Best 6.5 CM Hunting Bullet for Moderate Long Range Distances

Custon Cartridge Inc. is supposed to be commercially loading Hammer Bullets, I also want to think GunWerks might also be tasting and potentially loading them . I have the following data on a few 6.5 factory loads. out of my Savage 10 BA Stealth 24 " factory barrel

143 grain ELDX Hornady Precision Hunter ammo 2641FPS ( LAB RADAR) 5 shot average, 1792 plus or minus at 700 yards Shoots 3/8" solid group , bedded, blueprinted, 1 pound trigger .

127 grain Barnes LRX Vortx ammo 2813 FPS (LAB RADAR) 4 shot average . Shot a 3shot -1/2" but I pulled 4th shot and went to 3/4". will reshoot this load but would think it will get you to 600 without any expansion issues . Call Barnes and they will give you the min speed need for full expansion.

120 grain Hornady GMX Superformance 3012 average FPS (LAB RADAR) 9/16" group . Call Hornady and they can give you the max speed needed for full expansion . I

All the load developement for hand loads is for a target bullet RDF so no good for you in the future if you decide to load hunting bullets .
I probably have more info on other ammo but think these will cover your questions. If you can find any ammo right now it would be a blessing !

Floyd
Would that be Conely Custom Cartridge?

For my 6.5 creedmoor, I plan to use some monolithic bullet loads as my go-to for medium big game (deer, antelope, hogs). My one concern is that it looks like below 2,000 fps, you start to run into expansion problems, and with my 24'' barrel, I'm guessing most loads will hit that threshold before 400 yards. So, I'm thinking about trying to decide on a (lead) option for longer ranges when I'm not in a lead-free-only area. I'd like it to be something with good weight retention, and definitely not anything prone to fragmentation (I like my meat without lead). High BC would also be preferable since this is longer ranges.

I have been able to get a few boxes of Barnes Vor-Tx LR, so maybe that drops the threshold down a few hundred fps. But from what I've seen, I'd still be reluctant to trust those bullets out much farther than 400 yards.

I won't be taking any super long shots, so this question is really about the 300-something to 500-something yard range. At that point, the bullet is running out of energy anyway.

I'm not currently handloading, so I want the bullet in a factory load.

I know that there are a lot of bullets that will do the job (ELDX, partitions to name a few), but not sure what the best options are for what I describe as of 2022.
143 gr Eldx and a Mulie buck
Montana elev 4000'
Small hole entry..jello in between… golf ball size hole at exit.
Deer ran for about a quarter of an inch😊

I prefer Bergers/cup and core bullets, but the OP is looking for a lead-free option.
Thanks but I'm asking about LEAD options. I will be using lead-free up to maybe 300 yards but would like to find a lead option for longer range shots when I'm in a state that is not lead-free-only (since there are lead bullets that will perform a lot better at lower velocities than any of the monolithic bullets out there).

Thanks but I'm asking about LEAD options. I will be using lead-free up to maybe 300 yards but would like to find a lead option for longer range shots when I'm in a state that is not lead-free-only (since there are lead bullets that will perform a lot better at lower velocities than any of the monolithic bullets out there).
Thanks for the clarification, so you have two requirements then. Your post was confusing because you also commented you do not want lead in your meat. Going lead-free is the only way you can prevent that.

Last edited: