Fluting decision

tbrice23

I have a 26" heavy varmint barrel. It brings the rifle up to +12.5 lb and it feels unbalanced . Id like to reduce the weight 3/4 to one pound. The barrel is very accurate as is, my concern is that fluting will induce enough stress to change the level of accuracy that I know its capable of.
Can anyone refute or confirm my concerns. Or any experiences as such? I know it will most likely change my load somewhat, so I expect that.

Also how much weight could I shed by five 1/4" wide flutes on a 26" barrel?
Thanks.

You have a 50/50 chance, depends on the heat treating if the barrel will open up, I personally won't flute a button barrel after final lapping, I have quality cut rifle barrels done all the time but I've seen button barels really open up under the flutes. If you do it stop the fluted a few inches short of the muzzle to hopefully maintain accuracy.

Its a beefy barrel .806 at 26".
Is this the reason guys spiral flute in the direction of the twist ?

If you flute straight your going across the rifling direction the whole way, I think it's more to do with it being the normal twist and even going with the twist your not twisting the flute nearly as fast as the rifling.
I see it often on button barrels where the bore opens up under the flutes or even opens up in a pattern that follows the contour.

Yeah that's pretty scary.
Re-contouring might be a better option but I might leave well enough alone.

Yeah that's pretty scary.
Re-contouring might be a better option but I might leave well enough alone.

This would be my recommendation rather than fluting and taking a chance on screwing it up.

The good thing about re contouring your barrel is that it gives you a chance to really true it up to the bore. When I re contour I only take .015 to .020 thousandths per cut. I realize it takes more time, but it assures me of zero tool spring.

Lots of times it actually improves the accuracy because of the precision shape of the barrel to the bore. If I can get it posted, I can show you an example of how badly some barrels are contoured in a video I made while I re contoured a heavy barrel.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Would cyro treatment after fluting help?

In My opinion, Cyro doesn't offer much for the money and adds another chance that something could change.

Re contouring could change the harmonics If the barrel is badly out of round or not centered, but at least it wouldn't alter the metallurgy.

Nothing is for sure, so I would go with the least likely scenario.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.