Finally, 2021 Wyoming Unit 26 Moose Hunt Tag!

Well, a little late, but congrats on a great bull moose. Pretty new member here. I am both inspired and encouraged by your story. I am 62 and finally drew my WY moose tag this year. Also in unit 26. Did my first drive through a week ago and it looks like beautiful country and pretty "moosey"👍
I'm looking forward to some scouting and of course, the hunt. Wondering if you might share a bit of info. on a good area to start my scouting. Thanks

It's not nearly as good as it was 30 years ago…..but still a great area and physically a pretty easy area to hunt!

Good Luck and Congratulations on the tag! memtb

Congrats on your tag! Feel free to message me with any questions and I'll help if I can. If you put in the work, you will be rewarded with many great memories...
Thanks for the invite to message you. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but don't see a way. Maybe I don't have those privileges. Hopefully I can figure it out. Would love to get ahold of you.

Hey Cody. I drew the WY moose unit 26 tag. I've never been in the area and plan to hunt on my own. Any help you can give with the area and moose there is greatly appreciated.

Hey Cody. I drew the WY moose unit 26 tag. I've never been in the area and plan to hunt on my own. Any help you can give with the area and moose there is greatly appreciated.

When I moved to Kemmerer in '85……the Hams Fork drainage was crawling with moose as was the Fontenelle drainage side. One morning while elk hunting, I counted 11 moose while never moving from one place, on the Fontenelle side of Commissary Ridge about 15 miles north of Kemmerer. As it was mixed timber/openings……I wonder how many were actually there!

During the winter, several moose were camping out all over town.

Sadly the moose numbers are way down from that time, plus I haven't hunted there in years……but, I can make some suggestions.

There's a lot more private land and less access than when I was there, but I take a look at the Hams Fork drainage from East Fork, West Fork drainages north beyond the Hams Fork Campground. Don't neglect both of those drainages.

After that, the Fontenelle side of Commissary Ridge toward LaBarge Creek. But, there's a lot of private land up there now as compared to when I was there.

Beyond that, try the Dempsey Basin area, north and west of Kemmerer, where I killed my last moose …..a dink! There's also some potentially good areas near Cokeville!

I wish that it was the way it used to be, but I'll wish you a sincere Good Luck! memtb

Lastly FigBo……welcome from North Central Wyoming!

When I moved to Kemmerer in '85……the Hams Fork drainage was crawling with moose as was the Fontenelle drainage side. One morning while elk hunting, I counted 11 moose while never moving from one place, on the Fontenelle side of Commissary Ridge about 15 miles north of Kemmerer. As it was mixed timber/openings……I wonder how many were actually there!

During the winter, several moose were camping out all over town.

Sadly the moose numbers are way down from that time, plus I haven't hunted there in years……but, I can make some suggestions.

There's a lot more private land and less access than when I was there, but I take a look at the Hams Fork drainage from East Fork, West Fork drainages north beyond the Hams Fork Campground. Don't neglect both of those drainages.

After that, the Fontenelle side of Commissary Ridge toward LaBarge Creek. But, there's a lot of private land up there now as compared to when I was there.

Beyond that, try the Dempsey Basin area, north and west of Kemmerer, where I killed my last moose …..a dink! There's also some potentially good areas near Cokeville!

I wish that it was the way it used to be, but I'll wish you a sincere Good Luck! memtb

Lastly FigBo……welcome from North Central Wyoming!
Thanks memtb. Looking forward to the hunt and another moose in my freezer.