as my range is on the property .
If your range involves a drive from home , either take clean equip with you , or load one bullet with 3=4 powders you want to try ,load two extra rounds for each , inbetween diff powder loads use those two rounds to foul up barrel with the new powder before shooting for group size and SD /ES numbers .

For me i havent found a dirrect direction that barrels follow when changing bullets or powders , it seemed random and very frustrated at the time , so i just clean in between loads to keep the accuracy potential when testing now .
My thinking is that it is simply barrel to barrel attitude ?