Brian’s Idaho 6x6 Bull Elk

Brian, co-owner of Hammer Bullets, shot this awesome 6x6 Idaho Bull using the new tipped 160 Hammer HHT bullet. He was shooting a 6.8 Western. Brian said, "the shot was 150 yards. Bull went about 10 yards, I think because he was running, and slowed to a walk and walked in circles so I put a second one in him, not needed but just what we do if they are still on their feet. Bullet took off the top of the heart and exited."
Congratulations on an awesome Idaho Bull.
View attachment 503591
Congratulations! Heck of a bull for Idaho!

I am curious about how that 6.8 Western performed. I haven't really looked at it compared to the 270 WSM. My Son loves his 270 wsm pushing a 150g Berger

hey Taj, I am not far from you. I have lived my whole life (55+yrs) in Rathdrum and this is the closes I have came to a Bull like those to up here in the Panhandle, this bull was taken pre-Wolf introduction.
You are correct in that the Wolves and I think even more than the out of staters is all the "new residents " that are moving to the state and able to get over the counter tags.
I fear that pretty soon if Idaho keeps growView attachment 543125ing we will be on a draw for elk tags..
Those are some great Bulls for Idaho.
Flatbow, I'm with you Brother. I've tromped the mountains all over N. Idaho and that is not getting any easier. 30 years in the military and over 2500 parachute jumps has taken it's toll on my butt. Last year we went to an old fav spot and there must have been 10 out of state cars parked at the bottom. Your bull is a real dandy and I would be very content and proud to harvest a bull like that. I'm running out of time and have considered hiring an outfitter down south a ways. Even the real $$$ guys are telling me they are lucky to see a 300 bull and they still want 8 to 10k for a hunt.

By the way Pal, I've been hunting with a recurve and now a longbow for a number of years now and have killed a lot of game with that old Sabo recurve of mine. Have "blooded" the longbow on small game but nothing big yet. A 320 or 340 bull would be a real bonus.

Last edited:
Flatbow, I'm with you Brother. I've tromped the mountains all over N. Idaho and that is not getting any easier. 30 years in the military and over 2500 parachute jumps has taken it's toll on my butt. Last year we went to an old fav spot and there must have been 10 out of state cars parked at the bottom. Your bull is a real dandy and I would be very content and proud to harvest a bull like that. I'm running out of time and have considered hiring an outfitter down south a ways. Even the real $$$ guys are telling me they are lucky to see a 300 bull and they still want 8 to 10k for a hunt.

By the way Pal, I've been hunting with a recurve and now a longbow for a number of years now and have killed a lot of game with that old Sabo recurve of mine. Have "blooded" the longbow on small game but nothing big yet. A 320 or 340 bull would be a real bonus.
Yeah stick bows are addicting. I have been shooting trad only since 1991. My almost 30 year old Son refuses to hunt archery with anything other than his longbow that I built him. He has yet to take an Elk with it though. I took my first archery Elk with a compound in 1990, a real nice 5x5 went trad in 91 and have killed Elk with recurves and longbow that I built and now the goal is to kill one with a primitive self bow or sinew backed bow that I built but need to get one under my Son's belt first and before I am too old. :)

Flatbow, that outstanding. The longbow I'm shooting was a custom 68" bamboo backed stick built by the guys at Great Plains down in Texas. It's very fast for a straight stick. When I was in high school ( Mid to late 60s) I worked for a local bow maker by the name of SABO. (Shannon-Allen Bows) . I sanded a lot of bows and learned to line and tiller them from their old bowyer. They made a bow that was noted to be very fast and compared to the old Black Widows in speed. I built the bow myself while working there. I still have that bow and have killed a bunch of stuff with it. It's getting a little hard to draw ( 72# at 31 ") as I get older but I still shoot it a bit.

hey Taj, I am not far from you. I have lived my whole life (55+yrs) in Rathdrum and this is the closes I have came to a Bull like those to up here in the Panhandle, this bull was taken pre-Wolf introduction.
Hey. Here's that elk. It's the one that's in the middle and the highest up. It's not as close resemblance to yours as I remembered seeing it but yours reminded me of it. I thought maybe these elk are like cousins 😆.

Anyway. That's my friend Dons bull. He's from Rathdrum and hunt with a .264wm that I load for or his long bow. It's sad how scarce the wolfs made these here.

IMG_20240226_171935502.jpg

Yeah it does have a kicker off that one side making him a 7 on it.
I'm trying to think if I know any Don's in Rathdrum that are that good of hunters and a trad bow guy.
And your right about the wolves really messing things up. I don't even hunt anymore were I killed that 7x7 and a few others do to so few of elk left.

Recent Posts