Found a Great Extreme Long Range Shooting Spot

4xforfun, i have seen that thread and the vectronix sounds astonishing.

bigngreen, i will take a look at range card, when i told my dad that there was a rock at 1840 yards he said "Are you even going to waste a shot that far?" I said "Yes i am!!" we are going out there after a nap and lunch. :D I got a question for you Rhian, when im shooting east and setting coriolis do i set my azimuth at 90*? when i do it takes .8 MOA off my adjustment but i thought since my target is dropping away from me it would add MOA.

Riley

P.S. saw 5 freakin coyotes today, 1 at about 1100 yards but of course we didnt have the 338 Lapua with us :rolleyes:. Next one that shows himself is going to taste some copper!

when im shooting east and setting coriolis do i set my azimuth at 90*? when i do it takes .8 MOA off my adjustment but i thought since my target is dropping away from me it would add MOA.

Riley

Since the target is dropping away, we need to dial less. Without correction for CE, we will hit high shooting east and low shooting west. 90° for shootin due east, 180 for south, 270° for due west, ect. At least that's how Exbal works.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks SBruce, just got back and to tell you the truth it wasnt all that boring. :D

Started out on a 1/4 minute clump of scoria at 743 yards, sent one, 1/2 MOA left 1/2 low, adjust, send another, wind died right as i shot so 1/4 MOA left right on for elevation.

Next a 3/4 minute boulder at 900 yards, dial for 7 o clock wind at 4 mph, 1/2 MOA low, 1/4 MOA left, correct, next shot 1/4 MOA low, right on for wind, adjust, send another, rock explodes.

a 1 MOA rock at 1095, first shot 1/2 MOA high, 3/4 minute left, correct, next one hit the top right corner of the rock, adjust another 3/4 MOA lower and 1/4 MOA right, sent another, center hit.

Then, the moment weve all been waiting for, 1840 yards on a 1 3/4 MOA rock, first shot 1 1/2 MOA high and 1 MOA right, adjust, send another, wait 3.6 seconds, 1/4 MOA high of center, 2 MOA right WTH? whoops.... dialed wrong way, next shot, 1/4 MOA high, 1/2 MOA left, adjust and realize im out of ammo :(.

Was very fun and my Dad was very surprised i got even close to hitting the rock :cool:.

Riley

"dialed the wrong way" cracks me up!!! And you ain't even being near OLD yet.:D

Whatcha shooting @ 3.6 seconds?? A 45-70??:D Mine'll do it in 2.48 secs. :D:D Just ribbin' ya.:rolleyes:

I went to a mile for the first time this morning. Shot 5 shots but got only one recorded on the video. (working bugs out of the recording system:rolleyes:)

Was happy to see the impact in the spotting scope field of view. Forgot/neglected or otherwise didn't reset the elevation turret after the last 300 yard zero check.

Plus I lost my truck keys (but found 'em on the road) and a young lady climbed up the hill to tell me I left my passenger side truck door open. She and hubby had a ton of hounds looking for a big cat. When she came up the hill she didn't use the road, simply came straight up the hill. I wish I could do that, again. :)

Just lettin' ya know you have a lot to look forward too.:D

Keep on shootin' you have one heck of a start! Ya lil' punk :D

"dialed the wrong way" cracks me up!!! And you ain't even being near OLD yet.:D

Whatcha shooting @ 3.6 seconds?? A 45-70??:D Mine'll do it in 2.48 secs. :D:D Just ribbin' ya.:rolleyes:

I went to a mile for the first time this morning. Shot 5 shots but got only one recorded on the video. (working bugs out of the recording system:rolleyes:)

Was happy to see the impact in the spotting scope field of view. Forgot/neglected or otherwise didn't reset the elevation turret after the last 300 yard zero check.

