Drone Use in deer hunting

Handymike

A while back I posted a humerous post about flying my deer out using a packed in drone. At the time I was only kidding however over the weekend I found this on UTUBE. I don't know if this is actual or a put up job but thought you folks may be interested.

Mike

Over the weekend there was a news article about a deer recovery guy using a drone being arrested by the PA. Game Commission.

Guy was comtacted by someone trying to find the deer he shot.
Game Commission showed up while drone was in operation looking for the wounded deer.

Siezed the drone.
Charged with operating drone on Game Commision land.
Operating drone to search for big game.
Using light on drone to disturb game ( in this case a doe).
Etc, etc, etc...

What a bunch of @$$ hats!!!

Over the weekend there was a news article about a deer recovery guy using a drone being arrested by the PA. Game Commission.

Guy was comtacted by someone trying to find the deer he shot.
Game Commission showed up while drone was in operation looking for the wounded deer.

Siezed the drone.
Charged with operating drone on Game Commision land.
Operating drone to search for big game.
Using light on drone to disturb game ( in this case a doe).
Etc, etc, etc...

What a bunch of @$$ hats!!!
I would never do that but if I did I would check the reg's before hand!

Surely the deer it lifted on the video, weighed more than 100 pounds!
Tennessee deer eat pretty good so I expect yours would but some places they don't eat as well.Texas white tail deer are closer to 60-80 pounds gutted.
My brother shot the largest whitetail deer in a herd in Texas north of Houston and netted only 31 pounds of meat!No bones just meat.

Just a quick search showed very few drones capable of such a lift. The biggest one I found was rated for 110 pounds but they are made for farm use and cost ~$85k.

Personally, I applaud the PA authorities for putting a stop to drone use.
Just like so many other things, you give an inch- they'll take a mile.
Not hard to imagine people using the "I'm searching for a wounded deer" story when they are actually using it for hunting.

People have been hauling dead deer out of the woods on their backs for thousands of years, there is zero reason to change that now.

Surely the deer it lifted on the video, weighed more than 100 pounds!

It's hard to say but a field dressed deer around here would (generally) not exceed 100lbs. Most of the deer I've taken in NC had fairly light body weight, even the 8 and 10 pointers.

But .... there are certainly places in the US where you can take a 200lb+ whitetail.

I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, if you shoot and lose a deer.... you keep shooting deer until you tag out. Which means more deer die. So, if they recover a poorly shot deer, more deer live.
On the hand, others will abuse this technology for scouting and driving deer off some else's property. There also the invasion of privacy issue issue.

Tennessee deer eat pretty good so I expect yours would but some places they don't eat as well.Texas white tail deer are closer to 60-80 pounds gutted.
My brother shot the largest whitetail deer in a herd in Texas north of Houston and netted only 31 pounds of meat!No bones just meat.
They're twice as big as that in the Texas Panhandle. We also have some mule deer and we take one here and there if size and antlers are respectable. Once we had a big 3x3 muley that would bed behind camp. We'd drive by him (about 10yds from us) and he'd look at us and we'd just wave and go out to hunt elsewhere. We never saw him chasing doe during the rut. The first time he started bedding by camp he was about 4.5yrs old. Anyway, we watched him for 4-5 years then he didn't return. One of the guys caught him near the end of the season when it was brutally cold and windy. He was out in a wheatfield chasing the ladies. He was fat as a hog and looked like a 55 gallon barrel on stilts. He still had the 3x3 rack that was thick as a baseball bat. The buddy shot him with his .300 Weatherby (MK5). Had to use my atv winch, anchored in the bed of my truck, to get him loaded. Had him weighed whole and he was a tad over 320lbs. Biggest deer I've ever seen.

They're twice as big as that in the Texas Panhandle. We also have some mule deer and we take one here and there if size and antlers are respectable. Once we had a big 3x3 muley that would bed behind camp. We'd drive by him (about 10yds from us) and he'd look at us and we'd just wave and go out to hunt elsewhere. We never saw him chasing doe during the rut. The first time he started bedding by camp he was about 4.5yrs old. Anyway, we watched him for 4-5 years then he didn't return. One of the guys caught him near the end of the season when it was brutally cold and windy. He was out in a wheatfield chasing the ladies. He was fat as a hog and looked like a 55 gallon barrel on stilts. He still had the 3x3 rack that was thick as a baseball bat. The buddy shot him with his .300 Weatherby (MK5). Had to use my atv winch, anchored in the bed of my truck, to get him loaded. Had him weighed whole and he was a tad over 320lbs. Biggest deer I've ever seen.
The biggest one to come off my property was taken by my wife. It weighed 204 pounds.
IMG_0456.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg