Cleaning with a jag - what patch do you use?

Dr. Vette

I have a question.

I've read all about cleaning with a carbon rod and a jag. OK, I understand the concept and I've purchased a jag kit (Tipton nickel plated), bore guide and a rod. However, any patch I use that is "supposed" to fit a certain size (e.g. the bag says "30 caliber" and I'm cleaning a 30-06) won't fit. I put the patch on the end of the jag and as soon as the jag/patch combo hits the rifle lands, it's stuck. Any effort to push it further eventually pushes the jag through the patch and then I've got a nice big hole.

There must be some incredibly obvious factor I've overlooked on "how to use a jag and patch." :D If someone could enlighten me I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

P.S. the Otis system works relatively well, and is my favorite the past few years, but for various reasons I want to be able to use the rod-and-patch system too.

+1 on cutting down the patch. Make sure it still is good and snug. Also make sure your guide is set up for the right caliber. Many say universal but come with different ends to fit different calibers. I use cotton flannel patches.

Try using a jag one size under IE. .284 or .277

This works in my little corner of the universe.

uh, I don't cut the patch, just "offset" it. I mean, just don't center the patch on the jag, that way you still get a full, even contact with the bore .

I use the same Tipton jag with all of my 30 cal rifles, and I use 2" round patches from Pro-Shot (item #2-500). No problems at all -- I think the round patches work much better than square ones.

Thanks guys.

I have cut down a patch or two when I was just trying to see what might work, and have not seen the round ones.
Makes you wonder why patches labeled as 30 cal or 7mm or whatever don't work with the correct jags.

Are you guys poking the jag through the patch? When I tried that they were too tight. If I use a jag I roll the patch around the jag and never have a problem. For my 7 mm mag I roll my patches around a 22-250 nylon brush and get a nice snug fit.
Wes

The Tipton JAGs work great with round patches from Sinclair. I use that combination in all my rifles .22 Caliber and up.

I don't use the nickel plated JAGs because I don't want hard nickel to be bumping the crown when the rod is pulled back.

I use and recommend Mike Lucas's rod guides. I've tried them all and Lucas guides work the best for me.

Best article I ever read on rifle bore cleaning is here: Bore Cleaning Method

Fitch

I use Viva paper towels cut to the proper size and wrapped around a jag or a nylon brush one size smaller than the caliber. The blue paper shop towels that you can get on a roll at Wal-mart work great also. You can cut your patches while watching TV. Much cheaper than store bought cloth patches. They also work good using a loop but don't try to push them through with a jag by placing the jag in the center, they push through.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.