Coyote Caliber Dialing Long Distance

Outlaw 6.0 , I had my 6.5x284 built by Hazer at Bison barrels between Gillette and Spotted Horse .

I know exactly where that is/was & yes, they closed some time ago. Hazer still lives there, just doesn't make barrels anymore. Our family ranch was just up the road in the Recluse area.

I've been to Spotted Horse MANY times lol Jerome passed away & Colleen moved. Jerome's daughter runs it now.

t

MI.264 , how very true here where I live I was kind of isolated from other shooters and at that time when I was starting out to want better accuracy and the other things like brass life , I had to find books and articles to read on the subject . Now I can get on this site look through the different posts and ask others what they do to find the best they can from their rifles , brass and bullets that can be any place in the world .

MI.264 , how very true here where I live I was kind of isolated from other shooters and at that time when I was starting out to want better accuracy and the other things like brass life , I had to find books and articles to read on the subject . Now I can get on this site look through the different posts and ask others what they do to find the best they can from their rifles , brass and bullets that can be any place in the world .
Yes very true. I was talking to a friend, older than I and he was knocking the .264 I'm building, only to find out that he had one as a kid and couldn't get a good group out of that rifle, some time later he took it to a well known shooter to have him tell my friend that the lands were gone in the barreling.
Today we know what to look for when buying a used gun, not that the gun it's self is bad, you just know going into the purchase that you're going to be putting a new barrel on it, but you have a great action stock trigger ect...

But for my friends sake he now thinks all .264's are crap.
Some folks can't get out of their box!!!.

@MI.264

I just remembered that LongRifles Inc in Strugis, SD brought in +20 something Remington 40x 700 Short Action Left Hand receivers. If you're still looking for an action, give Chad & crew a call. Excellent people & Best In Class work.

t
Thanks, Much appreciated. will do.
Just sent them an email

Last edited:
You're correct, as for the many people out there shooting is the make up of many options that are presented.
The beauty of a forum is different perspectives bringing to mind things we might not have thought of, or at least for some time.
Here we can get information at hand a lot quicker than when I first started shooting.
The gun shows or ranges were your best hope for information.
There are so many 'opinions' thrown around nowadays but I prefer to test myself if I find information that makes sense, rather than taking someone else's word. It pays off and I enjoy it most when my POI hits my POA no matter what the distance within the capabilities of the cartridge.

There are so many 'opinions' thrown around nowadays but I prefer to test myself if I find information that makes sense, rather than taking someone else's word. It pays off and I enjoy it most when my POI hits my POA no matter what the distance within the capabilities of the cartridge.
True for doing things yourself. I have learned for some time one, has to execute their own demons do to speak, lol.
But what I try and do is to take everything with a grain of salt, just like all the naysayer's about the .264, those saying just go to a 7MM, well I don't want a 7mm to me they kick to much for me, and there's a lot of underlying things with people. I for one have had my collar bone broken twice, so a .264 works for everything i want to do.

Personally I'd rather support someone in their build or buy of their choice.
Suggestions to me are a lot better than telling someone they're fing crazy or getting nasty.

But hey I think i ran off track, lol.

I also like to hear about someone else's experiences and think about them then try it for myself I'm not too old to learn from others . My son wanted a 7mm Dakota so I had Hazer build him one . I wanted a 6.5x284 for myself . I don't think it's for every one so they can take what they want from me and do as they see fit for their own build it's just plane nice to hear about things that I may not have heard about or thought of heck for some a good 17 might be what they need and for the next guy it might be a 50 caliber bmg chambering . We all have our own minds but as has been said we hear about different things and make it up for what will be what we think will do the best for our needs and wants .

The Guys in the KNOW that, Hunt in, Windy and Cold area's ( Dakota's, Wyo, Colorado, Idaho, N. Nevada, Montana and Eastern, Ore & Washington ) at, the LONGER Ranges, ARE mostly using, a 6 MM of some sort or, another and Bullet weight's from, 85 to 108 grains with, fairly high, BC's.
THEN,. .Pick a Cartridge that, produces, 2,900 to 3,200 FPS and Enjoy ! The .243 win, 6 Creed, 6 GT, 6 XC, 6 x47 Lapua and a few other's, will all work,.. FINE !
Personally, I'd avoid, the smaller 20's and 22's as, Wind DRIFT and "Knock Down", Power,. "sucks" past, 300- 400 Yards out on, the REAL, Prairies !

