Fluting

Either way I would trust my most expensive long range rigs to twisted and would expect no difference in accuracy. Maybe a different node would appear or poi change but group size would not.

OK guys, I give up!!!
Why does the barrel has to be timed for proper flute location ???
I've done many of my own barrels( I have fixtures ) .
Manly because of weight, cooling, and they look cool!!
I'm I missing something??
In our shop, we time them because it looks like an afterthought if the fluted portion is aligned next to the flat rails of the stock (barrel free float added to removed barrel material...unsightly to some).
(As mulie said above)
We also time them so the maker and caliber engraving is in a consistent location, above the rail flat.
3rd reason is same as unfluted: for alignment so muzzle portion is indexed either straight up or straight down, as close as a flute will allow.
Just doing it the best way, for performance and looks. Quality work is reflected in the details.
(That said, there is more work involved in the extra steps vs random/no timing, and we charge for the extra. Customers that understand the variables and still want fluting, are happy to pay to have it done right)

I had a gunsmith tell me that fluting a barrel the way he does it will make it more accurate. It's got to be done a certain way though... Square flutes... That way the barrel is similar to an I-beam and it makes it stiffer. He's proven it makes it more accurate.

🙄

Not taking anything to that guy!

I had a gunsmith tell me that fluting a barrel the way he does it will make it more accurate. It's got to be done a certain way though... Square flutes... That way the barrel is similar to an I-beam and it makes it stiffer. He's proven it makes it more accurate.

🙄

Not taking anything to that guy!
I'll bet he is running on bare minimum equipment and thinks he is on another level.
Equipment is not everything but we saw the result of fluting with a Router, lol.

Well since this is about fluting I figured that my experience may shed some light on the subject doesn't mean I have to be a gunsmith. If you were spending more time reading and comprehending you would realize even the top smiths disagree about things. So that means real life experience means something. Second my point is still valid if it didn't change the accuracy of a thin barrel why would it on your special barrel?
I think it's fruitless to continue this topic. There's insufficient information re group sizes, aggregates before and after having your fluting done. My experience is based on numerous barrels that have been fluted to get a competition rifle into a lighter class. One of the best barrels I had used to be reliable to shoot 1/4" MOA groups at 200 yards at night shoots. After fluting 4 shots would measure the same but there was always one shot out doubling the size of the group. Unfortunately the one out could be 3rd, 4th or 5th shot. so impossible to allow for.
When on range duty I used to see quite a few shooters having a lot of trouble tuning competition group shooting rifles with fluted barrels. There are 4 very talented gunsmiths in my area, one a personal friend who does fluting , claims perfect indexing and slow to avoid too much heat.
Fluting is not for me due to personal experience ,but if you are happy with your result then that's all that matters

I think it's fruitless to continue this topic.
Ya', once you start talking about cutting flutes in a steel barrel with a router you're in the world of fantasy. Back to reality, I see no verifiable and documented evidence supporting accuracy claims either way. The machine set-up, tooling and supports (to minimize deflection) are under control of human hands, meaning "not 100% repeatable". On a hunting rifle, its one thing,, on a true BR rifle used in competition it's another. A hunting rifle and BR rifle are 2 different things, entirely.

That's fine but your experience is absolutely no more or less valid than mine or anyone else here who had good experience.
Since we have no way of measuring the outcome we must lean on personal experience and results to form a view.
So instead of being a crotch and telling me my view is invalid when multiple others have the same results maybe take your own advice and don't add to the "worthless comments".
Keep in mind this could go for about any topic on the forum. So please refrain from asking or giving your views about topics I. The future.
Thanks.

Let's keep in mind shortgrass is correct.
As soon as someone says they have the only way, makes it's this or that, or brings out the router then yes I would not continue.
That being said you also have a pile of people claiming they have had good luck and people on here actually doing fluting.
So Bruce keep in mind while trying to insult me you also insult some very valuable people with great knowledge such as Rich and others who have always been very helpful and hold a lot of knowledge. So keep in mind you are able to add value even if you don't agree but please to it in good taste.

Ya', once you start talking about cutting flutes in a steel barrel with a router you're in the world of fantasy. Back to reality, I see no verifiable and documented evidence supporting accuracy claims either way. The machine set-up, tooling and supports (to minimize deflection) are under control of human hands, meaning "not 100% repeatable". On a hunting rifle, its one thing,, on a true BR rifle used in competition it's another. A hunting rifle and BR rifle are 2 different things, entirely.
Of course you realise the Router thing was all in fun🤭

Recent Posts