First 7mmSTW

sealgair

Hello!

Very excited to be receiving my first ever true magnum soon - a factory Sako 75 in this round. It's still with the original 26" barrel and has a muzzle break with it, round count of approximately 200. Happily I've also managed to get a set of Redding dies and some brass thrown in.

I think I'll use it for the heavier 160+ grain bullets, Hornady ELDM or Bergers I would guess. Keen to hear anyone's load recommendations - especially with VhitV powders (we can't get Hogdon any more in the UK).

thanks,

Sam

Sounds good.

Check your barrel twist. Hopefully it's 1-9. Depending on your application and hunting preference I would start with the 180 Berger Hybrid. Vhitavouri n565 or n570 should work. 160 Accubond or 168 VLD would also get my vote. If you're hunting I would stay away from the ELD-M. I've heard a few bad stories although I admit I've never used them first hand. Target, no problem.

If your twist is slower like 1-10 140 Berger or accubond will do the job just fine.

I have my first too, I plan on trying the Nosler 160gr Accubond, 168gr ABLR & 175gr ABLR first. Then move to the 180gr Berger Hybrid Hunter.
Powder I would try is N570/565/560.
Looks to me that RETUMBO will be my go to powder in Down Under...it is plentiful.

Cheers.

I have the same rifle and have been pleased with 160 accubonds using IMR 7828 and RL 26. It's a deer hammer and has taken a couple of elk.

I think 160 Accubonds are going to be the poison. I'll probably use N165 or similar I think just because that's easy to get over here.

Thank guys!

I killed a truck load of whitetails with a custom rig in 7STW using the 162gr A-Max bullet. It would be hard to believe that a better combo could have been found at the time.

So finally got it today and put a scope on it... load development with 162g A-Max and N170 starts tomorrow.

61669400-798E-4072-94B1-37B3A97D6BE5.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts