Gun or bow?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have shot one with a bow from a blind. Missed one a different year. I sighted in my bow the night before. Off a couple inches. "Sure I'll remember to hold off, no time to re-sight"

Of course I forgot to hold off...and I missed!

I would like to kill one with a bow but since I will be working hard public land bird here in MS that is nearly impossible. I will be packing the trusty shotgun. I might pack my 20 gauge a few times tho. It is a solid 40 yard shooter... no lie..

DoubleG

Turkey

I have killed around 40 or so with a shotgun but this is my first year with a bow, I peeled a few feathers off a tom yesterday. I am going after him again tomorrow.

Len

I have hunted turkeys with shotgun,rifle and bow and without
a doubt the hardest way to kill a turkey is with the bow.

During bow season I use the bow and a ground blind with camo
mesh over the windows, and shoot through the mesh. Before
this type of blind we used a tripod and it was very difficult because
when you drew the bow the turkey saw you and took to the air and
some times you had to shoot on the wing.

During deer season we use the rifle but head shots are the exceptable
and sporting way to take them considering 200yrd + shots are normal .
( Body shots ruin to much meat) and your buddies will give you a very
hard time.

To me the easiest way is with a shot gun. I must admit I use a 3 1/2"
12 gauge with 2 1/4 ounce #2's so range is out to 60 or 65yrds.

Note" With the bow I place a small aluminum washer behind the broad head
to increase the impact on the turkey and it puts them down fast.

Just my way of hunting turkeys
J E CUSTOM

Yes, with a bow it's a big challenge. I have a friend who shoots them without a blind. He is on his second grand slam now.

Turkey

I am trying to gig one using my bow this year without a blind I think I can get er done if I could mange to call one in that don't bring a flock of hens with him.

10 Gauge Medicine

I use a Remington SP-10 tuned and polished by Joe Morales at Rhino Gun Cases. I use a Rhino Choke and Nitro Ammo (Straigh #4 Hevi shot, 2.5 oz). I can put one down at 70 yds, but I hate to shoot past 40. That shot was a hurried one and I couldn't get my range finder out before the bird would have topped the ridge and disappeared. Topped by an EOTech 553.

My SP-10

P1010195-1.jpg

A 35 yard target I shot with my 10 as I was sighting in my daughter's Remington Youth Model 11-87 topped with a Bushnell Holosight.

P1010190.jpg

My daughters "Turkey Medicine"....

P1010165.jpg

I hunt with crossbow and shotgun. Last fall I got a deer and turkey with same arrow on same hunt about 30 min apart. 1st a flock of turkey came by I shot one got down out of tree recover turkey and arrow check blades they look good got back up tree then a nice doe came by double lung shot went about 50-60 yds :):):):):)

killed one sunday with my bow saw them running up the sendero towards me about 300 yards out so i stood behind a bush and let come to me all ready had the bow drawn when they cleared the bush at 5 yards shot the lead tom

Just a note. When hunting turkeys with a bow, I found out instantly that you do not want brightly colored fletchings. The very first time I hunted them with a bow I discovered they zero-in on color, even before the draw. Spray-painted my fluorescent yellow fletchings (seems silly in retrospect that I hunted in complete camo except for that!) and the problem was instantly removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.