BERTRAM BRASS FOR 6.5 SHERMAN SHORTMAG??

From what I have seen from various testing larger FH up to a point actually showed improvement. But that depends on where the starting point in. I know for the 308 case it started @ 2mm with a certain manf and the best accuracy was found @ 3mm yet vel/press changes were only 2% but accuracy from smaller than spec to larger was 20%.

The main thing that would keep me from wanting to change FH sizes is the accuracy you have already been getting. I do not how many groups I have seen in the .1s. Still something to discuss with Bertram. I would say ask him if he could send you say 10 case prototypes for 6.5ss and then work up loads and see what the groups and es sd looks like and go from there. If its worse then ask to have the norma fh size used.

we also need to know what each size fh actually

To me if held at a certain powder column length I would think a primer flash you want to expose a certian % of the powder column. That means a wider powder column such as the short mags could stand to have a FH larger than say a 308.

In some of test results I saw that were posted on the net with high speed film increased size did not have a neg effect on the length of the flash but did increase the width of it. I know some had hoped a small fh would create a funnel effect but it did not seem to from the results I read.

But I did not spend hours an hours researching it deeply.

Last edited:
I think it will be just fine and in fact based on the tesitng 0.118 actually produced better groups. Let me find the link to the PDF to the thesis where they did the testing.

But I also just reread the testing that was published on accurateshooter 6mmbr about the testing on the lapua 308 large and small base primers with the change in flash holes. They tried it all ways with the larger primer and smaller hole and vise versa but with that powder column there no positives from the smaller flash hole.

I skimmed thru the Fiocchi data and got down to the summary. From what I could glean, peak pressure changed with flash hole size and likely varies by case diameter as to optimum size needed. SO MANY TESTS TO DO!!

I skimmed thru the Fiocchi data and got down to the summary. From what I could glean, peak pressure changed with flash hole size and likely varies by case diameter as to optimum size needed. SO MANY TESTS TO DO!!

Nice thiing is if they go .080 and lets say maybe it could be a tad bigger for ideal, a ligbt clean up and chamfering of the fh will be a positive.

The part of that study I found interesting was the efcect of powder settling when in cbamber and mag. If you havelezs than 100% fill with bullet seat depth the flash hole ends up being off center of the powder column itself as the powder settles to bottom. Makes a case for drop tubes or tapping and 100% to ever so slightly compressed load for consistency of preasure curve, powder burn rate and effect of the primer flame front.

Maybe that's why I have been having good luck lately. My loads are COMPRESSED!:D

That very well could be. Possible it makes them more stable as it would keep them better in the accuracy node even with changes in vel from temperature effects as it could be effected by the flame area of the primer powder contact.

The only issue I have ever seen with compressed loads were when they were over pressure or they were using long grains that compressing crushed them changing the burn characteristics and thus pressure curve.

I am getting really excited about getting factory cases now. Not that forming was a big deal as I have the time but having really hard tough consistent brass is going to be great. This will actually be the first 6.5 I have officially owned. Have had ones in the family but none that were mine. I was always a 7mm guy in this size cartridge.

Last edited:
Just give me a reasonable minimum order amount and a $3ish price (or better of course) I am on board.

That saves me using a pull off savage receiver and barrel stub for fire forming because of the volume I will want to be using. Well worth for high quality brass for me anyways.

I would like if you could to do a pressure run up test on eval brass so we can see how tough it is. I expect it will be super strong like what I have seen of them in the past and their general rep still best to be safe. No one wants opening primer pockets after a couple reloads LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.