cup and core Hunting bullets ?

Willoughby

I have used berger hunt vlds for some time, but I recently heard they are no good for hunting because they are cup and core bullets as are Sierra game Kings ? , and only bonded or A H frame type bullets are good for penetration (hunting use ) I want to know what everyone else thinks about these 2 styles of bullets , My rifles shoot great with Bergers and SGK's very well .5 -.7 moa with very little load development , I have tried Nosler LRAB, Partitions and Barnes x , I didn't get either one to shoot very well , 1.5moa -2.0 moa , I want the very best I can get , I dont mind doing some more load work if needed but 2.0 moa restricts my hunting to under 200 yards - your thoughts appreciated

Bergers are good hunting bullets. People that say they're no good are old school and want 100% weight retention and pass through. I've been using cup and core for awhile now with no issues. I see more damage with those now than I ever did with a bullet that holds its weight

I've used most of them Cup and core are just fine for most of what we do. The Swift A-Frame has excellent terminal performance, and is certainly capable of MOA, and is light in BC.

The bonded bullets can be the best of both worlds, but not always.

The Berger is high on accuracy, and BC, but does have mixed reviews as terminal performance. Issues I think can be avoided with a little care of the hollow point.

I'm currently using the Hammer's, excellent terminal performance, excellent accuracy, does give up a bit of BC, which some counter by driving the lighter bullets faster.

You don't mention some key factors: What range how much BC do you need? intended target? What rifle cartridge combo are you using?

I mostly use a 300WM with 210 Bergers over H1000 but I also sometimes use 3006, usually with the same 210s over H4350 -I hunt NW Montana , shots range from 50 yards to across the canyon to the next ridge , so I want all the bc I can get - but not at the cost of terminal performance - I was planning on giving the Swift a try but right now its hunting season , may still take a day off hunting if I can find some before season ends -

I mostly use a 300WM but I also sometimes use 3006, I hunt NW Montana , shots range from 50 yards to across the canyon to the next ridge , so I want all the bc I can get - but not at the cost of terminal performance - I was planning on giving the Swift a try but right now its hunting season , may still take a day off hunting if I can find some before season ends -

215 Berger and h1000 is proven and working like a charm

......,,I mostly use a 300WM with 210 Bergers over H1000 but I also sometimes use 3006, usually with the same 210s over H4350 -I hunt NW Montana , shots range from 50 yards to across the canyon to the next ridge , so I want all the bc I can get - but not at the cost of terminal performance - I was planning on giving the Swift a try but right now its hunting season , may still take a day off hunting if I can find some before season ends......... -

I wouldn't change anything.

I have used berger hunt vlds for some time, but I recently heard they are no good for hunting because they are cup and core bullets as are Sierra game Kings ? , and only bonded or A H frame type bullets are good for penetration (hunting use ) I want to know what everyone else thinks about these 2 styles of bullets , My rifles shoot great with Bergers and SGK's very well .5 -.7 moa with very little load development , I have tried Nosler LRAB, Partitions and Barnes x , I didn't get either one to shoot very well , 1.5moa -2.0 moa , I want the very best I can get , I dont mind doing some more load work if needed but 2.0 moa restricts my hunting to under 200 yards - your thoughts appreciated

Willoughby, I'm surprised that you couldn't get the Barnes' to group well. Yes, it happens....but, is fairly rare. I'm sure that you are aware that for most folks, backing them way off the lands (.030" to .050") seems to work.

Back a decade or two, I was loading Partitions in a .270. It wasn't exactly "match accuracy", around 1 1/4" 5 shot groups, but acceptable for "bigger" big game out to perhaps 400.

We're (wife and I) using Barnes, and have since the early '90's, and wouldn't consider anything else. Using her "box-stock" Win. Model 70, with TTSX's, it's capable of 3 shots at or under 2" @ 300 yards. My rifle a bit better, but it's not quite stock.

With the Barnes', unless pushed very hard, you will not get the "explosive" expansion as seen with conventional cup and core. If you're only shooting "small" big game.....maybe cup and core is the answer. If you are like us, where game can run from antelope/ whitetail type game, to elk, moose, or the unlikely event an aggressive grizzly, at ranges from feet to 600+ yards....the Barnes Bullets are pretty darn hard to beat.

Don't give up on the Barnes' without giving them a good effort. memtb

Range and accuracy will dictate bullet use. But a good hit with a marginal bullet is better than a bad hit with a better bullet!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts