CVA Paramount Pro (custom killer?)

Bigeclipse

If you haven't heard CVA has released another long range option for muzzleloaders. it is called the Paramount Pro. It is based off the Paramount, but has some stellar upgrades. It comes with a cerakote finish on top of the nitride finish, Greybow Fiberglass stock which reduces weight, Triggertech trigger, and finally a threaded muzzle with brake. The only negative I can see compared to Custom muzzleloaders is it is not smokeless rated so you can only do loads up to 150grains bh209. For really far distances, smokeless is the way to go but if you hunt inside 500 yards this might be a much cheaper option. All this at only MSRP of 1499$ which is well under most custom costs (2500-3000$). Do I think it will kill custom muzzleloader market....no, but it certainly could add some great competition to the market. What are your thoughts?

It will not hurt the custom rifle business a single bit. It'll never end up to the standards and quality of a custom built rifle.
Its merely a new to the market rifle, no more accurate at 500yds than say a Knight.

Slower than ideal twist rate for 45 cal, leaking ignition system that will cost $ to fix. A custom can be done cheaper than your $2500 estimate with a proven ignition system and premium cut rifled barrels in faster twist rates.

I don't think it will affect any wait list for custom builders...still doesn't meet the needs of what people are trying to accomplish. Some that only shoot factory rifles will buy them, but they aren't the people that are buying customs in the first place

I think its great cva upgraded the paramount. The real world price will be alot cheaper. I wish they would have went with a longer barrel but it is still a lot of gun for the money. Most people that talk about the ignition system probably haven't shot one. I have fired over 100 rounds out of my paramount it works great and is super accurate. I read all the stories about leaking modules and was thinking i would have to change it out right away. Well I'm glad I didn't. Saved some money and very happy with it ! I looked into a custom and decided it was to expensive for a gun that i will only shoot 50 to 100 rounds out of every year. If money is somewhat tight buy the paramount you will love it

I know one thing you can't fix and that's the weight. You won't Be running up and down hills with it or long hikes. Would I buy one... yep

Hey, more new options are always a good thing! Muzzy tech just keeps evolving and it seems like it has been moving pretty quickly over the last few years, especially with ignition systems. 209's LRMPs in different modules, variflames, direct ignition, etc. The competition helps drive the innovation!

Last edited:
My paramount does not leak around the variflame..and shots really good 140gr by vol. And I will be putting a16x scope on and testing to 500 this spring...and you can't compare a paramount to a knight, I have both and the knight is for sale..

My paramount does not leak around the variflame..and shots really good 140gr by vol. And I will be putting a16x scope on and testing to 500 this spring...and you can't compare a paramount to a knight, I have both and the knight is for sale..

The Knight owners are really hoping that someone with a Paramount shows up, either May30th for the inline match, or in June for the Nationals at Friendship. Short of custom rifles, Knight has dominated the modern inline matches since 2014. Knight has also working on a 40cal fast twist.
Personally, I hope someone, a good shooter, shows up and does well.

I wonder why they made the other improvements but did not improve the ignition system.
Wouldn't that change make it a good factory rifle?
My suspicion is that they are under contract with CE.

CVA is very well aware of a replacement ignition system designed and patented by Arrowhead Rifles, a module system which does not leak. Its the same type ignition system used in many SML rifles. However..... it DOES NOT make the rifle smokeless capable. Many owners are converting.
If CVA used this ignition system PROPERLY, it not only would make it a good factory rifle, but likely the best production factory rifle at this time.

Last edited:
Isn't smokeless illegal in most states muzzleloader seasons?

I hope like heck my including of even the word smokeless, doesn't make people believe the Paramount can or will ever be a smokeless muzzleloader.

It DOES NOT make the Paramount a smokeless muzzleloader. It is ONLY a smokeless rated breech plug.

But to answer your question....... smokeless is not legal in many states, but some do allow smokeless propellant use.

My suspicion is that they are under contract with CE.

CVA is very well aware of a replacement ignition system designed and patented by Arrowhead Rifles, a module system which does not leak. Its the same type ignition system used in many SML rifles. However..... it DOES NOT make the rifle smokeless capable. Many owners are converting.
If CVA used this ignition system PROPERLY, it not only would make it a good factory rifle, but likely the best production factory rifle at this time.

Your suspicion is likely correct.
I see this happen with many products, almost right but not quite. As for me, I would not mind paying a little extra over the current version but I would feel cheated to pay the price for the Paramount and then have to buy the Arrowhead upgrade to make it complete.
It was good to bring up the Smokeless part, but I was not considering that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.