Best 600y elk cartridge to built on top of 270 Win Tikka action

280, 280ai, 30-06, 6.5-06, 284, 6.5-284. Every single one those is plenty capable. That 280ai is probably the best bet for less than optimal impacts.
Best answer for the question, and the least expense for converting, the 30-06 n 280AI if your not a reloader. The 30-06 has been a most underlooked cartridge for a long time, it just doesnt have the glam, it took us thru 2 world wars and you can still find ammo just about anywhere.

I would take a second to check the dimensions of the 6.8 Western, vs the 270 Win. See if the bolt face and extractor need to me modified ,or not. Determine if it is a big deal for a gunsmith to handle. Also the opening for the mag well. I think like the 280 AI, as well as the 6,8 Western shooting a 170 Grn .Bullet , may be worth a look. Since you're building it, you can decide if a 24 inch or 26 inch barrel, with an 8 twist would be best. I think either caliber will offer you the velocity and energy you need for elk, but I'm just not sure of the energy numbers at 600 yards. Ill bet there are guys here that can tell you those numbers.

So I went through a similar thought process awhile back, and picked the 280AI. It's been a good shooter so far, but brass is a bit of a problem. The only factory brass available right now is Nosler, which wouldn't be my first pick honestly. That wasn't even available a few months ago when I took delivery, so I fireformed some hornady 280 rem as it was all I could get. I am losing a lot of it on the 3rd firing to lines indicating it is about to have case head separation!?

Anyway disregarding the hornady brass, the only non nosler higher end brass even advertised for 280AI is from peterson, which hasn't been available since I started looking last spring. I called them the other day, and was told possibly spring 2023, as they hadn't been able to get the cups they need to make it.

I'm going to try the nosler brass, but would much prefer something a bit harder.

The long and short of it is, I wish I had picked something else. 7mm-06 AI might be an option, nearly identical but could neck down and fireform excellent lapua 30-06 brass.

But the moral of the story is, think about brass.

If you ve got brass, etc on 270 you could do an 8 twt since barrel being replaced. It s be plenty to 600 yards.

Only issue with that route would be limited high bc bullet selection.

As others stated, 280 AI probably best option. (Don't rule out a standard 280 either)

I've had good luck with the Nosler .280 Ackley brass. I've got one lot of brass that has 10 firings on it and still going strong, primer pocket is still tight. I don't hotrod it though, shoot the 168 VLD at 2875, 22" pipe.

I went the same direction with a tikka action. Ended up with a 7 saum. 175 grain noslers on the long action just over 3000 fps. Won't have any problems out to 600 yards. Also have a load worked up on the short action with the 162 eldx that is close to the same velocity.

i recently went from a 270 wsm tikka t3 lite to a 28 nosler. I added a carbon 6 barrel, AG stock, and Long Action AICS Bottom Metal.

I have not worked up a load yet but expect this to be my long range elk rifle.

I have a custom throated 280ai that I run 183smk at 2987, and 197s at 2800. I'll check my overall length. But if it's tikka mag issue then I don't know what to tell you…. 6.5x280ai and run the 156 class bullets 3200fps or something crazy.

Rebarrel a 270 win with a 7 1/2 twist barrel. Use 165 Nosler ABLR with H4831sc powder. A barreled 270 WSM also an option. What you are mimicking is a 6.8 Western with the 165 Winchester factory load. You won't be disappointed.

I think the Tikka action is gonna be just about perfect length for the new 7mm PRC. Basically a 7mm Rem Mag that can seat the heavies out longer and fit perfectly in the Tikka action. I know it's a new round, but think it'll crush elk for you (180+ grain bullets) and still function well in your rifle.

I've considered 280 AI but it seems like I might run into COAL issues. 284 WIN doesn't seem like it has enough bang.

Are there any other options with standard bolt face?

There are several good 600yd elk cartridges that work on a standard '06 bolt face. Many, many elk have been killed at those ranges with 270, 280, 30-06 and in "old school" bullets and loads. With today's advancements and especially in AI configs, most anything in the .277-.308 with a proper twist, barrel length and bullet/load selection will suffice for 600yds.

Just a few days ago, another LR 30-06 posting was discussed with a good load in a 215 Berger, but through the years, we have held many such discussions using the '06 bolt head. Personally and if solely for elk, the 280, 280AI, 30-06, 30-06AI or similar configs would work great. Far too many people think you must use some type of latest "magnum" to kill an elk at medium ranges, and while they do bring a certain level of increased energy, many of the old standards with proper loads work extremely well. Remember, all the energy in the world does little good if it is not placed in the right areas.

Dare I mention my 25-06 with 110AB's?

Last edited: