Different kind of Coon hunting

wasskeet

I've never been much on coon hunting here in NC. Went a couple times with friends, but between about getting my eye put out on tree limbs in the dark and not getting home before time to go to work - it just wasn't worth it to me.
I went on business trip to Iowa a week ago and found out their version of coon hunting is quite different. Calling them in during daytime, no dogs (practically no trees to chase them up), and a good day equals over 100 dead coons - very different than here in the Southeast.

I've never been much on coon hunting here in NC. Went a couple times with friends, but between about getting my eye put out on tree limbs in the dark and not getting home before time to go to work - it just wasn't worth it to me.
I went on business trip to Iowa a week ago and found out their version of coon hunting is quite different. Calling them in during daytime, no dogs (practically no trees to chase them up), and a good day equals over 100 dead coons - very different than here in the Southeast.
I've seen a video put out by Rick pallette and Jeff Nemnich where they're using their lucky duck calls and calling coons out of an old barn. I think they killed like 25 in a couple hours!!

Last edited:
I've seen videos of them calling them like coyotes. I tried it here in PA. I was unsuccessful to say the least lol