Bullet seating depth question

sean1

I had a 280 ackley built
700 action and brux barrel

I started load development with Berger 168 vld's and h4350. Started with a mild load of 50gr of h4350 with that bullet. I did the Berger suggested test with the vlds. It seems to prefer around the .040 off the lands. However, this loaded round will not fit into my magazine and this is a hunting rifle.

Next I'm going to try accubonds. My question is should I start that testing at .040 off the lands as well since that is what the gun likes? Or since switching to a different bullet it's a total start over?

I had a 280 ackley built

I started load development with Berger 168 vld's and h4350. Started with a mild load of 50gr of h4350 with that bullet. I did the Berger suggested test with the vlds. It seems to prefer around the .040 off the lands. However, this loaded round will not fit into my magazine and this is a hunting rifle.

Next I'm going to try accubonds. My question is should I start that testing at .040 off the lands as well since that is what the gun likes? Or since switching to a different bullet it's a total start over?

You might want to consider one of these

CFE-12 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC..

You have very little of the bearing surface in the neck if it does fit the magazine. I'm little over 3.500" and my 280AI with 168gr VLD. I would start over.

I would try the Berger 168 Hybrid Classic Hunter. Second would try the Hornady 162 ELD-X. Both the Berger Classic and Hornady ELD-X have G1 BCs that are at least 100 points better than the Nosler Accubond. If you built the rifle for LRH you want the higher BC bullets.

I like Accubonds and shoot them in a 7mm RM, but that is not one of my long range rifles. I shoot them in a 300 WSM a lot also, but again not for long range. The Accubonds will start running out of oomph for you at about 600 yards. They can be accurate though and fairly insensitive to seating depths. But I think the above Berger's and Hornady's will be too. Good Luck.

I had a 280 ackley built

how far did you go with the berger seating depth test? you should have found another accuracy node quite a bit shorter than mag length.

With my .308 I was about 0.135 off the lands to get the vld to work.

That hybrid hunter works great and is much easier to find the seating depth for. 168 hybrid hunter has a BC higher than the VLD.

how far did you go with the berger seating depth test? you should have found another accuracy node quite a bit shorter than mag length.

With my .308 I was about 0.135 off the lands to get the vld to work.

That hybrid hunter works great and is much easier to find the seating depth for. 168 hybrid hunter has a BC higher than the VLD.

I did .010, .040, .080 and .120 off the lands. I was unaware that you could find another node going deeper

I had a 280 ackley built

Sean1,
Go with the WYATTS OUTDOOR CUSTOM RIFLE EXTENDED MAGAZINE or go with our 7mm 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullet ( #28570). The CLASSIC HUNTER bullets are made to work at standard magazine length. In most cases all the load testing thats done is to seat the bullet to magazine length and work your load up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. You can find more information on this bullet here:New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog
Also this bullet uses the same load data as the 7mm 168 VLD you are using now.
If you have any questions please contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care,

Sean1,
Go with the WYATTS OUTDOOR CUSTOM RIFLE EXTENDED MAGAZINE or go with our 7mm 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullet ( #28570). The CLASSIC HUNTER bullets are made to work at standard magazine length. In most cases all the load testing thats done is to seat the bullet to magazine length and work your load up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. You can find more information on this bullet here:New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog
Also this bullet uses the same load data as the 7mm 168 VLD you are using now.
If you have any questions please contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care,

Thank you. The other magazine well isn't an option because the action was cut for a detachable magazine.

I think I will order a box of those bullets to try.

Thank you. The other magazine well isn't an option because the action was cut for a detachable magazine.

I think I will order a box of those bullets to try.
Sean1,
Thank you! Again, if you have any questions as you go along with this please don't hesitate to contact us.
Take care,

If you continue to have trouble getting the accuracy you want and be able to use the mag. Give our Hammer Hunters a go. They don't care about seating depth and are very easy to load develop. This is due to the tangent ogive design that we use.

Good luck to you.

Stev

If you continue to have trouble getting the accuracy you want and be able to use the mag. Give our Hammer Hunters a go. They don't care about seating depth and are very easy to load develop. This is due to the tangent ogive design that we use.

Good luck to you.

Stev

Well, accuracy wasn't really the issue. Getting my cartridge to fit in the magazine was my issue. First attempt yielded .5" at 100. I think I have potential but need to find the best combination for my rifle and my needs

I shoot Accubonds in several different calibers. Seating them to the Nosler's most accurate tested depth has worked great for me. My newest caliber is a 7 SAUM, which is a ballistic twin to your 280AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts