Best ar barrel and place to have upper built?

I have shot a lot of 223 and Grendel. I will agree with several others that rainier arms ultramatch barrels will run with just about anything else I've tried. White oak and Noveske were nice barrels too. Rainier will build it for you too if you don't want to do it yourself.

I have my lower ready to go and a stripped upper that matches my lower very well so I want to use that. I want to send that upper off to have a barrel, gas block/tube and everything else done. I'll still pick out the handguard.
But looking for recommendations for a good quality barrel and place to have upper built?
Mostly casual shooting/varmint hunting.
223 Wylde or 6.5 Grendel are my considerations.
I have a Barnes Precision Machine and it flat out gets er done

I just put together a 223 wylde ar15 and 6mm Creedmoor ar10 with JP barrels. I haven't had time to work up loads for them yet but both shot loads designed for my other guns better than I expected. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting both to shot less than 0.5" at 100 yards because they already do with rounds created for other guns. Fortunately there are a lot of good barrel makers out there. I'm guessing I would have been pleased with barrels from any of the top barrel makers. If you had the skill to put together the lower receiver, you shouldn't have much trouble putting together the upper receiver and gas block.

I have my lower ready to go and a stripped upper that matches my lower very well so I want to use that. I want to send that upper off to have a barrel, gas block/tube and everything else done. I'll still pick out the handguard.
But looking for recommendations for a good quality barrel and place to have upper built?
Mostly casual shooting/varmint hunting.
223 Wylde or 6.5 Grendel are my considerations.
New to the forum,long time lurking.Have built many ARs and used lots of different barrels. Rainier's,Noveske,White Oak. Any of these accurate as hell. Not sure about sending your upper to have it assembled. It's really not to difficult with minimal tools.Should give it a shot.Good luck with your new AR.

New to the forum,long time lurking.Have built many ARs and used lots of different barrels. Rainier's,Noveske,White Oak. Any of these accurate as hell. Not sure about sending your upper to have it assembled. It's really not to difficult with minimal tools.Should give it a shot.Good luck with your new AR.
Barnes Precision Machine has there uppers already built, 223 wylde, the barrel is stainless match grade, bolt carrier group is nickle boron coated.
https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/i..._id=24&zenid=8e6c9891ff98195ab2509c1cf2fdbee8

The gang here pretty much loaded you up on barrel info.

So I'm going to throw my hat in for you caliber selection. I never cared much for the 5.56 but built a bunch back in the day. Last year, while in a 6.5 frenzy (built 5 different chamberings of 6.5) I found out about the 6.5 Grendel. Converted two existing AR's to 6.5 and just finished a third one last week.

If you ever decided to deer or hog hunt with your AR, the 6.5 Grendel would do a fine job out to 300yds as long as you use a long enough barrel to let it stretch it legs!

We don't have hogs up in ND like much of the southern half of the US (although there have been sightings). So that's not a concern. I don't want this to be a deer gin also. I prefer my bolt guns for that or lever action in the thick brush.

This really is only being built for fur (predators, varmints) with a little plinking if I want to.

I'm actually thinking now of a 204 or 223... thoughts? Sub 400yrd gun. (I'd just buy shelf ammunition).
Under MOA is acceptable for this gun.
I just don't want a heavy gun I have to lug around when trudging through snow filled prairie grass.

We don't have hogs up in ND like much of the southern half of the US (although there have been sightings). So that's not a concern. I don't want this to be a deer gin also. I prefer my bolt guns for that or lever action in the thick brush.

This really is only being built for fur (predators, varmints) with a little plinking if I want to.

I'm actually thinking now of a 204 or 223... thoughts? Sub 400yrd gun. (I'd just buy shelf ammunition).
Under MOA is acceptable for this gun.
I just don't want a heavy gun I have to lug around when trudging through snow filled prairie grass.
Shilen makes a .17 Rem barrel that comes with a headspaced bolt. There is no better fur cartridge. Only hang up is it is a 1-10 twist that limits you to 25gr bullets, which limits practical range to about 300. Perfect for a calling rifle, but with limits. If it was a 1-9 I would own one. I may build one anyway. I have two Sakos in .17 and prefer them to my AR for fur.

We don't have hogs up in ND like much of the southern half of the US (although there have been sightings). So that's not a concern.
People here say, "when it comes to hogs...there are only two types of people. Those who have hogs and those who are going to have hogs!"

If your going to go with factory ammo, have you thought about the .224 Valkyire? I find a ton of that brass at the range.

I have used Satern barrels and they are lights out. I have had 3 builds with the barrels that Satern provides to Brownells and they all 3 have been 1/4 rifles. They are in Creedmoor, but I also have had the Satern barrel in 223. Very accurate.

I have used Satern barrels and they are lights out. I have had 3 builds with the barrels that Satern provides to Brownells and they all 3 have been 1/4 rifles. They are in Creedmoor, but I also have had the Satern barrel in 223. Very accurate.
I'm looking to have the whole upper built for me. I just don't want to do it. So I want to buy a barrel and everything needed from a company that will also put everything together for me.
It's looking like Rainier Arms and their Ultramatch barrel and have them assemble and accuracy test

I'm looking to have the whole upper built for me. I just don't want to do it. So I want to buy a barrel and everything needed from a company that will also put everything together for me.
It's looking like Rainier Arms and their Ultramatch barrel and have them assemble and accuracy test
The guys at Rainier know their stuff. Very professional. Also, I'm not positive about the new ones, but I know their old UltraMatch barrels were built off of cut-rifled Shilen blanks, according to what I was told by them. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.