caliber for new rifle

Wi whitetail

i am looking to buy a new rifle but i can't decide on a caliber. i have narrowed it down to either a 7mm rem mag, or a 300 win mag. i want something that won't obliterate a deer, but still have the power to reach out and touch them at long ranges. i am left handed so my choices are limited.

Either one will work fine for the purpose that you mentioned.

Personally, I always prefered my 7STW but the 7mm mag isn't too far behind. It may be the PERFECT longrange whitetail cartridge.

30 cal bullets are not really necessary for taking thin skined game.

VH

Obliterating deer has much to do with what type of bullet you hit em with and at what velocity.

Either the 7mm RM or the 300 WM are capable of either obliterating or not obliterating a deer. The 7mm with its tight twists and high velocity, they tend to tear them up a bit more. If you stick to partition or x type bullet niether will tear them up too bad. The 300 is very capable of very high velocities as well, but with more stout bullets in general and slower twists on average, they seem to tear stuff up a little less. Barrel life is similar and IMHO they both kick like mules.

The bottom line is.....get the one that you think you would appreciate more. Which one do you feel is superior? All of us here could argue for years as to which is better or worse. Each has unique qualities that you will have to decide on. Go with your gut. They will both make most deer hunters happy.
smile.gif

WiWhitetail
I shoot a 300win. great gun, My next is most likely going to be the 7Rem Mag. In 7mm you can shoot bullets like a 162 A-Max B.C. 625!!! to get that in a 30 cal your talking a lot heavier and added recoil. Both excelent calibers.

Honestly I would step down to a 30-06. More than enough power to take deer without all the recoil. Plus it seems the whole world has caught magnum-itis and 30-06 are everywhere CHEAP!

I sorta agree with Chris... but I would go 308... you can kill a deer to 750 yards with it.... and can reload to do everything and '06 will do.. mostly....

if your in WI.. not sure how many oportunities there are for 1K stuff.. but then again I don't live there ;-) so how would I know...

There are more than a few 1K opportunities in Wisconsin! There is a lot of agricultural land with fields that go on forever.
smile.gif

7mag works well drives a freightrain to 5-600yds.In the process of builing a 300rum to smokem at 1-1200. One thing about a 7mag if you look after hunting season you can buy shells cheap,I bought a case of shells for $6 box
cool.gif

thanks everybody for your input, but now i'm trying to decide on what make of rifle to buy. i want something light enough to carry around for the better part of a day, but also something accurate out to about 600-700 yards. i sort of had my eye on either a winchester featherweight or a browning. just wondering what everybody else thinks. thanks again

if you would like to get used to 7mm bullets try 7mm08 you would be surprised what you can do with it low recoil and you can A.I.it and be real close to the 7 wssm alot more fun to shoot without the noisy brake

i dunno what sorta budget you have but i would concider the weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight. its a bit pricey but very light (5 3/4 pounds without a scope)and has a 24" barrel in standard calibers and a 26" barrel in mag calibers, personally i wouldn't go with the mag cals though, try a .308, very capable of LR accuracy and will throw a fairly heavy projectile.

[ 06-21-2004: Message edited by: Imortal Wombat ]

WI Whitetail, If you want a lightweight rifle then definitely go with the .308 or the 30-06.

I shoot a 7 STW and I love it (not a lightweight rifle) but I dont like mags in lightweight. It adds unneeded recoil.

Actually, I don't like lightweight rifles at all....but thats just me!

FWIW, I don't like browning.

[ 06-21-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

My vote goes with Ric and Chris on the 308 , with so many great factory ammo offerings its hard to beat. Even at 1000yds if your handloading and choose the correct bullets I woulden't have a second thought about shoot a deer at a grand with my 308.
My longest kill shot on a deer was with a 308 , a 140lb doe shot with a 178gr Hornady A-max launched at just over 2600fps. The range was measudred with a Lieca and a bushnell lazer ad was either 618yds or 627yds either way I dialed in for 625yds and let it bump , ol girl only wnt about 40 yds before dieing
Plenty of power , not head racking , very accurate with plenty of great factory ammo out their

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.