• Dewey

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • pro-shot

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • others [ please say on thread to what you use]

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters

jamie 22/250

im after a new cleaning rod and jag and brushes and wanted to no what make rods you use on here ? and are the carbon,steel,steel with nylon coating ?

also what sort of cooper remover or powder remover do you use ? :)

I have a couple of the tiptons and a bunch of deweys so I voted for the deweys. I think both are good quality and would serve you well.

Dewey rods, some with custom extensions offered by Dewey. Their coating is much thicker than the competitors and never comes off.

Second on the Lucas bore guides. Next best thing you should buy!!

BH

Jamie, I use Dewey coated rod and Tipton Nylon brushes. Wrap patch around brush and soak with Montana Xtreme Copper Killer. For the caliber of rifle I'm cleaning I use 1 to 2 sizes smaller brush (i.e. 308 cal uses .284 brush). I saturate the patch with a pipette after I wrap it around the brush. That's all I use for carbon and copper fouling. Cleans barrel with 5-15 patches 10 strokes each (back and forth= 1 stroke). Giver' a try. JohnnyK.

Dewey Rods for my various chamberings, but only in combination with an action-specific Lucas Bore Guide.

JeffVN

Boretech, though there are still some Deweys left in my rack.

Bore guides from Russ Haydon (and a few from Possum Hollow).

Barnes CR-10, Butch's Boreshine, or a little of my remaining CopperMelt stash, with patches over Tipton nylon brushes, for "routine" cleaning, and then Witches' Brew and bronze brushes from Holland's for deep cleaning.

I've gone through a number of Deweys. I've had problems with the bearings in the handle. I have a couple of Pro Shots and they are decent rods but the Bore Tech Bore Stix I got recently are my favorite. The handle is very user friendly and the bearings are the best I've ever seen. If they last, this will be my rod of choice.

Festus

Jamie

I would recomend a one piece ,large dia and long enough to clean without
draging the handel on the stock.

I use 4 sizes of cleaning rods.

For the 17 cal your have no choice but to use a rod for the .177 dia.

For every thing under 270 I use a 22cal rod.

For 270 and up (.277,.284,.308,.338) I use a rod that is larger and will only
go in a 270 or larger.

For the big bores I have a custom rod thats .350 dia.

The reason for using the largest rod possible is to keep it from flexing and rubbing
the rifling .( a small rod with lots of room will snake down the bore).

As far as the brand I like bouth the dewey and the tiption.

As far as the nylon coated rods I had a very bad experience with one comming lose
and rolling up on the rod, sticking the rod in the bore .

Use the bore guides and one piece rods and you wont have any problems

J E CUSTOM

A test done a while back at Aberdeen proving grounds showed that it is a really good idea to wipe the rod clean after every pass going down the bore. Doing this slowed down throat erosion. If you do this you will see how much dirty crap is on the rod after every pass.

I use dewey in my benchrest tubes (coated) and pro-shot one piece non coated for all others wiping rod between passes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.