Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

my 308, it's my goto out to 500 yds.

MDT.jpg

Nosler has load data for their 165 gr-168 gr bullets going 2904 fps using Big Game. At my altitude that'll get you to 600 yards and still above 1800 fps. 1268 ft/lbs energy so good enough for deer. 1495 ft/lbs at 500 yards.

Guess I'm a little confused here the op said he wanted to down size to one cartridge. Ok why have five rifles of the same cartridge? If you're going to have five rifles why not at least have four different cartridges to do all sorts of hunting or target practice. 223 for varmints, small game and target, 260 for deer, 308 for deer, close elk and 338 for the bigger stuff. I understand limiting but if you're going to have 5 guns diversify a little there is no one tool to do all jobs that I know of.

Guess I'm a little confused here the op said he wanted to down size to one cartridge. Ok why have five rifles of the same cartridge? If you're going to have five rifles why not at least have four different cartridges to do all sorts of hunting or target practice. 223 for varmints, small game and target, 260 for deer, 308 for deer, close elk and 338 for the bigger stuff. I understand limiting but if you're going to have 5 guns diversify a little there is no one tool to do all jobs that I know of.
I didn't realize how old this thread was lol. for me I'm looking at a 20 cal to keep me hunting coyotes during the fall/ winter months. 223/ 5.56 varmints and LR practice. 260 AI multi purpose round. 30-06 Winchester FWT for light carrying rifle, a 308 Win or 270 Win would work. And my 7mm RM for LR elk although a 300 WM would work too.

Agreed.

I can see a switch barrel with 5 different setups... maybe.

I have such a beast in mind. The idea would be to build a generational heirloom tool based on the 'Golf Bag' philosophy. A top of the line Titanium Receiver with a half a dozen Bartlein fiber-wraps, 3 Stocks, 3 Scopes...

Or maybe just buy a half dozen good rifles and scopes... 🤷‍♂️

Either way would work. If I was limited to just one cartridge it would likely be the .308. There really isn't much it can't kill. The big question boils down to one of 'at what distance will it do it?' The rest of it is a question of what bullet, with what powder?

Haven't tried the Lever with Monos yet, but I am thinking that will have a good showing re pushing the 'D'.

Many years back I volunteered to go to Iraq with another unit as manning was low. Having already dealt with folks in this region, and it not being a good experience, my wife asked why I would want to do that. My answer was,"Don't ask a man why he does the things he does, he doesn't even know!"
The best answer I can give you for your question is: Because he can!😂

ammo compatibility, large bulk reloading materials orders like powder, bullets etc, great factory ammo support.

All your ammo can work in all your guns (depending on sizing preferences) and you can have thousands of rounds banked back to weather supply and demand shortages.

It's not exactly what I would find optimal but I can see some reasons behind it, especially if you really like multiple hunting rifles, or if your rifle count also includes a tactical rifle/semi auto and a comp rifle

ammo compatibility, large bulk reloading materials orders like powder, bullets etc, great factory ammo support.

All your ammo can work in all your guns (depending on sizing preferences) and you can have thousands of rounds banked back to weather supply and demand shortages.

It's not exactly what I would find optimal but I can see some reasons behind it, especially if you really like multiple hunting rifles, or if your rifle count also includes a tactical rifle/semi auto and a comp rifle
I had four 308 win rifles at one time now that I think of it. M1A, two FAL's, PSS. A sporter rifle would have been a good addition.

Agreed.

I can see a switch barrel with 5 different setups... maybe.

I have such a beast in mind. The idea would be to build a generational heirloom tool based on the 'Golf Bag' philosophy. A top of the line Titanium Receiver with a half a dozen Bartlein fiber-wraps, 3 Stocks, 3 Scopes...

Or maybe just buy a half dozen good rifles and scopes... 🤷‍♂️

Either way would work. If I was limited to just one cartridge it would likely be the .308. There really isn't much it can't kill. The big question boils down to one of 'at what distance will it do it?' The rest of it is a question of what bullet, with what powder?

Haven't tried the Lever with Monos yet, but I am thinking that will have a good showing re pushing the 'D'.

I have several with different barrels and different stocks! Small case head(223), PPC case head, then 308 case head and length, 30/06 case had and lengths, then Magnums.

I will not use a carbon wrap barrel, nor a titanium action, love Brux, Kriegers, Harts.

Same action, same trigger, same scope and scope rings, and recoil lug, save a ton of money.

In hindsight, I wish I had put money into 4 of the 260 Rem(AI) vs 4 custom 308s due to less recoil and BC over .600 helps.
The 6.5x47 Lapua is a darling in all respects.

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
Yes a 308 will kill efficiencly past 500...you gotta have a good gun..less than 1 moa and good ammo AND a good set of scope numbers... a 300 wsm or a 30-06 will make it easier because of a flatter trajectory....
Let the flames begin....

When I decided to downsize my hunting rifle collection I decided on one rifle but four calibers. They were .22LR, .223 REM., .308 Win., and .300 Win. Mag. The rifle is a Blaser R8 and each is scoped with a Swarovski Z8i SR QD rail mount in 1.7-13.4X42 and iLF reticle and a flex turret.
Of these four calibers I find the .308 to be the most versatile and desirable. I killed a wild bison on the Kiabab plateau with the 300 Win Mag, barrel, but honestly the .308 would do the same job with the same bullet and placement, a 200 grain Nosler Partition is deadly when fired from either caliber.

Recent Posts