Getting ready to setup to reload and need some advice

OK, as old Geezer that started many moons ago, best recommendation is be prepared to "cry once" and buy the best dies and other components. The best hunting rifle and gear is irrelevant if your loaded ammo is not on par. If no, you will look back at some point "WTH was I thinking". We ALL did something like this so learn from all of us.

It depends on where you are at with reloading. I would now that the bushing die are on the market, I would purchase them to start with. Because you might want to cut your necks for thickness to even out the neck thickness. Also want set neck tension too. If you have a regular set of die that can't be done. Bushing die do cost more, but in the long run, you are not having to buy additional sizing dies. You need a set of caliper to measure your case anyway, probably the first thing. That will help in getting the correct bushing (s) to start with. How is this done? Measure your bullet, measure the thickness of the neck on the case x 2. Add those two numbers together. Now you want to subtract .001 up to .003 to set neck tension. Let say it's .243 bullet, and the neck thickness is .018" x 2 = .036". now add the two numbers together for ending up to .279" O.D.. Now for neck tension say .002"-.279=.277 I.D. bushing needed. Now if you cut your necks that changes, and a smaller bushing is needed. I cut my necks to .013" thickness x 2 =0.269" -.002=.267 bushing I.D.
You can look at Ebay for some items, and possible save some money at the same time. it also depends on how deep your pockets are. Hopefully that help and explain why the bushing die. Buy once not 2 or 3 times.
I think I got my math right? Somebody will tell me for sure.😁
Great info, thank you!

Does it matter which brand of dies a person uses? Going to start reloading for a 270 WSM.
If your just starting out then worry about nicer advanced dies later. You can go for expensive ones but unless you get lucky you dont know yet what you need.
A good balance between price and quality is Redding dies. RCBS has a good reputation too. I like my Redding dies, but it doesnt matter what dies you use.

If your just starting out then worry about nicer advanced dies later. You can go for expensive ones but unless you get lucky you dont know yet what you need.
A good balance between price and quality is Redding dies. RCBS has a good reputation too. I like my Redding dies, but it doesnt matter what dies you use.
As long as they are bushing dies for re-sizing your case. Bullet seater can be done by standard seating dies. Not need to for the fancy one. I don't use them presently. I just mike out the length. I have other ways of measure the lenght by Ogive.

Does it matter which brand of dies a person uses? Going to start reloading for a 270 WSM.
In truth, no. Some dies are better than others in finish, some have nicer features, but baring any manufacturing flaws, they all work.
The two most important factors are your technique and consistency.
I use (at least) ten different brands of dies across all the calibers I shoot. I definitely prefer some brands more than others, but they all work.

RCBS for your general work, Redding bushing or L.E. Wilson for precision (bench rest, particularly.). Remember RCBS has the best warranty out there. They'll replace stuff for the flimsiest reasons. i told them i LOST a transformer for my Chargemaster and they replaced it. That was totally my fault, but they replaced it anyway. In 3 days! Can't beat that. Their dies are easy to set up and straightforward.

For no reason other than convivence , I started with RCBS dies 55 or 58 years ago. Just easier to get dies and shell holders, extra de capping pins , primer seater tool , Primer pocket cleaning tool and neck cleaning and prepping tools. etc. I also have an assortment of Chamfer and De Burring hand tools. The Forester Case Trimmers, 3 of them, each set for a specific caliber. Then about 15 years ago I began to purchase Forester Micrometer Bullet Seating dies for all by Calibers. I also purchased another RCBS press, This time the RCBS SUMMIT press. I seat all my Bullets with the Forester Micrometer Seating Dies , in the Summit press only . I have also purchased Hornady Neck Turning machine, and the Hornady Run Out Gauges, but hardly ever use them. The Combo Electric RCBS Scale and Powder Dispenser . Its fast and simple, but It's just Ok. When I reweigh each load a second time ,I often get a 1/10th Grn to 2/10th difference between the first weighting and the second weighing. ( 59.5 Grns of H 4831, the reweigh and get 59.3 grns. ) Pain in the arse. The next big purchase is to get a more precise version, from whomever make a really good one. Also the Hornady Lock and Load Gauge to tell you your actual max COAL with whatever bullet to want to use. That MAX COAL number will change from Bullet to Bullet . very Important tool to me. !!!

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 22
  • unnamed Forester  Micro Seating Dia Diagram.png
    unnamed Forester Micro Seating Dia Diagram.png
    36 KB · Views: 23
When I started reloading, 45 years ago, the affordable choices for dies was limited. I lwhat I thought was the best for what I could afford. I loaded everything I had with RCBS standard dies and never looked back.
You will be able to make ammunition that will shoot more accurately than you can hold.
In my experience, when your ammunition is the only thing keeping you from shooting really small groups, then I might consider buying premium dies.

I have used both Redding and RCBS. The Redding is pretty nice. The link below is a potentially good option for you. There are tons of good videos online to listen to about different methods and techniques and each to their own. Erik Cortina has some good videos/ publications and Avery Adventures has some good podcast that go step by step. Might have to listen to them a few times to catch more and more tidbits. Write down your methods and try and follow them or make single tweaks as consistency is key with trying to repeat what is working good for you.

First, if you're thinking that you're going to save money by reloading a hunting rifle caliber you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Any of the top names already mentioned will produce good ammo if your technique is good. Thorough record keeping is crucial. Organization of your work space is almost as important.

Bushing dies are added confusion. Worth it IMHO, but for someone just starting out they may not be. It isn't uncommon to buy a different die or die set in a caliber that you already own dies for.

In a very short period of time I've become a great fan of the Lee Universal De-Capping die. Even if I'm not going to tumble that brass I find that I still prefer to de-cap with it.

In truth, no. Some dies are better than others in finish, some have nicer features, but baring any manufacturing flaws, they all work.
The two most important factors are your technique and consistency.
I use (at least) ten different brands of dies across all the calibers I shoot. I definitely prefer some brands more than others, but they all work.
That's very much a part of reloading.