Dangerous Game Rifle Recommendations?

No doubt in my mind on this one..... .45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, loaded with some 405grn lead cast slugs. Faster than a bolt hands down. Short, easy to carry, and dependable. If you're worried about weatherproofing, send it off and get it teflon coated inside and out.

Me personally, I'd take 4-5 rounds of that over one more powerful "well placed shot." I guess you could say I wouldn't have that much faith in my ability to place a single shot where it needed to be under a very high stress situation.

No doubt in my mind on this one..... .45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, loaded with some 405grn lead cast slugs. Faster than a bolt hands down. Short, easy to carry, and dependable. If you're worried about weatherproofing, send it off and get it teflon coated inside and out.

Me personally, I'd take 4-5 rounds of that over one more powerful "well placed shot." I guess you could say I wouldn't have that much faith in my ability to place a single shot where it needed to be under a very high stress situation.

Well we all know Marlin's gone, thanks to Remington. Still you can find a Marlin built rifle fairly easily if you look around. The .450 action is a little bit stronger is that matters, but the 45-70 comes in cheaper. I doubt a big bear will know the difference in the end. Nice thing about the 45-70 is that it shoots cast lead bullets very well, but not sure about the .450 as I've never tried them (velocity is really too fast for lead anyway). I bought a couple boxes of Speer 400 grain flat nosed bullets a while back, and promptly cut one of them in half to see how well it was made. Built like a tank! I'm planning on using them in the .450, and they'd be great in the 45-70.

gary

I forgot to add that it would be wise for a fella to shop for one that is stamped JM. I've heard the new Remington bastardized versions are not nearly as nice.

I always find dangerous game rifle threads interesting. Most surveys I have seen make an assumption that the bears is first encountered at a distance of 20-50 yards. While this makes it very convenient, it is a bad assumption. I think whatever caliber or action is chosen, you will need to break down that animal instantly with a single shot from any angle at spitting distance. If a 1000 pound bear(or big cat, buffalo) is intent on killing you is very unlikely that you will get more than one aimed shot off. A well constructed bullet will need to make it through heavy hide,muscle, and bone to either smash both shoulders, the spinal cord, or the brain. While there are anecdotes of slug guns, revolvers, deer rifles, and even AR's killing them, if you genuinely believe you have a good chance of a confrontation, I think these are poor choices and can get you killed. I would err on the side of too much gun.IMO.

This advice is probably worth what it cost you but for mine if you are talking a rifle for stopping a charge from dangerous game then moa really isn't a consideration ranges are going to be short and the target big and rapidly getting bigger.
The cartridges you have listed are really at the minimum end of what are considered DG stoppers I would be looking at going at least 40 and as big as you can handle.

I would recommend the 375 H&H for its long tapered case that feeds very well. I tried the 375 Ruger and that rifle went down the road after it jammed.
I would prefer the 375 H & H it was designed for high temperature , with it's taperd case you will not have to worry about it jamming the action. It is hard to find a pre-64 action winchester action in 375 H&H .:)

Thanks again for all of your recommendations.

As far the bigger the better what do you think of a .729 600 grain bullet at 3000 ft-lbs?

12 GA 3'' BLACK MAGIC MAGNUM

Certainly looks good on paper but I'm skeptical of all lead hour glass projectiles getting the job done on, preferring something in the order of a,458cal, 480 gr Woodleigh at 2100FPS and 5000FP....a well proven stopper....but that's just my viewpoint from a couple of experiences with DG.

This advice is probably worth what it cost you but for mine if you are talking a rifle for stopping a charge from dangerous game then moa really isn't a consideration ranges are going to be short and the target big and rapidly getting bigger.
The cartridges you have listed are really at the minimum end of what are considered DG stoppers I would be looking at going at least 40 and as big as you can handle.

a longer barrel Marlin in .444 will push a 300 grain bullet a little over 2100fps. I've seen 2180fps with H335 powder. The bullet is a flat point solid nosed bullet, but not of a super heavy construction. Still pretty good, and heavier than the other 44 cal. bullets. Still whatever you hit is going to know it. The .450 will push a 350 grain bullet at nearly the same velocity with a very heavy load. Bullet appears to be slightly heavier construction (very important). That 400 grain bullet is really built well, and will do an honest 2050fps if you can stand it! The 400 grain bullet is a little under an ounce in weight, and at 75 feet should hit like a freight train going into a VW. Same could be said of the 45-70 with the same bullet (about 1800fps). If the bullet doesn't break up hitting bone mass, and fails to exit the body it hit, you expend all it's energy. Still if you shots are in the 150 yard and beyond range, then look at something like a .416 Rigby or a .375. Even a .358 Norma mag will work.

Now I wouldn't want any of these for a big polar bear for sure. They just seem to work different than the others. Years back Col. Askins shot a very large polar bear at just under 100 yards with a .378 WBY. mag necked up to 40 caliber. He had to shoot the bear four times before it finally went down the last time at 25 yards in front of him. What we learn here is that a bear can cover a large amount of ground in a hurry, and is also hard to drop with his adrenalin flowing. The bullets he used worked very well, but the bear had another idea. I doubt a .458 would have done any better.
gary

action is weaker, and really not in the same class as the Marlin.
gary

I've never directly compared the Henry to the Marlins, but I have shot a couple steel receiver Henry's and they were great rifles. I don't own one myself but have thought about acquiring one someday. What makes you say they are weaker than Marlins?

Chances are, you are correct. I'm just curious where you got the data? Thanks!

Thanks again for all of your recommendations.

As far the bigger the better what do you think of a .729 600 grain bullet at 3000 ft-lbs?

12 GA 3'' BLACK MAGIC MAGNUM

I've seen some penetration tests with those and they stay together really well. No comparison between those and the Foster style slugs.

I'm actually curious what the composition of the metal slug actually is.

There were so many contradictory requirements for your stopping rifle I doubt any suggestion would satisfy you. Big is not always best. If it was a 50 cal machine gun mounted on a Humvee with a tank as a back up would probably work. I have also noticed that many hunters who can afford dangerous game hunts are older. I wonder if any of them have considered the risk of detached retina from shooting these heavy kicking guns? If you are hunting in Africa you will have a back up PH. If you want 100% guarantee stay at home and watch hunting programs on TV. Pick a gun you can shoot well and don't worry about the rest. Even if the game gets through and kills you, so what. The world will not miss one older, over weight hunter, and your wife will love the big life insurance payout and her new younger play mate!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.