dog book help

parker300

I just got my first gsp. After having labs for 20 years I am realizing that I have dropped into the deep end of the pool and am needing some help. Most of the books I have found are more geared towards making a pointer a house pet not a bird dog. Any suggestions on a good book on how to train a working pointer.

Secon on Rick and Rinnie Smith. Also, check Lion Country Supply, lots of great resources. Most of all find a local trainer, in the summer a lot of guys run camps. The Pointing Dog Journal also has great information online you may search by location.

Best book? For a first time trainer?.. Larry Mueller speed train your bird dog.
Do not. Do not use wolters book.
Another resource is navhda. North american versatile hunting dog association. They put out a goodbook as well.

Best book? For a first time trainer?.. Larry Mueller speed train your bird dog.
Do not. Do not use wolters book.
Another resource is navhda. North american versatile hunting dog association. They put out a goodbook as well.

I second jaeger19's tip on Larry Mueller's book. I used it and it has a lot of good advise and unique training methods. Teach them what NO means early and it will help immensely.

Training starts the day you bring a dog home. Start with "quit" as no sounds like whoa. If it's a house dog, you have up, down, outside, kennel, load up or any other behavior commands. Dog needs to know the alpha from day one, that does not mean being hard on the dog but setting boundaries.

Griffon: Gun Dog Supreme by Joan Bailey.

Excellent training book from puppy-hood to early 2 year olds for all versatile pointing breeds. A great copy of the German version of versatile training methods in English.
I know of nothing better!!!!!

I am now on my 3rd Deutsch Drahthaar.

Most public library carries this book which surprises the hell out of me since most librarian are quite liberal.

I am waiting for my Griff pup early next month. I had multiple people tell me to read Chuck Johnson's Training the Versatile Hunting Dog. Seems like nothing else I have ever seen. It makes a lot of sense, but I haven't been able to use it on the pup yet. I will keep you advised.

I am waiting for my Griff pup early next month. I had multiple people tell me to read Chuck Johnson's Training the Versatile Hunting Dog. Seems like nothing else I have ever seen. It makes a lot of sense, but I haven't been able to use it on the pup yet. I will keep you advised.

Word to the wise. Griffs often don't respond to traditional training techniques. Particularly when they are pups. Start early but start slow with lots of fun and birds. Birds birds.
My Griff just finished his natural ability and is training toward his utility. They can be absolutely superb hunters if trained correctly

I just got my first gsp. After having labs for 20 years I am realizing that I have dropped into the deep end of the pool and am needing some help. Most of the books I have found are more geared towards making a pointer a house pet not a bird dog. Any suggestions on a good book on how to train a working pointer.
There's a ton of good YouTube videos to help.