Chronograph Help Fort Worth

mww982

This is a long shot but throwing it out there. I am wanting to order a couple CDS dials for my rifles but don't have access to a chronograph. Seeing if there is anyone on here in the DFW area that would be willing to assist me with this? I'll cover your range fee for the day and buy you a box of ammo for your time if you are able to help out.

There are probably some members in your area that can help you out. Are you shooting factory ammo? I'm assuming you are not reloading, as some type of Chrono would be near mandatory in load development. Also check with the range, they may have one to rent.

There are probably some members in your area that can help you out. Are you shooting factory ammo? I'm assuming you are not reloading, as some type of Chrono would be near mandatory in load development. Also check with the range, they may have one to rent.
Yessir, shooting factory ammo. Wish I had time and space to reload.

Huntnful's adice post #4 makes sense to me. You have to know the Ballistic coefficient of the bullet used in your ammo though.
But zeroed at 100, seeing how much drop at 600 and using the BC of the bullet back calculating what muzzle velocity had to have been makes sense in the abscence of a chrono. If you can spare $125, you can get a cheaper one too.

If you can't get access to a chrono.

Just get a good 100 yard zero, use the factory BC, and shoot your gun at like 600 yards and correct the velocity in the ballistic calculator to match your impacts. Then use that velocity for ordering the dial.

Problem is, there are no 600yd ranges in the DFW metroplex, you would have to go to Fossil Pointe or out west to find a range.

I have Labradar and belong to a private range south of Arlington. I could possibly meet you out there, problem is the heat is going to affect your load. Depending on where you are going to hunt, the data could be worthless.

Ok
Look
Nothing removes the guessing like an ACTUAL TESTING.
If you wanna use my pro chrony email me
[email protected]
I appreciate it brother. I found a magnetospeed at cabelas and plus 10% off, I couldn't pass it up. Ended up using it this week with my .300 win mag and 7mm-08. I did a 9 round set to get average speeds to order my cds dials for both.

The .300 win mag using federal terminal ascents 200 grain averaged 2912 ft.\sec. above the stated 2810 on the box. Barrel is a 1/8 twist.

The 7mm-08 using plain ole remington core-lokt 140 grain averaged 2796 ft/sec. which was lower than the stated 2860 ft/sec.

I appreciate it brother. I found a magnetospeed at cabelas and plus 10% off, I couldn't pass it up. Ended up using it this week with my .300 win mag and 7mm-08. I did a 9 round set to get average speeds to order my cds dials for both.

The .300 win mag using federal terminal ascents 200 grain averaged 2912 ft.\sec. above the stated 2810 on the box. Barrel is a 1/8 twist.

The 7mm-08 using plain ole remington core-lokt 140 grain averaged 2796 ft/sec. which was lower than the stated 2860 ft/sec.
Consistency is the name of the game
You really HAVE TO shoot 20 rounds, three minutes between shots, then you'll KNOW your speed
Good luck