Best long range 6.5mm/.264 caliber for hunting deer sized animals

Best 6.5/.264 caliber for long range deer

• Total voters
Rhett, I agree, the 264 Winchester magnum was the 1st 6.5 magnum. But, like other cartridge developers of the time, Winchester did not take into account the need for longer cartridge case necks for loading longer (& heavier) 6.5 bullets within the COAL.

As well, the benchrest shooters' discovery of sharper shoulder angles in 6 mm wildcat cartridges giving better combustion was not fully understood as it is now so Winchester played it safe with a conventional shoulder design.

Eric B.

Rhett, I agree, the 264 Winchester magnum was the 1st 6.5 magnum. But, like other cartridge developers of the time, Winchester did not take into account the need for longer cartridge case necks for loading longer (& heavier) 6.5 bullets within the COAL.

As well, the benchrest shooters' discovery of sharper shoulder angles in 6 mm wildcat cartridges giving better combustion was not fully understood as it is now so Winchester played it safe with a conventional shoulder design.

Eric B.
Yeah. I purchased the 375HH mag box and spring but unable to get the follower right now. Called Winchester since they still use the cartridge in the Alaskan and Safari models but unavailable so.........off to the machine shop it looks like.

ron,
With my 6.5 PRC and 143 gr. to 160 gr. bullets and my 24" barrel I'd shoot deer or antelope up to 700 yards.
I compete at long ranges and am comfortable with my 4.5 - 18 x 44 mil/mil Bushnell LRTS hunting scope for that task. It has a nice G3 reticle which is less "complicated" than my H59 Xmas tree reticle in my competition scope. I prefer to hold on a reticle than dial. My LRF binoculars give me the proper hold reading for my specific ammo load.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have weighed in on this.. but it seems many people have and we seem to have a 3 way tie for the most desirable 6.5 long range.. my vote was the 264 Win Mag. no matter what anyone says because this is subjective but I looked at the performance and powders and a lot of other things. I believe for versatility and long range the 264 Win is the best. if you have a heavy bullet twist barrel then you can fling heavies long distances. most every custom barreled 264Win I have shot has been match accurate, and seems to make very small groups at 600 yards, 800 yards and I have taken a few out to 1,300 for fun. Bergers are the choice of projos. they work very well. I think enough said by me.
later tatters.

I chose 6.5-.284 but would just as soon use a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. In all honesty a 6.5mm 130-140 grain bullet with a mv of around 3100 fps doesn't give a rat's patoot which cartridge got it there.

The 6.5x68S was the original 6.5mm Magnum in 1939. Essentially the same case capacity (within a grain or 2) as the 264 win (which came along 20yrs later) but in a beltless case!!

I voted 6.5-284 - gets the heavies up to a respectable velocity without being too overbore. Good brass is inexpensive and easy to find.

Last edited:
I am going to say the 6.5-284 only because it is such a wonderfully accurate round. Also it is the only 6.5 I own. Using it for the first time this year on an antelope hunt in California with 140 Accubonds.

6.5x47L is my first choice. Realistically people only shoot deer inside of 200yds with the occasional 400yd shot. With 120-130 class bullets it hammers. I killed the Gemsbok in my profile pic with a 123gr AMAX.

My long Action choice would be 6.5x284. It's inherently accurate with enough boiler to handle the 140s.

90% of my experience is with 6.5mm's and like most have stated it's all about bullet choice.

I would never pick a creedmoor for work under 1000yds or the PRC inside of 2 miles

Nice to see another 6.5x47 fan. You said it right. With 130's at 2950 fps, deer just fold up. I haven't stretched it beyond 500 yds but I think it would be good to 6-650 yds on deer.
I'm also a big fan of the 6.5x47 for medium range deer hunting, and PRS/competition. It's surgically accurate, easy to load, and has a case life in excess of 20x with Lapua brass. With no fuss, all three of my rifles chambered in this cartridge deliver performance in the .1-.2MOA range with SD's less then 5. With few factory loads available, you have to be a hand-loader to take full advantage of this cartridge.

I load for 3 6.5 calibers. My wife and I shot 6.5x47s, my son shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I also shoot a 6.5 Addiction. In any new caliber or rifle that I'm looking at, I look at options for brass and powder. While I love my 6.5x47, it only has one brass maker. My son's Creedmoor is just as accurate, only takes a grain more powder, but has a lot of brass choices, and even large or small primer options. I like my addiction and one of the reasons I decided to go with a wildcat was Scott Satterlee's 6.5 Guys interview, when he said he wanted a cartridge that would always have components. 6.5x55 brass has several makers, it has a wide range of powders to use, and 4831 has been one of the easiest to consistently get. 6.5x284 is similar but for a long action.

I am going to say the 6.5-284 only because it is such a wonderfully accurate round. Also it is the only 6.5 I own. Using it for the first time this year on an antelope hunt in California with 140 Accubonds.
You might want to reconsider the Accubonds, it's all lead free these days in Ca., Etips if your staying with nosler, or you might consider barnes 127 lrx,
Mike

Thanks for the reminder. I have not hunted in California for a few years. I also have some e-tips I can use. I am hoping this is my last year in this lousy state.

Recent Posts