Getting son into hunting Deer.

Great point with the gun and sighting system. It made me chuckle. I only have three kids brought up with guns into hunting. They all started when 8yoa hunting, and heck I have grandkids now who will be hunting in a year or two. I also teach hunters ed, so I get even more kids to show firearms to. I use many different guns including AR15's as a teaching tool and every time....every time I get to hear the ignorance of kids and parents about them in class. Luckily I get to share some facts they have no idea. Anyway, I tell them on range day they can shoot one if they want. Range day almost to a kid and heck adult all they want to do is shoot the AR's. My kids included many of them comment and dont like the smoke, smell, etc that comes from the action. Another great opportunity to give them more education. In summary get the AR15, and you can get a bolt gun if they don's like the smoke/smell. LOL
I have 2 300Blk and many other AR15's as my son has watched me build every one of them. So we have those to shoot and get some experience on.

No doubt a youth Remington .243 would suit your needs, you can load lighter bullets and chase coyote in the off season.
I'm with you on the 243. It's an extremely effective round and has no recoil. My son's, grandson and granddaughter all used 243. I have every caliber from 17HRM to 300 Norma Mag and most everything in between. The 243 has been proven on deer since it's creation..

I am a fan of the 7-08 but last year my 10 year old grandson chose to use an AR in .223. Mainly because the adjustable stock fit him. One shot kill DRT on a nice doe using 55 gr soft points. I also put a youth stock on a Remington .243. This year he started with the AR then switched to the .243. He heart shot another nice doe and also heart shot a coyote. I am proud of him.

I, too, strongly endorse the .243 and the 7/08. However, if I have MY option, I'm going to include the venerable .257Roberts or .257AI in the list. It is a wonderful round, there are wonderful rifles in the caliber, and it has a retro-cool about it, too. My daughter loves the fact that, though she has 5.56, 30-30, and other rifles, her .257 is the coolest.

I'm just curious; What is wrong with using the AR in 6.5 Grendel is an introductory weapon for deer hunting? Let me also note, that there are many many good choices in addition to that.
Nothing. Just about any cartridge available for the AR will work. My experience with .223 soft points is that the high velocity and energy combined with a fast deforming bullet really messes up the entire lung cavity. Heart and all. I am shot dozens of deer with a wide variety of cartridges including a variety of shot gun slugs. Slugs are the slowest killers usually along with other slow cartridges because precise placement is harder and they don't destroy much tissue outside the wound channel. But I have seen them DRT too. The primary thing is shot placement. If you hit the heart they will very quickly die with any centerfire. My first deer with an AR was a really big 14 pt buck about 290 lbs on the hoof. This is a exceptionally big Minnesota deer. His insides were a bloody mush. Made a believer out of me. Even big deer are pretty thin broadside.

Attachments

• 14 pt in woods..jpg
    14 pt in woods..jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I'm just curious; What is wrong with using the AR in 6.5 Grendel is an introductory weapon for deer hunting? Let me also note, that there are many many good choices in addition to that.
Well the one I have is a very heavy 24" bull barrel with a Magpul prs stock. Not really ideal for introductory. I built it mainly for a bench rest target rifle.

Nothing. Just about any cartridge available for the AR will work. My experience with .223 soft points is that the high velocity and energy combined with a fast deforming bullet really messes up the entire lung cavity. Heart and all. I am shot dozens of deer with a wide variety of cartridges including a variety of shot gun slugs. Slugs are the slowest killers usually along with other slow cartridges because precise placement is harder and they don't destroy much tissue outside the wound channel. But I have seen them DRT too. The primary thing is shot placement. If you hit the heart they will very quickly die with any centerfire. My first deer with an AR was a really big 14 pt buck about 290 lbs on the hoof. This is a exceptionally big Minnesota deer. His insides were a bloody mush. Made a believer out of me. Even big deer are pretty thin broadside.
Thanks for replying. I was just curious. BTW, congratulations on that nice buck.