Plus I lost my truck keys (but found 'em on the road) and a young lady climbed up the hill to tell me I left my passenger side truck door open. She and hubby had a ton of hounds looking for a big cat. When she came up the hill she didn't use the road, simply came straight up the hill. I wish I could do that, again. :)

Just lettin' ya know you have a lot to look forward too.:D

Keep on shootin' you have one heck of a start! Ya lil' punk :D
i wasnt even paying attention when i was dialing, shooting 280 grains of copper at 2635 fps gun). I saw your video, great job. ive dropped and lost more than my fair share of allen wrenches when sighting and adjusting my bow. :rolleyes:

i dont think ill stop shooting anytime soon, i got a new rifle for an early christmas present, going to get it rebarreled to a 284 win and put some vortex glass on top and that will be my 1500 yard and in practice rifle, im glad cause that 338 Lapua gives me a headache after 5-10 shots.
My 5' 110 lb body cant absorb all that recoil!

My little ( 4' 6" 60 lb) brother dislocated his shoulder from shooting the 338 LM the last time we were out! lol.

Riley

Get a better brake!

I'd consider a Muscle or PainKiller. My 338 RUM with 300s @ 2735 and my tall skinny grandson are good for tons of shots. It's right at 10 pounds.

I suppose you did that to your brother on purpose. :D

Get a better brake!

I'd consider a Muscle or PainKiller. My 338 RUM with 300s @ 2735 and my tall skinny grandson are good for tons of shots. It's right at 10 pounds.

I suppose you did that to your brother on purpose. :D
ssshhh, thats between you, me and all the other 58,000 members on this forum. lightbulb

If we get a different brake on this barrel, can we get it put on a different barrel once we shoot this barrel out?

Riley,

It's way fun isn't it, I was really surprised just how good a guy can shoot at those ranges, also amazed how bad things can go it you get neck tension going haywire.
What BC did you use?

i used .667 but my chrono gave me like 2570 fps or something like that so i adjusted my MV to 2635 fps, what confuses me is i was low to about 900 yards then past that it started shooting way high, any ideas why that might be happening? bigngreen, i think i figured out what i could use a 270 wsm for..... a heavyweight, LR, truck gun, coyote rig. :D Should be able to reach out and poke one of them rascals. gun)

at 800 yards i can get back on target to see my hits and at 1840 it felt like i could go eat lunch and come back to see the hit.

Riley

You know you don't have something right when your elevation is like a teeter totter, you are good to a 1000 yards or your good after but can't get both. The best way I've found to get on is to shoot a bullet Broz is shooting :D You likely need to switch to a G7 BC to start.

A 270 WSM loaded with a 110 TTSX will trash a coyote, I've shot a few with them and never had one twitch after the shot out to just over 400 yards. Even one shot through the hips went down like I shot her through the shoulders, not a fur friendly load though cause you have fur holding the ends together some times. It's fast and flat with very mild recoil!!

not worried about the fur at all, it would be cool to see what it does to a porcupine! If i go to G7 im even farther off at 1840.:rolleyes:

Well, I'd say soemthing is wrong somewhere in your ballistic predictions if you're having teeter totter type ballistics (low to 900 and high past that) it could be a number of things, BC, MV, scope tracking issues, rifle cant etc. I'd use Litz's G7 BC for your 285 Barnes and then do trajectory validation at the edge of your super sonic range. Past your super sonic range I'm not surprised you have some error. Bullets tend to do odd things from each rifle in certain conditions through the transonic range that require more fine tuning. But, if you're having success with what you're using now up to your max comfortable range, there is nothing wrong with the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

, what confuses me is i was low to about 900 yards then past that it started shooting way high, any ideas why that might be happening?

What did you use to get the distances past 900? Did you use the same device for all distances?

Sorry if this was disclosed earlier in the thread, I missed it.

Jeff

What did you use to get the distances past 900? Did you use the same device for all distances?

Sorry if this was disclosed earlier in the thread, I missed it.

Jeff
I used google earth to get me from the 1840 yard target to the road (which was 1895 from the road) and i used the rangefinder to get me x amount of distance from the road, giving me 1840 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.