Designing the perfect bullet box

I recently saw some ammo boxes at a gun show that were about the size of a cigarette pack, in a slip-top plastic box, with two rows of shells, either 9 or 10 padded holes with padded ends. Very reasonable price ($5 ea.), so I bought 2, one blue and one red. Easily holds 30-06's.

I was cleaning out old E-mails from my old computer and this came up.
I have tried several ways to carry extra shells in the field. Seen a lot of ways other hunters carry extra ammo in field, As a wildlife officer for 34 years.

Shells on the butt of a rifle light rifle, Changes the balance of the rifle, makes harder to hold steady in bad shooting positions.
For my 338 WM and 300 WSM I have made 3 small leather pouches with snap closure. Each pouch is built to carry 4 shells snug with no rattle. Both rifles have 3 mag. and 1 in chamber capacity. I usually carry 1 in my pants pocket and the other 2 in back pack. With 4 shells loaded in rifle makes 16 rounds in the field. Keep plastic 20 round boxes in camp.
Never liked a lot of shells on my person, On several canoe moose hunts in Canada.

I was in contact and working with a girl from this company. I had sent her a dummy 4" 338 Lapua (300 Gr. EOL) round as there isn't much out there. She indicated, they were looking to produce a carrier for the large cases. She had sent me multiple samples for others cases to try and they really worked well. Then come to find out she left that company and that project never got off the ground. Anyways, these work really well.

L to R: 6.5-284, 270 Wby, 300 Win.
96A97BB7-87BC-47A4-BB69-7F025FF48B49.jpeg
7DA6D003-0EB9-4E25-9666-FB7716344599.jpeg

I like and carry the little 5 round packs. The 20 round packs are offset when the container is closed.

Last edited:
Well I am back at it again guys. Got a dual head printer and I am making these. The black material is comparable to a oring and I am able to print it into the plastic box. Each round has its own oring to keep it from sliding around. You can submerge the box in water and it will keep your ammo dry. *Maybe don't drop it in the ocean or a really deep lake. Would need more air volume to float. 😂.
The case sits on its shoulder in the box so under normal circumstances you'll never damage a tip. These boxes are .100" longer than the max OAL. If you run your loads long, they should still fit perfectly. These are caliber specific. There are only 2 things that make them less than perfect from what I can tell. The lids make a slight scratching noise when removing them. I figured if I am reaching for more ammo, its not going to be a problem. The other is if you leave them on the dash of your car on a 100deg day the plastic tends to droop a little. (There was no ammo in the box on that test). lol.
0A631B94-667B-4F29-8017-ED933BAF586F.jpeg

That came out real nice. I carry what my rifle can hold and then 5 on hip in a leather cover single stack.Thats on pack web.But im such a gear nut I could see having a few of those as I have 3 main hunting rigs

Hey guys, I recently got a 3D printer and have been doing some design and development for different things. As a avid hunter and reloader, I have searched for the perfect bullet box for hunting and haven't found anything to get excited about.
I would like your opinions and ideas on this.
Here is a list of things I would like to incorporate into this bullet box:
Quiet! I hate my bullets rattling around in the stock box in my pack. No more sticking small sticks between each bullet. 😂

I don't like the bullets resting and impacting the tip of the bullet! I think it should rest on the case taper. Yeah we crimp the case but why should chance it if it gets dropped?

Smaller and possibly lighter. Theres wasted space in the standard boxes, and limited space in our day packs!

Waterproof. I am considering using a oring seal around the top for the lid.

Am I missing anything? Also, I am considering printing a few of these out for people to try in different calibers if all goes well. Anyone interested in something like this?
Here is the first prototype. I think the final will be a 20 round box.
Thanks for your input
Brad
I suppose it all depends on what we each deem to be important for our success.

Recent Posts