Dog vest ideas?

Ugly Dog

My Pudelpointer is a heavier coated dog, she gets hot when she hunts but I like to run her in a vest due to the cockleburs and other sticky hitch hikers. Because she has a heavy coat I use one of the cheap Remington branded vest as you can see in my signature but they don't hold up well. Any ideas of a vest that is light but durable?

Thanks in advance

My Pudelpointer is a heavier coated dog, she gets hot when she hunts but I like to run her in a vest due to the cockleburs and other sticky hitch hikers. Because she has a heavy coat I use one of the cheap Remington branded vest as you can see in my signature but they don't hold up well. Any ideas of a vest that is light but durable?

Thanks in advance
I forgot to mention I would really like it to be orange or something high viz.

I also have a Pudelpointer, but she is a more smooth coated one. I'm pretty satisfied with the Sylmar vest from gun dog supply. Link below with some videos so you check it out. Kind of fighting 2 variables, if you want good protection material needs to be thick, and therefore will be warmer. I don't have any other vests to compare it with….but again have been happy with it and it's held up well.

I also have a Pudelpointer, but she is a more smooth coated one. I'm pretty satisfied with the Sylmar vest from gun dog supply. Link below with some videos so you check it out. Kind of fighting 2 variables, if you want good protection material needs to be thick, and therefore will be warmer. I don't have any other vests to compare it with….but again have been happy with it and it's held up well.

My Drahthaar was lighter coated and heavy vest was ok but this PP has a good base coat and a long outer coat. I used a vest that my DD had and she was soaked from sweating on a 35 degree day. So something somewhat light would be great. For her the colder the better and you can tell when she is hunting she loves the snow..

I really like the looks of that and the weight looks and sounds great from the description!!

I think il measure my dog tonight and get one ordered.

Thank you

My possibly unpopular option;
A dog with a good coat does not need a vest upland hunting. Unless they're busting through ice, then sitting still duck hunting, it'll make them hot. Worst case, over heating, best case, they start panting and not breathing through their nose as much. I haven't seen one that didn't leave hot spots on the dog either. Yeah, burs can be a pain, but they're better than an over heated dog! High vis is nice too, but if that's a real concern, I'd have to reevaluate who I'm hunting with.

I have a Hurtta Dog vest that I use for my Brittany when it's really cold here in Montana. I use it more when out feeding horses when it's sub zero or in a wet snow for a short hunt around the property. Great quality though.

My Drahthaar was lighter coated and heavy vest was ok but this PP has a good base coat and a long outer coat. I used a vest that my DD had and she was soaked from sweating on a 35 degree day. So something somewhat light would be great. For her the colder the better and you can tell when she is hunting she loves the snow..
Dogs don't sweat. That was probably condensation trapped by the vest between your over heating dog and the cool air. Ditch the vest

Nice vest!

My response will probably be unpopular as well....

I would be very reluctant to have a working dog wear a vest. Unless it is a cooling vest for use during a rest period.

There are countless instances where a dog overheated and died. I recall opening day of pheasant season in South Dakota about 20 years ago. Opening day temps were in the 80s. Somewhere around 100 dogs died from heat stroke that day. I doubt protective vests had much to do with the fatalities that day.

It seems to me a dog vest is a solution looking for a problem in most cases. I started bird hunting in Central Florida with my grandfather in early 60s. His Short Hairs and Brittanys worked their butts off in brambles and thickets. I do not recall any serious injuries other than a thorn needing to be removed. About every 20-30 minutes we'd find some shade and rest the dogs (and us).

I've been ducking hunting with labs for the past 52 years and have never seen the need for any of my dogs to wear a vest; even amongst the cattails or 10'F temps.

Yes, a cooling vest is good to have on hand if you are working your dog on a mild to warm day.

Check out vest studies conducted by University of Florida, Auburn and NC State Vet Schools. No doubt other vet schools across the country have conducted similar studies as well. I have not read a peer reviewed study that whole heartedly recommends working dogs wear a vest.

Keeping your dog's coat clean, brushed and tangle free is the best way to avoid problems.

I do not put a vest on in the warmer weather say anything above the mid 30s. I too have seen guys overheat a dog to the point of collapse when working them in the summer. Another reason I liked a vest that I didn't elaborate on earlier is the help with visibility. A high viz vest is very helpfull here in Iowa as we hunt some pretty thick and tall crp and shelter belts. I do have a beeper collar but the visual aid is nice especially when I'm hunting with other people and some of those are young hunters.
you are correct on the condensation they don't sweat through their coat. This is one of the reasons I like the open back vest. I'm really just looking more for a chest protector. Like the one mentioned or in my signature photo. I did not like the zip up neoprene vest I tried on my DD years ago for the above mentioned reasons. I also do not put vest on water dogs I witnessed an unfortunate mishap when I was younger of a guys dog getting hung up in a beaver dam and almost drowning.

All good things to consider and I really appreciate the suggestions and input. This is a great place to learn. Keep 'em coming.

Ugly Dog, have you thought about having a custom vest made? Years ago I had a Lab that needed a chest protector with all of the sage brush here in Wyoming so I went to a tent maker and he made one out of a light weight cordura. I'd bet that an upholsterer could do the same.
Your dog isn't ugly, just hansom. IMHO.

Agree with Munch that vests often do more harm than good and that good grooming practices go a long way in dealing with hitchhikers. That said, I do run Filson chest protectors on my springers to prevent cuts and abrasions. Built like a tank and aside from being dirty, they look brand new after 20+ seasons.

DAB8F464-46A9-4A58-BA79-2B995CA6A15A.jpeg

I have a Hurtta Dog vest that I use for my Brittany when it's really cold here in Montana. I use it more when out feeding horses when it's sub zero or in a wet snow for a short hunt around the property. Great quality though.

Attachments

• 27A98AA6-F73C-45F7-8AF6-43A8EF83719F.jpeg
    27A98AA6-F73C-45F7-8AF6-43A8EF83719F.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 68