Favorite Hunting clothing brand advice!!!

Just picked up a stone glacier Grumman. Very lightweight and very warm consideringweight and psckability.

I was looking for a super lightweight puffy for September through October backpack hunts. I have a first lite Chamberlin for late season base camp stuff.

I looked at montbell, arc'teryx, kuiu, sitka, rab, and stone glacier. For the price and weight, SG won.

I am with you on made in USA UA26fitter. I just went and looked at the Sitka gear at sportsmans. You're paying made in USA prices for chinese goods. Made me kind of sick. No doubt its good gear and learning that FL along with others are all made overseas is kind of depressing,..... I am going to continue my search. A few others have suggested some made in usa brands I'll look at as well.

FORLOH is winning me over. Made in USA, priced better than Sitka and their deep cover cammies are good looking. Might make a trip up to their store soon
WURU is Melino Made in USA base layers, great pricing too
Go wild camo is good looking too. Just ordered a hoodie to try out. (I am a sucker for hoodies,...) Made in USA

Last edited:
I am with you on made in USA UA26fitter. I just went and looked at the Sitka gear at sportsmans. You're paying made in USA prices for chinese goods. Made me kind of sick. No doubt its good gear and learning that FL along with others are all made overseas is kind of depressing,..... I am going to continue my search. A few others have suggested some made in usa brands I'll look at as well.

FORLOH is winning me over. Made in USA, priced better than Sitka and their deep cover cammies are good looking. Might make a trip up to their store soon
WURU is Melino Made in USA base layers, great pricing too
Go wild camo is good looking too. Just ordered a hoodie to try out. (I am a sucker for hoodies,...) Made in USA

I'm hoping to be able to check out the Forloh soon. The next time I'm in MT I'll try and run upto Whitefish and see if it's something I like. I know I don't really care for their camo patterns but I prefer earth tones most of the time anyway.

I'm still a big fan of quality wool and Sleeping Indian is about the best I've put my hands on. Also it's made in USA. Libby MT if I remember correctly.

Kris

Last edited:
Personally I don't think 1 brand covers all my needs and certainly some can justify the cost more than others. I have several pieces of Cabelas and Gander Mnt technical gear (old) that suit my needs fine. Boots and Base layers are still the most important to me for warmth and breathability. If I needed $10K in hunting close to kill an elk I would take up fishing.

Personally I don't think 1 brand covers all my needs and certainly some can justify the cost more than others. I have several pieces of Cabelas and Gander Mnt technical gear (old) that suit my needs fine. Boots and Base layers are still the most important to me for warmth and breathability. If I needed $10K in hunting close to kill an elk I would take up fishing.
That is facts! I am used to my wranglers and woolrich coat. Got some rivers west a few years back for waterfowl and decided to try it for big game. Boots are always the best no matter what. Can't put a price on comfort. My fishing gear is grudens rain gear over my wranglers and sweatshirt,….

I have seen A LOT of hunters bug out because of sub-standard gear. Funny what 10° and a 30mph wind does @ 9k elevation!!!!
Very true. I've been able to tough it out but as I get older my dang bones tell me otherwise. Wind is the main reason I am looking for new gear. I was up around 6500 ft last year in November and it cut right through my rivers west. Plus loosing weight doesn't help shield the cold. I am not a fan of this getting old stuff.

Very true. I've been able to tough it out but as I get older my dang bones tell me otherwise. Wind is the main reason I am looking for new gear. I was up around 6500 ft last year in November and it cut right through my rivers west. Plus loosing weight doesn't help shield the cold. I am not a fan of this getting old stuff.
I hear ya, my father used to say "gettin old ain't for sissies" The older I get the more true that statement is!!! :rolleyes:

There is a lot of truth to that. I like my wind stopper gear and it generally keeps me very warm but there is a big difference between 30mph wind at 10° and 30mph wind at 30°. Especially when you stop moving for a minute.
My Grandfather always said "the good thing about getting old is that it doesn't last long."

When i started deer hunting in 1947, the most popular hunting outfit was made by Woolrich in a small N C PA town called Woolrich.
When it rained it got heavy, but it still kept me warm.
By the time i was 40 my Woolrich outfit had shrunk so much it no longer fit me.
So i bought an Eddie Bauer goose down set of bib overall pants and a parka.
They were much nicer to wear as for weight, but not warm when wet.
I later bought a pair of Woolrich wool bibs, and on cold days still use the down parka.
Over a very good pair of military insulated long johns.
But i also found that its actually best for me is to stay in Florida all year long.
I'm with you. On the woolrich clothes. I have a cabin in Tioga county and would stop there on my way home, yes it was heavier when wet, but you stayed warm no matter what. And I tried losing weight and thought that losing over 110 lbs to bring me down to 200lbs would make a big difference in keeping me warmer. Besides being much healthier. It also made me get much colder today. Woolrich clothes was ahead of it's time for warmth but it think with the clothes on the market today have the advantage. Just because of the weight and packing issues you'd have trying to lug it around all day. But I still have mine. Just as a reminder as to how big I actually was back then…

I've got some Sitka goretex and base layers and have been really happy. Have run it for a few years elk hunting, mule deer, whitetail, and coyote hunting. Very happy with it. The insulated goretex pants I've got are probably my single favorite piece of hunting clothing.

