Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

I know most of not all of you have a 308 so what optics do you recommend? I want to be able to shoot band the target at 1K but making an ethical kill shot at ~600 would be more my style. This custom 308 has a 20" barrel and is a perfect companion in my Honda P1K5 so the optics need to be stout for the bumps and bruises of riding with me. Any recommendations on optics would be appreciated
I would go to nightforce, Swfa hd, or trijicon

I know most of not all of you have a 308 so what optics do you recommend? I want to be able to shoot band the target at 1K but making an ethical kill shot at ~600 would be more my style. This custom 308 has a 20" barrel and is a perfect companion in my Honda P1K5 so the optics need to be stout for the bumps and bruises of riding with me. Any recommendations on optics would be appreciated
Budget?

Here's a real good deal. I just got mine last week. Turrets are excellent, glass is excellent, it uses a RevLimiter type Zero stop very similar to many other MFGs. Japanese HD glass. Entire scope made in Japan.

Last edited:
Last edited:
But of course

What you are describing with the 190SMK in the .300 WinMag is our MK248 Mod 0 ammunition. It has been standard issue for many years now and and quite frankly a very outdated bullet and one of the last I'd pick for pretty much anything.
I am aware of what the 190gr and .300 WM is on the military end... and of causes the military and many LR shoots have moved on from the 190gr in the .300 WM... we are in agreement ... but, as a general bullet weight rule and hunting class bullets in the .300 WM... it still works and works well on game. I'd take a 180gr to 200gr in the hunting field any day. Just my 0.2 Cheers

I am aware of what the 190gr and .300 WM is on the military end... and of causes the military and many LR shoots have moved on from the 190gr in the .300 WM... we are in agreement ... but, as a general bullet weight rule and hunting class bullets in the .300 WM... it still works and works well on game. I'd take a 180gr to 200gr in the hunting field any day. Just my 0.2 Cheers
They'll work in a pinch.😂

IMG_1308.jpegIMG_1318.jpeg