Gave Ricky A Headache

I shoot the 22 cal. 18 gr H&N Crow Magmun pellets. I did adjust all three points as recommended for the marauder. Found best power and accuracy to be between 2800 and 2200 psi. Nothing in my back yard is over 30 yards so pigeons , squirrels and rabbits just go to sleep instantly.

Couple nights ago had to run out to the shop to get some things for another member here. Short story to enjoy. My bird dog took off like a shot to the trees behind the house going nuts. I knew it wasn't a squirrel at that hour, so got a flashlight and what do you know Ricky was just hanging out. Ricky just looked at me and Lincoln all casual laying in a limb crook. Lincoln was going a good job keeping Ricky in the tree, so I went back in and got the Benjamin Marauder 22. I set up on the porch rail and Ricky was about 20-30 yards away and I did not need to hold crazy or adjust as its sighted in for 60yards. Put Rickys two green eyes on top of the horizontal on each side of the verticle and stoned him. Jeez talk about a cluster, Lincoln tracked him bouncing down and had him before I think he even hit the ground. I'm hollering and running through knee deep snow because I thought Ricky was still kicking. Well he was kicking he just didnt know it, and the last thing I wanted was a vet bill. You probably know what a Ricky will do to a dog if they are alive. Dumb on my part I just had HUA over chatting with Ricky. Kicked the dog (No way in hello was I sticking my hand in that mess) and blocked him from getting Ricky again. Yep Ricky was just doing the happy dance was all. One less pest....love me some Marauder and thanks to Muddyboots for pointing out I gave Ricky a Headache.
nice shooting, are racoons bigger than foxs

You sir are a brave man if you do. The Native Americans from the area I grew up will eat them. Me I will keep exploding them with bullets, no way will I eat them though lol.
Navajos were hired to cut the numbers down. Used a bow. They would set a mirror by the hole and wait until the dog popped up. Dog would see his reflection in the mirror and get all het up, allowing the Navajo to skewer him. With a arrow through the dog he couldn't fall in the hole. From "Vanishing Arizona".

Most dogs, but not my neighbors. She is a mixed bread "hound", 15# over weight and essentially a house dog. She has killed 3 racoons that ventured on their deck, not knowing the patio door was open.
I had a pitbull hound mix that used to wear coons out. We lived on the water and they were always coming down the bank into his domain. All went well until one coon escaped using the water and the dog followed. It was only 3' deep but over both their heads. The only problem was it was 2am. So I go out with the flashlight and wade in after them as the dog keeps yelping and they are going at it pretty good. I want to be careful but still save the dog so I get close enough to grab the dog by the tail. When I do I am greeted by a jolt of electricity and I yelp too. We had a perimeter electric fence to keep the dog in the yard and I had forgotten it. I never did that again. Got my son to shut it off and rescued the dog, but by this time a couple neighbors had joined the party. Good times for sure. Never met a raccoon I liked!

We grow big raccoons here in TN. They can be feisty. Never will forget climbing into a large wooden tree stand a few years back and came face to face with a coon approximately 20 feet off the ground. I surrendered my position and made a world record time descent down the tree. He held the high grown and my face was with 1 foot of where he was standing. Now I am out for revenge as this critter put a big dent in my bravado.

20 years ago, I inherited by dad's Benjamin. My office was out in a building in the back yard. The neighbors pine tree branch hung over my office and a VERY annoying male grackle took great pleasure in setting up and squawking every morning while I was trying to work. All I had for ammo was some BB's and they weren't doing the trick. I mentioned this to a friend and he told me to get some .22 pellets (who woulda thought??), Anyway, the morning arrived and I was ready. I pumped up the Benjamin and waited. Sure enough, the damned grackle started up. I eased out the door and put the sights on his chest. The pellet hit home and he took the last fall. He bounced once and my then 6 month old English Pointed grabbed him. I was rolling in the grass laughing. I finally got that SOB...

Had to laugh at that one. I have 22 pecan trees and at least 3 times as many squirrels so it's a constant battle.

One of our cats, a semi feral female figured out what I was doing one morning and started helping me hunt them. She'd sit on the ground looking up "pointing' in her own way to tell me they were there or climb the tree and push them out towards the end of a big limb so I could shoot them.

Of course, she got all the rewards.

Having been steered onto a small patch of prairie dogs, on a reservation, by a local, one of them said he'd like to have a couple to eat. Why not, so we used gloves and a plastic bag to collect a couple, then hung the bag on his trailer house door, as no one answered. Hot, like 90°, but a couple hours later when we broke camp, and drove past the home, the bag was gone. Must be good!

nice shooting, are racoons bigger than foxs
Yes they can be heavier since they are thick. Foxes are a lot leaner. This was a younger one I would guess 12-14lb. A huge one for us would be 20-25lb. Like all pests they have thick puffy fur so look heavier than they are. My experience with them is they can be real mean mother's when trying to kill barn and house cats. They will run from a dog until it corners or gets ahold of them and it sounds like a freaking lion came out of it like Alien.

Yes they can be heavier since they are thick. Foxes are a lot leaner. This was a younger one I would guess 12-14lb. A huge one for us would be 20-25lb. Like all pests they have thick puffy fur so look heavier than they are. My experience with them is they can be real mean mother's when trying to kill barn and house cats. They will run from a dog until it corners or gets ahold of them and it sounds like a freaking lion came out of it like Alien.
I've got coons so fat from parking under the deer and hog feeders they look like market pigs... . Have yet to work up to eating one though but if I were hungry enough I'd be willing to give it a go.

Around here they're bad about getting a dog to chase them into the water and when they do the coons really tear into them and have drowned more then a few dogs that way.

Had my first horsemeat in Belgium viande chevaline it was served as a delicacy in a fine dining restaurant just outside of Mons. Surprised by how good it was and really surprised when the owner told me it was sourced from the USA.
Yeah the greenies got rid of all the glue plants. What we called the horse slaughter houses. We used to ship the wild horses on BLM land over seas and again the greenies got involved. So now we spend 10's of millions feeding the dang things instead of selling them. Yes the US government is the finest operator of any business known to man. Oh, and they are destroying and re-populating faster than ever. The reservations near us off a round up and people can adopt them for free. Then they "turn them loose to be wild again" and DO NOT have a official cull program. I will say...the population seems to never ever get too many for some odd reason. I will try to find a pic of one we use Elk Hunting....call him WAR PONY. Small appy guilding about a year old, and all we had to pay was to get him cut. We don't ever put shoes on him and he is the most sure footed, strongest, and best stamina horse we have now.

Last edited:

Recent Posts