NEVER should've done it

DartonJager

About seven weeks ago was at my private rifle clubs outdoor range double checking my zeros for my three dedicated turkey shotguns and getting disappointingly inconsistent results at 40 and 50 yards.
I had splurged and bought some Apex Turkey Ninja shells just to see what they would do.
I was absolutely astonished.

Attachments

• REM 870 ESM 2.5oz Apex Ninja 40yrds.jpg
    REM 870 ESM 2.5oz Apex Ninja 40yrds.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 334
What choke?

TSS is the real deal, I just wish there were more domestic producers and the price was tolerable by the pound.

We had to purchase some at work for a project and it had to come from a certified manufacturer. The invoice was in the box for traceability, 10.7lbs was over $1700. Now, that included express freight, a comprehensive lab review and a certified weight/specific gravity per pellet. Once the lab was done verifying the information, we filled a cavity and locked it in place with an epoxy. It resulted in a design variance for an experimental rotor system.

I believe these were #10s or #11s, small enough that I thought they'd be of no use for anything other than an industrial application, anything shot with them would be thoroughly perforated.

18gm tungsten is available for a little over $40 lb at Ballistic products. It is just shy of depleted uranium in weight. The stuff is amazing in small bores. No need for it in a 12ga. I shoot 15gm at ducks and geese with a 20. You should see what #3's do to geese. Leag weighs 11gms. You can shoot the stuff in a light 20 ga and not have to carry the heavy gun.

After having shoulder surgery in 2011 I bought a Remington 1187 3" 20 gauge to hunt turkeys. After much reading I bought a Primos choke and Federal Heavyweight #7. It's a hammer and will put more shot in a turkey target at 40 yards than my 3 1/2" 870 would with #6 lead.

I learned years before that if a gun liked a particular shell to buy a bunch. The Federals for the 20 were $15 for a box of five. I'll go back to lead before I'll pay $50 for a box of five shells.

What choke?

TSS is the real deal, I just wish there were more domestic producers and the price was tolerable by the pound.

We had to purchase some at work for a project and it had to come from a certified manufacturer. The invoice was in the box for traceability, 10.7lbs was over $1700. Now, that included express freight, a comprehensive lab review and a certified weight/specific gravity per pellet. Once the lab was done verifying the information, we filled a cavity and locked it in place with an epoxy. It resulted in a design variance for an experimental rotor system.

I believe these were #10s or #11s, small enough that I thought they'd be of no use for anything other than an industrial application, anything shot with them would be thoroughly perforated.
I used what was in the gun. A Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike 0.665" choke.

If you think that's impressive go look at some of the patterning tests with the 28ga apex and 60-70 yards. Lots of hardcore turkey hunters are migrating to 28's because of the tungsten.

There's no reason to get the **** knocked out of you with 3.5" 12ga magnums anymore for turkey hunting.
Duck hunting either.

Expensive but way worth it! I shoot a benelli sbe3 with a 3" federal tss #9s and tru glo choke. Long so far is 74 yards.

If you think that's impressive go look at some of the patterning tests with the 28ga apex and 60-70 yards. Lots of hardcore turkey hunters are migrating to 28's because of the tungsten.

There's no reason to get the **** knocked out of you with 3.5" 12ga magnums anymore for turkey hunting.
I most sincerely appreciate your concern about the very significant recoil of a 12ga 3.5" 2.5oz turkey load.
But to me personally recoil is not an issue and with my boys both now in collage, each needing cars, paying for insurance, gas maintenance and tires new laptops, suits for internship interviews etc etc ect I just can not justify buying new 28ga turkey guns for my sons and I as we all turkey hunted this year to gether and I was the only one who didn't get one.
$220 for TSS shells is quite a bit easier to afford than $1k-$1500 for two new 28ga shotguns we only ever will use for turkey hunting when we have dedicated turkey shotguns that work superbly well.
BUT
If enough companies start making more affordable 28ga pump shotguns designed specifically for turkey hunting and have drilled and tapped receivers then yes I will give them a serious look as my 870 ESM weighs essentially 10lbs with scope, sling and three 3.5" 2oz shells, but the darn thing absolutely utterly hammers turkeys at all ethical ranges. My Benelli SN weighs only 20oz less. And when your hauling butt Especially if its sunny and >70-80*+ out and trying to to get out in front of a Tom or three walking away from you a 7.5lb shotgun is much preferred VS a 10lb one.