Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

I bought 5 lbs. of stainless pins and began experimenting with my Lortone Model QT66 tumbler, using 2 - 6lb. capacity drums and a squirt of Dawn dish soap in the water. The rifle cartridges come out shiney and clean, inside and out, likewise the pistol brass with no media stuck in the primer pockets. Experimenting with times from 1.5-3 hours and can't see much difference other than primer pockets get cleaner with longer cycles. Next batch will get a dose of LemiShine. After rinsing, I dump the brass and pins in my Dillon media separator and give it a few cranks to drop the pins out. Then the brass gets dumped on a dry towel and blotted with another dry towel. Finally, The brass goes on a plastic "thing" I found at GoodWill. It is green, about 9" x 9" square with plastic "blades of grass" about 2.25" high. I'll post a pix as soon as I figure it out. I use a hairdryer if in a hurry or place it on top of the gas range and let the pilot finish drying it. Doubt I will ever go back to dry media.
Leadlober

i have ultrasonic (if you want to try one, just go to Amazon. much better selection and prices. you can get an extra large heated ultrasonic cleaner for $75.), vibratory, and a tumbler with SS pins (i bought the kit from MTM).

it's not even close. the SS and tumbler is so much better than either of the other two it's not funny. yes, it's still aggravating, but at least the brass is clean when you get done.

If you have a sonic cleaner ,run the brass in it first for about one hour .Then put your brass in the tumbler with the SS pins and they will only need one hour max of tumbling to be better than new looking .Arnie

Iave been doing it for awhile

I have found the best for me ......add 2tbls dawn 1/4teaspoon lemi , 3QTS warm water 50-100 rds brass (2 lbs) tumble for 2.5 hrs (3 max for super dirty) I use a timer ..... pockets are clean , rinse with hot water.

also watch if u mix brass as they can stick together .... like 45acp will fit over 270

watch for the mouth edges getting pinned /roughed up if u have expensive or match grade brass in it ......gone when u trim if needed.. seems to be worse with small batchs

STMBlackFriday.jpg

Slow learner,tried dry and sonic cleaning with so-so results.
Got new Stainless steel pin cleaner and the results were unbelievable , better that new,primer pockets are super clean. I feel bad it took me so long to step up to new cleaner.

Charlie. gun)

They are calling it 2 weeks but mine was slightly less. I just got done tumbling some 300 WM that hadn't been shot too long ago. I ran for 1 hour and they were spotless.

I went into ss tumbling cheap with the harbor freight dual model. It also does 2 lbs and right now is only 46 bucks. Works great with a squirt of dawn half a 9mm or lemi shine and just enough water to cover the brass. 1 lbs of brass in each drum. What I'm looking into is the best drying method. Someone said they use the oven on its low setting with door cracked and there were concerns with that weakening the brass. Is that true or is that method ok or what are the other options

Works wonderful for me! I do not tumble over 1-2 hours and brass is clean as can be inside and out. I dry on cookie sheets in the oven with convection on at warm for about 15 min or so. Will never go back to dry media.

I noticed someone saying they dried their brass out afterwards using their oven and read one guy not liking that idea whatsoever.

Anyone else have any issues with throwing your wet brass in the oven at say jerky temps to just dry it out? My oven's lowest temperature is 170 but I could just turn it off at 170 and then set the fresh brass in there for a couple hours.

Any thoughts or advice? My other option would be to just get a small fan and position it to keep on the brass for most of a day.

Thanks...

G..

170 or less won't normalize the hardened brass case base. You need in excess of 300 degrees for a protracted amount of time. You are fine.

If you wife has a dehydrator, use that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.