Of course, if you're sitting for long periods here in Alberta in November to March you better layer up. I've got a set of camo wool coveralls and jacket I can throw overtop when it's really cold. For spot and stalk or still hunting it's great. My hunting buddies have Kuiu and like it too. I'd go with whichever fits you better.

I have found pieces that work well for me from the main three, Kuiu, Stika and firstlite. I do not think I have any complete setup that is all one brand. For bitter cold and all day sitting on a lock on, Kuiu super down pants and jacket under Sitka incinerator with Kuiu or First lite gloves and Kuiu super warm beanie. Have not found a duck hunting jacket to beat the Duck Oven, or a pair of bibs that rival the First Lite. Sizing is to me the real hurdle as none are consistent. I would say, don't get married to one brand, buy the layers that work for you. I have LOTS of sitka stuff I need to unload.

Being a gear whore, this thread is fun. The OP has gotten some solid advice! As if it's needed, here's my take...

I've used multiple pieces of KUIU, Sitka, FL, Kryptek as well as Smartwool and a couple of others. I don't care much about camo patterns. If I did, Kryptek Highlander would win and KUIU Vias would be second. I've found that everyday wear gravitates toward FL Sweaters and Sitka softshell vests. Sitka Timberline pants definitely have more stretch than my KUIU. A personal issue with pants I never would have thought of is that carrying a knife on a pocket clip is not very handy with zippered upper pockets. KUIU Attack and Pro pants are not zippered. KUIU's NewYarn merino isn't as comfortable as their older stuff. Smartwool medium-weight merino is the most comfortable stuff I've ever tried but I can wear a top out in a couple of backpack hunts. (The hip belt just wears through it.) Still looking for the best merino baselayer. I'll have to try some of the suggestions you've gotten here.

That all said, when it comes time to go on hunts, KUIU outer layers almost always get the nod. The pants are tough. They dry quickly. (As in overnight in the tent with no heat.) Their down is amazing. (Buy at least one size up on coats.) And, finally, KUIU's rain gear breathability is nothing short of incredible. I don't perspire when hiking; I sweat! Their stuff will move some vapor! Buy the right weight of jacket for your conditions, but it all works from the lightest stuff I carry for emergencies to the heavier stuff for brush and horseback hunts. The stuff is great.

Oh, check out Schnee's Beartooth boots. If they fit and feel good, they are light and tough enough for most hunts.

Sorry if it's TMI. Like I said, I love gear! Good luck!

Being a gear whore, this thread is fun. The OP has gotten some solid advice! As if it's needed, here's my take...

I've used multiple pieces of KUIU, Sitka, FL, Kryptek as well as Smartwool and a couple of others. I don't care much about camo patterns. If I did, Kryptek Highlander would win and KUIU Vias would be second. I've found that everyday wear gravitates toward FL Sweaters and Sitka softshell vests. Sitka Timberline pants definitely have more stretch than my KUIU. A personal issue with pants I never would have thought of is that carrying a knife on a pocket clip is not very handy with zippered upper pockets. KUIU Attack and Pro pants are not zippered. KUIU's NewYarn merino isn't as comfortable as their older stuff. Smartwool medium-weight merino is the most comfortable stuff I've ever tried but I can wear a top out in a couple of backpack hunts. (The hip belt just wears through it.) Still looking for the best merino baselayer. I'll have to try some of the suggestions you've gotten here.

That all said, when it comes time to go on hunts, KUIU outer layers almost always get the nod. The pants are tough. They dry quickly. (As in overnight in the tent with no heat.) Their down is amazing. (Buy at least one size up on coats.) And, finally, KUIU's rain gear breathability is nothing short of incredible. I don't perspire when hiking; I sweat! Their stuff will move some vapor! Buy the right weight of jacket for your conditions, but it all works from the lightest stuff I carry for emergencies to the heavier stuff for brush and horseback hunts. The stuff is great.

Oh, check out Schnee's Beartooth boots. If they fit and feel good, they are light and tough enough for most hunts.

Sorry if it's TMI. Like I said, I love gear! Good luck!
I totally agree that you need to buy one size up with KUIU outer clothing.