Cannot decide what scope for a lightweight Mtn rifle

On that z3 3x9 , can you reset the elevation turret to zero after you've dialed it in?

Yes the elevation and windage turrets are able to be zeroed once you have dialed in your Z3 3-9x36mm scope. You simply lift the adjustment ring, turn it to the zero position and push the ring back down.
20190617_100316.jpg

You beat me to it!

I think the glass is pretty good on the VX3/3i Leupolds, I do think the 2.5-8X36 while a decent scope for short to mid range does get a little dark due to it's small objective diameter. I still use the 2.5-8X36 on my .30-06, .300 H&H, and .338-06 and the work well. However, I actually went down to the VXII/2 3-9X40 or to the VX3/3i 3.5-10X40 on most of my other rifles I shoot alot. The 40mm objective gives me a better FOV and a little brighter scope which is nice especially when it gets to prime time for hunting. Don't misunderstand, I can see well before and after legal shooting light with the 2.5-8X36 but I think the 40mm are better at those times. Plus you only add about 1.1 ounces of weight (357g ) and it'll probably still work in your low mounts with the 3.5-10x40, the 3-9X40 is actually a little bit lighter at 318g vs. 323g on the 36mm VX3/3i.

I do have a brand new VX5HD 2.5-10X42 but it's heavier at 479g or roughly 17 ounces. Plus it doesn't work with the mounts you have. My scope is still wrapped in the box for a future 6mm Creedmoor project, I'm afraid if I open the box it'll find a home on one of my existing rifles and I'll have to buy another

I had not really considered this one until now, It looks like if I am willing to give up some on my weight limit, change my 1" mounts for 30mm, then this might be just what I am looking for. Looks to have a great low power field of view ! Also, does anyone know why the non-illuminated version is being discontinued? I can find it for $799 right now.

I picked up a Tikka T3x superlite in 7mm08 and its 5.9lbs bare. I want to keep it light and handy. It will be used under about 500 yards, maybe 600. I don't like bdc reticles either, so I would like some kind of dial for elevation adjustments.

I was all set to go with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3, from the custom shop you can get it with CDS. In fact I already have some low Game reaper mounts on it for a 1" tube. But then I started lusting after better glass and maybe a different reticle. I actually bought the Maven RS.2 2-10x38, it seemed like a perfect fit and had great glass, but they sent me the wrong reticle , I had ordered the duplex and they sent the SHR version so I returned it. I did test it as it was getting dark against my leupolds and found the SHR reticle difficult to see as it got dark, where as the Leupold duplex was good to go.

I am also looking at the Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 with #4a reticle, it comes in at around 12 oz. and has better field of view than the Leupold. Anyone have experience with this one?

I also have been looking at Meopta, though most of their offerings are a bit heavier than I care for. Their Optika line with the 1-6x has my interest but it's too new to find any reviews? 6x may be too low power for those longer shots? Also I'd have to get a 30 mm scope mount. But their new reticle tech looks interesting.

Any suggestions ?
I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with TPS ultra low rings on my Sako 308 and it is perfect for me. I have since built several custom rifles and it just sits in the safe and never gets used now though.

I had not really considered this one until now, It looks like if I am willing to give up some on my weight limit, change my 1" mounts for 30mm, then this might be just what I am looking for. Looks to have a great low power field of view ! Also, does anyone know why the non-illuminated version is being discontinued? I can find it for $799 right now.

You can do better if you watch eBay, I bought mine for substantially less money than $799 from a reputable seller. I was able to stack a sellers coupon, and an eBay coupon for my discount as well as free shipping. While mine isnt a CDS model I can add it or an M1 dial and still come out a lot cheaper than $799. I bought the one in the link below, you can also save about $60 off a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 right now from this seller.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123099827260

Should probably put the Vortex Razor LH on the list as well.

3-15x42 weighs just over 16oz. 1" tube. Has adjustable parallax as well, which starts to become helpful to me beyond about 400yd.

What's wrong with the VX3 2.5 x 8?

Nothing at all - it's my all-time favorite scope. I'm not your typical guy like this forum was designed for, though - long range to me is 400-500 yards. I've been using this light & handy scope for decades, and am looking to buy another one. I don't dial my turrets; I do maximum PBR sight-in. I hold over when necessary. In short, relative to most of the guys on this forum, I'm doing it caveman-style. As soon as I get myself educated on the finer points of long-range shooting, I may evolve out of this phase - and, I may not. I'll let you know. In the meantime, if you're in the same mindset I've been operating in for the last several decades, I highly recommend the 2.5-8 X 36 Leupold.

What's wrong with the VX3 2.5 x 8?

Nothing wrong with it really. I have really liked mine and like I said was all set to get another. I guess I just caught a bug to try for something more? I agree mostly with nicholasjohn, except even for just 400-500 yards I prefer fo dial instead of pbr or hold over, just seems more accurate to me.

I now have a Tract Toric 2-10x42 in the mail coming to me so I will see if I've found what I'm looking for. If it's not, then I'm probably done looking and I'll get the Leupold and be happy. After my toying with the Maven, I've decided I really like the 2-10x range, seems about perfect for my needs.

I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with TPS ultra low rings on my Sako 308 and it is perfect for me. I have since built several custom rifles and it just sits in the safe and never gets used now though.
I have the same setup on my Volquartsen Fusion. That is a great lightweight scope.

I would also recommend a maven rs2 2-10x38, 12oz great glass as well. You will not be disappointed. Once or twice a year they sale em around 450$

I would also recommend a maven rs2 2-10x38, 12oz great glass as well. You will not be disappointed. Once or twice a year they sale em around 450$

I did try the Maven, I sent it back though. I really wanted to like it, but they sent the wrong reticle, instead of the duplex I ordered I got the SHR which is a hold over bdc type reticle. I almost kept it anyway, but when I compared it to my Leupolds right before dark, it didn't give me anything more than what I already had. That and the fact that the reticle became very difficult to see in low light kind of sealed its fate with me. But it was a very nice scope and just looked like it belonged on the Tikka superlite!

This reticle, and the holdover lines are 5,10 & 20 moa which was weird to me and would not work with my loads very well.
upload_2019-6-22_20-33-31.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.