Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Once I find the right powder and the right sweet spot I do not change powder.
I am a big believer in "don't fix it till it's broke".
Find the right load/bullet/COAL and just practice practice practice.
Just my .02.

this has been an awakening! i have shot my first cloverleaf ever doing this. i will now start different powder charges and different powders, but i am expecting great results now that i have found the rifles sweet spot. my specs so far, 7mm rem mag-168gr. berger vld-58 gr. h4831sc-3.350 col.

would this "sweet spot" change when changing powders? or will it always be at that length? this should carry over to all bullets right?
The cause of seating depth affects is as big of a mystery to me as anything in reloading.
The affects are huge though, I know that.

Like Greyfox, I have not seen powder influence a sweet spot in seating. That is, neither powder type, nor amount. But changing bullets definitely changes things.
Sometimes you remain near the sweet spot with a bullet change, but this is more coincidence than basis for expecting it.

It is mind boggling to me that so many reloaders assume jam, or any other setting is best, and don't even bother to find otherwise..

This might seem like a dumb question. But do you start by working your powder up first to the 2nd node then play with the seating depth. Or find the sweet spot 1st then find you best node. It seems like your pressures would be too high if you work your powder up first. Im not sure where to start.thanks

This might seem like a dumb question. But do you start by working your powder up first to the 2nd node then play with the seating depth. Or find the sweet spot 1st then find you best node. It seems like your pressures would be too high if you work your powder up first. Im not sure where to start.thanks

I am sure that there are difference approaches but, given my group size is looking promising, I will look at the effects of seating depth first, charge weight refinement next. I am usually more concerned about seating depth changes when using VLD's. For hunting loads, I don't like to seat into, or too near the lands, usually .010" or more out of the lands. I don't want a bullet sticking in the barrel when unloading, You are correct, pressure signs can show up when moving your seating depth too close or into the lands when working near max powder charges.

Same here. I find seating first(coarse adjustment) before powder(fine adjustment).
I do this because all the powder change in the world will not affect grouping like seating does.
Best to get it right up front.

IT WORK! i fund my c.o.a.l today on my 7mm wsm 180 Berger. i can cover them with a dimegun).712 outside to outside made me happy:D

Great information. I am looking forward to giving them a try and I would bet the same seating method would work well for all bullets really. Thank you for putting it up.

do you start by working your powder up first to the 2nd node then play with the seating depth. Or find the sweet spot 1st then find you best node. Im not sure where to start.thanks

I will echo what the others are saying. Those who have done this test and reported success started with a nominal (safe) load and adjusted the seating depth first.

Once you have the right seating depth you can tweak the load if you desire more velocity (does anyone want less velocity?). You may be able to squeeze even tighter precision out of your rifle with load adjustments after you find your sweet spot but moving the seating depth first is what we recommend.

Regards,
Eric

Today I shot some my first 150 VLD's with my .270 Ruger M-77, tang safety. Used H4831sc; R-22; R-19 and IMR 4831. Load data from Berger. Started at .030 off the lands for each load. I have not shot this rifle so well in 20 years. IMR 4831 and R-22 produced the best initial groups with no pressure signs. 3/8's and 1/2 inch respectively. I am at my maximum OAL due to my magazine so I can only go one direction for OAL. Is it worth the effort to increase the jump or should I concentrate on tweaking my charge?

Moosekiller99,

When you say that you "have not shot this rifle so well in 20 years" I am left with the impression that you are happy with the precision results. I'm not going to tell you not to tinker with the load but I will relay that if you are happy with the precision level of the load then increasing your success on a hunt once you've done this will come mostly from shooting your current set up in an effort to get better at range calling and more importantly, wind dopping.

You can gain far more with learning how to call the wind than you will by going from 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA (as an example). With any rifle I'd recommend to get sub 1 MOA (1/2 MOA is better) precision first (which it sounds like you have) and then stop tweaking the load and focus on accuracy (get better at dopping wind).

Regards,
Eric