Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

I own both systems but have not used the sonic system. It is not the Hornady system but does the exact same thing. Harbo Freight has a similar system for about half the price. If yur interested, HF has two systems I purchased the larger system but have never used it. In researching I found that some of the cleaning media for the sonic type systems removes some brass. I found a write up at AccurateShooter.com the author had me convinced and I was about to dive in but found the ss pins before I jumped. I like the pins idea better - there is no damage to the brass period. Good luck.

I now own all three systems and by far the best is SS media. Used it in a simple Harbor Freight dual 3lb. Rock polisher, results are amazing. FYI, after cleaning don't leave brass in SS media. I rinsed and drained the brass and media together then got sidetracked on another project 2-3 days later got back and found brass had tarnished Due to galvanic reaction, the tarnish was no big deal just tumble again but there may be a possibility of metal weakening if left too long.(?)

Brian, thnaks for the input, I found the same results, the best I've seen as well. Thanks for tip on not getting distracted.

I like a lot of things about the Stainless Tumbling Media method. For one, it saves many hours of work at the reloading bench. For example, I no longer have to waste lots of time cleaning the primer pocket. And the brass is like new - inside and outside - after only 3 - 4 hours of tumbling.

Where does one get brass media?

tainless Tumbling Media

You write: "they were using brass instead of stainless as the media and the brass coming out of it looked beter than new".

Were can one purchase brass media?

I am using it in a Thumbler Model B tumbler after decapping..... Dash of dawn and a spoon full of lemishine and even the worst looking brass comes out looking like new....

I use the RCBS media separator filled with water to separate the media from the brass when processing smaller calibers.... Quick and easy.....

Great article! I am currently looking for a tumbling system and I think I'll follow your advice and buy this system and media. Thanks for sharing...

I tried the media with 1 teaspoon of lemi shine available at target, walmart and various stores. You can get a free sample online. I also added 1 tablespoon of dawn soap and filled the container 3/4 full. I used a horzonal tumbler available at Harbor Freight. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW WITHIN 1 HOUR CARBON REMOVED AND BRASS CLEAN READY TO LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM MOST SATISFIED NOW i DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN OUT PRIMER POCKETS WITH CORN COB MEDIA. AND NO CARBON TO DEAL WITH.

i HAVE THE SONIC CLEANER AND HAVE USED IT, THE WALNUT MEDIA AND CORNCOB MEDIA FOR VIBRATORY BRASS CLEANER AND POLISHERS. NOTHING COMPARES TO THE SS MEDIA WITH A HORIZONTAL TUMBLER. REUSABLE MEDIA AND LESS CARBON MAKES ME HAPPY.

WORKS FOR ME
ODAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.