Last edited:
The Guys in the KNOW that, Hunt in, Windy and Cold area's ( Dakota's, Wyo, Colorado, Idaho, N. Nevada, Montana and Eastern, Ore & Washington ) at, the LONGER Ranges, ARE mostly using, a 6 MM of some sort or, another and Bullet weight's from, 85 to 108 grains with, fairly high, BC's.
THEN,. .Pick a Cartridge that, produces, 2,900 to 3,200 FPS and Enjoy ! The .243 win, 6 Creed, 6 GT, 6 XC, 6 x47 Lapua and a few other's, will all work,.. FINE !
Personally, I'd avoid, the smaller 20's and 22's as, Wind DRIFT and "Knock Down", Power,. "sucks" past, 300- 400 Yards out on, the REAL, Prairies !

Odd, considering every hard core coyote hunter I know runs a fast twist 22-243.... they consistently whack yotes well past 500yrd, in the Wyoming wind.

And on your comments regarding drift.... the 22 cal 90grn A-tip has a G1 BC that is 50 points higher than the 6mm 108eld. Even the 22 Cal 88grn ELD holds a 10 point advantage.... not to mention the 22cal can be driven at higher velocity.... it will drift less, not more.... drop less, not more...

t

KNEW this was coming,. YUP "they will" but, those ARE all,.. SERIOUS,.. "Barrel, BURNERS" !
When I want to put, serious $$$'s into, an Accurate LR Rifle, "Build", I want, the Barrel to, LAST,.. a Bit.
Because, I like to shoot, "other Things" and Practice, a bunch with it, besides just, shooting,.. Yotes
Probably, my, "Old School",.. thinking,.. LOL !
You have, your Opinion and IT does,.. "work", but COSTLY,.. I HAVE,.. Mine.
I'm still liking, "reasonably", FAST, high BC, 6 MM's in, the Cold Wind for, the "Win" with, descent, Barrel "Life" !

Last edited:
Different opinions are fine my friend, that's what keeps the discussion going!

IMHO, barrels are consumable. Which is why probably half of my stable is made up of "Barrel Burners" lol

As a dedicated Coyote rig, the 22 Creed will last many seasons. But, used out on a prairie dog town.... you might not make one season :cool:

t

AGREED,.. I use my 6 XC on Sage Rats with, 80 gr Berger Varmints and Re-Zero for, the 108 gr. Elites for, L R steel and Coyotes.
A "Dual purpose" Rifle that, am hoping to get over, 2,000 "Accurate" shot out of !
Old, retired guy, here, on a semi Fixed, Income ( thinking changes, with Age and quantity of Dinero,.. LOL ! )
Once Finding an accurate, Barrel / Load, we old guys, Tend to, "Baby them" and put our Money into, good Boolitz and Gun Powder,..
NOT,.. Barrels ! LOL !

Last edited:
I'll always pick a 6mm over a .22 cal for coyote work. The 6mms hit noticeably harder, especially as ranges increase.

Given equal cases (.22 Creed vs. 6 Creed), there's no way you can drive a .22 90 grainer as fast as the 6 can run a 105… at least not at equal pressure.

The whole "barrel burner" thing is a dumb argument. I've heard that my whole life…. from at least 100 different people. I've met maybe a dozen people in my life who've actually shot the barrel off a gun… and in almost all cases, it was a "match" gun. That's where the barrel burner reputation came from, match shooting, where you fire all 10 of your shots quickly, before atmospherics change. Treat a barrel right, and you'll get twice the life out whatever caliber.

Shooting the barrel off a gun, is one of the best investments a guy can make. There's a reason that barrels have threads on the end…. so you can screw a new one on when shoot the old one out.

Building a rifle to handle coyotes from 10 - 1000 yards…. is like trying to buy a truck that will tow 10,000 pounds, get 30 mpg, ride like a Cadillac, and get you way back in the hills.