Caliber for new Savage Build

I don't know what accuracy and velocity you are getting with the Grendel. It's a good round. If you are running 123's, IIWM, I would stay under 300 yards.

6.5 Creedmoor is hard to beat at the minute.
257 Weatherby shoots flat.

"NOT" that is.

To each their own. Tough to over-kill something, except when you care about meat damage. I notice hunting-focused types are biased towards overkill round (I don't really fault that) and target-focused people who go hunting over-estimate the capability of paper punch rounds.

I've got a foot in both camps, on whitetails, I'll take my 243 AI to a maximum of 700, on whitetails. Of course my 300WM will do so with more authority and more recoil.

I just put 70 rounds through my 243 AI today in an f-class match. No problem. Can't say I've ever put 70 rounds through my 300WM in a day. Familiarity and proficiency are a large part of long range accuracy.

I vote for 7MM Mag and the the 162 ELD-M

The AMAX (now known as the ELD-M) is a proven deer killer that is very easy is to load for and capable of extreme accuracy.

My 7MM MAG has is REM 700 blueprinted with a Brux barrel and HS precision stock.

28" barrel
69.5 grains H100
2.70 base to Ogive

3100 FPS at the muzzle and 1/2" groups at 100 yards

To each their own. Tough to over-kill something, except when you care about meat damage. I notice hunting-focused types are biased towards overkill round (I don't really fault that) and target-focused people who go hunting over-estimate the capability of paper punch rounds.

I've got a foot in both camps, on whitetails, I'll take my 243 AI to a maximum of 700, on whitetails. Of course my 300WM will do so with more authority and more recoil.

I just put 70 rounds through my 243 AI today in an f-class match. No problem. Can't say I've ever put 70 rounds through my 300WM in a day. Familiarity and proficiency are a large part of long range accuracy.

That's why I clearly noted ...

That's the great thing about having choices and personal preferences. At 700 yards, .243AI is NOT going to be my 1st choice to harvest a wild game humanely ... but that's just me as noted in #9 to the OP.

Cheers!

... which is exactly what we are all exercising (expressing personal preferences) ... that's all.

Last edited:
If you are building from scratch I would do a 257 wby with a 26" to 28" barrel but do it in 1/8 or 1/7 twist. That opens you up to use high bc.25 cal rounds like hammer. My wby is a 10 twist as I left it up to the smith as it was my first build I use it for the exact distance you described. I am very tempted to rebarrel to a faster twist to use high bc bullets. Would really make he 257 shine

you could go with a .30-06, you would not half to put up with mag recoil, and put 150gr bullets in it for white tail, and 180gr-200gr bullets for elk

Hey I'm new on this site. I bought a savage 10 ba .308. I'm running 180gr rounds and I'm sighted in at 100 yards. I'm looking to start shooting out to around 750 to 1000 yards. Does anyone have a ballistic chart that would help me start out and would get me close.

Ok so I found some ballistics charts for the rounds I'm running but I still don't have a spin drift chart my barrel is 24 inches long and has a 1:8 twist to it. Does anyone have any charts for that?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.