Cannot decide what scope for a lightweight Mtn rifle

Cornivorus

I picked up a Tikka T3x superlite in 7mm08 and its 5.9lbs bare. I want to keep it light and handy. It will be used under about 500 yards, maybe 600. I don't like bdc reticles either, so I would like some kind of dial for elevation adjustments.

I was all set to go with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3, from the custom shop you can get it with CDS. In fact I already have some low Game reaper mounts on it for a 1" tube. But then I started lusting after better glass and maybe a different reticle. I actually bought the Maven RS.2 2-10x38, it seemed like a perfect fit and had great glass, but they sent me the wrong reticle , I had ordered the duplex and they sent the SHR version so I returned it. I did test it as it was getting dark against my leupolds and found the SHR reticle difficult to see as it got dark, where as the Leupold duplex was good to go.

I am also looking at the Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 with #4a reticle, it comes in at around 12 oz. and has better field of view than the Leupold. Anyone have experience with this one?

I also have been looking at Meopta, though most of their offerings are a bit heavier than I care for. Their Optika line with the 1-6x has my interest but it's too new to find any reviews? 6x may be too low power for those longer shots? Also I'd have to get a 30 mm scope mount. But their new reticle tech looks interesting.

Any suggestions ?

The Leupold and Swarovski mentioned are around 12 oz. , I would like to be in that range. I could live with 18oz. But the size needs to match well with the rifle too, trying to keep it light and handy to carry/balance. Does that make sense? 6oz. May be splitting hairs I know, but those oz do add up.

The Leupold and Swarovski mentioned are around 12 oz. , I would like to be in that range. I could live with 18oz. But the size needs to match well with the rifle too, trying to keep it light and handy to carry/balance. Does that make sense? 6oz. May be splitting hairs I know, but those oz do add up.

As much as I am anti-Swarovski I would stick with the lighter weight. I pay hundreds to cut six ounces. It certainly is NOT splitting hairs. You might also check your recoil pad. Micro-cell makes one that runs about one ounce, or two ounces or three ounces for about 1/2", 7/8" and over 1" respectively.

I even reduced the trigger pull weight to twenty ounces.:)

Maybe check out the leupold VX5-HD in 1-5. You can get it with the CDS dial that locks at zero through the custom shop. Should weigh under 14 ounces. Main downside is that you'd have to swap out your mount for a 30mm

I have a Sawarivski Z5 3-18x44BT and a Vortex Razor HD LH 3–15x42 both at about 12 oz. The weight and glass quality are great. The turrets work for dialing. I modified my Z5 and put a Outdoorsman ring on it so it dials more than one revolution but stock will do for 600. The Razor edges the Swarovski with a bit better elevation turret. The Swarovski has better glass.

I picked up a Tikka T3x superlite in 7mm08 and its 5.9lbs bare. I want to keep it light and handy. It will be used under about 500 yards, maybe 600. I don't like bdc reticles either, so I would like some kind of dial for elevation adjustments.

I was all set to go with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3, from the custom shop you can get it with CDS. In fact I already have some low Game reaper mounts on it for a 1" tube. But then I started lusting after better glass and maybe a different reticle. I actually bought the Maven RS.2 2-10x38, it seemed like a perfect fit and had great glass, but they sent me the wrong reticle , I had ordered the duplex and they sent the SHR version so I returned it. I did test it as it was getting dark against my leupolds and found the SHR reticle difficult to see as it got dark, where as the Leupold duplex was good to go.

I am also looking at the Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 with #4a reticle, it comes in at around 12 oz. and has better field of view than the Leupold. Anyone have experience with this one?

I also have been looking at Meopta, though most of their offerings are a bit heavier than I care for. Their Optika line with the 1-6x has my interest but it's too new to find any reviews? 6x may be too low power for those longer shots? Also I'd have to get a 30 mm scope mount. But their new reticle tech looks interesting.

Any suggestions ?
I have burris 4 x 14 on my rifle it does have the drop compensated hash marks that i dont use .i turn the turrets to what my cartridge wants and am getting 3inch group at 600 yards. Not sure bout the weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts