cleaning question?

remingtonman_25_06

I noticed today when i was finished breaking in my dads tikka in 7 mag, and when I was cleaning my remington .270 last night, that even after using sweets and a nylon brush, that I still have something in my barrel. I can see it at the muzzle with a flashlight. It looks to be on the rifling or in the grooves and appears to be a goldish color. Would that be copper fouling, or jacket fouling or what? Anybody know what it is or how to get it completely out? I dont really like the idea of cleaning a rifle and then to see it has a streak of goldish color in it, I just dont like it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Might need to use a bronze brush a little bit with your Sweets.I know they dont last long with Sweets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I just got my first Hawkeye bore scope earlier this week,already feel its one of the best invesments Ive made.I looked at a new match barrel I just recieved,wont say brand,but needless to say its going back because of the excessive tool markings in it.

What you are seeing is referred to as copper wash. It normally has no detrimental effect on accuracy and doesn't pay to clean it out either. If you cleaned your rifle every time to the point that the copper wash was eliminated you would probably wear the bore out by cleaning rather than shooting. You would also put that copper right back in with the first few shots anyway.

If you completely stip the bore clean you will likely have to fire a few more shots, than you normally do, to foul the bore before it shoots consistently again. Many shooters only clean enough to return accuracy.

I have seen this wash in several of my custom barrels. It is likely happening in areas of the bore which are not easily seen too.

If you are really intent on removing all traces of copper you may need to alternate between JB Paste and Sweets. This usually will remove stubborn copper, carbon and anything else that resists normal cleaning methods.

I have also had pretty good results with "Wipe Out" foam cleaner which requires little to no brushing.

im still handing out accelerator samples if you'd like some.
It better than doubles the action of wipeout. Combined I think this cleaner is AWESOME!!! Ive shipped 6 so far... and shipping is on me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate you sending some to me. I like it. Local stores still don't have it.

[ QUOTE ]
It better than doubles the action of wipeout. Combined I think this cleaner is AWESOME!!! Ive shipped 6 so far... and shipping is on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agunner012 (at)hotmail.com

Thanks,
Andrew

Glad to hear it Roy. I still think its stupid that some retailers stock one and not the other.

Agunner, I bought the bottle a while back, and figured it would last for about 9,000,000,000 cans of wipeout, so I thought id spread the wealth... so to speak. its nothing fancy, just a little pill bottle (urine sample?) with some dope in it. email me a address and ill get some headed your way. Its in my info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.