Blackhorn problems

dblman

Three years ago I resigned from my last deer lease. A lease where we hunted mostly with muzzleloader.
I bought a 5# keg of Blackhorn just before I left and it's been sitting in my loading room for 3 years.
Tried to use it on a new CVA Accura rifle, hangfire, misfire, backfire, everything but good solid shooting.
I had decided that it had gone bad so I called Hodgdon who bought Blackhorn from Western Powders.
Their chief customer service guy, Luis was a tremendous help. He analyzed my load components and immediately had the answer to my trouble.
WRONG PRIMER
When I was shooting before these new MZ primers had not been introduced. I shot regular 209 primers, no problem.
After Luis gave me the answer, I grabbed a box of CCI 209 M primers and headed back to the range.
12 shots, no misfires or hangfire and a 3 shot group at 100 yards that nets .373..
Pretty happy right now.
Don't let anyone tell you that MZ primers work with Blackhorn, they do not.
Thanks

I did the Arrowhead ignition modification to a Rem 700 UML. I use Fed 215M primers, and they work great!

Blackhorn 209 sends my Pittman 325 gr bullets out the barrel at 2325 ft/sec. I added an LRC MZ-TREX muzzle brake, or I'm certain I would dislocate my shoulder. 49.5 lb-ft free recoil energy!

Glad you got your ignition problem sorted. It's always heartening to hear of excellent customer service, so good on Hodgdon!

What is even more interesting in my mind is the marketing ploy that is 209M primers. For years I shot Triple7 with Winchester 209's. No problems. I didn't even realize they made 209M until a buddy showed me his.

I switched to Blackhorn 209 years ago. So much better precision. 3 inch 100 yard groups reduced to 1 1/2 inch and often less. I'm still shooting out of that same brick of Winchester 209's.

I had to shim mine to get it to work in my Knight. Take a look at this. Shotgun primers are must with BH.