Food outside freeze dried junk

I need to try some pemmican, I've wanted to try making my own for ever.

One thing I took on my recent backpack hunt was tuna packets and a tortilla wrap to put it in, made a nice snack/ lunch. I even warmed one up on the fire a bit that was nice.
I haven't tried making it, I think I'm just not that interested in doing so. The bars from Franky's free range meats are cheap enough for me to not worry about it. I think I got 10 for under $30. Honestly, without drizzling honey on it, it tasted the way dog food smells.

I started eating a full animal-based diet (meat, fruit, eggs) at the beginning of the year so I was trying to find stuff that would help me stay on track, since I've felt amazing on it. That's the only reason I got the pemican.

I

If you know someone with a freez drier you can make up just about anything you want.
I make anything from tuna casserole to fajitas. I use the meals when traveling for work while there are a few things that don't work most things work very well.
A farm and family type store near me called Tractor Supply sells Harvest RIght freeze driers. A really worthwhile investment. Lot's of foods can be processed this way, one pot meals especially, and can be reactivated using a thermos full of hot water. Fun to experiment with. Also invest in a good Vacuum Sealer for freeze dried foods with a LONG shelf life.

A farm and family type store near me called Tractor Supply sells Harvest RIght freeze driers. A really worthwhile investment. Lot's of foods can be processed this way, one pot meals especially, and can be reactivated using a thermos full of hot water. Fun to experiment with. Also invest in a good Vacuum Sealer for freeze dried foods with a LONG shelf life.
I bought a Harvest Right last May - I figured I'd need to make/eat around 500 meals to justify the investment - I do think the meals I've made have been far better and healthier than the Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry that I used to buy.

Recently took a (free) hands-on course in pressure canning of wild game. Pressure is required to get temperatures high enough for canning meat, so it can't be done in a regular canning pot. We did pheasant and venison, and a later class (also free) in prepping and eating the canned meat in various dishes.
It is supposed to last a very long time, and saves freezer space when you have a large game animal or two. We did it in standard canning jars.
The meat is very tender and the juices can be used for broth. On the trail, just add dried rice noodles and spices for Asian pho soup. Obviously you wouldn't want to let the jar freeze.
Pressure canners go for a little over $100. Make sure it will handle the altitude you are canning at (different weights for different altitudes), and that it is compatible with your cooktop.

I did the pemmican on a 11 day solo hunt due to my diet restrictions. Works, gets supper old supper fast. I am on the carnivore diet, but my problems are with additives/preservatives/sugars. Carnivore is just the easiest solution.

We honestly bought a Freeze Dryer for our family. I know I know, super pricey, but I swear it has already paid for itself in the last 4 months in just doing up left overs for the next season.

Our family used to spend about 1-2k on freeze dried meals a year for backpacking. So just in that in about 3 years it would have paid for itself.

Not to mention getting your coworkers hooked on freeze dried candy, then start charging them helps too lol.

Its just a thought if you can wing it.

They nothing beat the pemmican for cals per lbs!!